Author Topic: Press from HuffPo, and hello.  (Read 8062 times)

Offline fathi

Press from HuffPo, and hello.
« on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:28 pm »
Greetings,

Your site and forum have gotten some press lately:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wes-isley/native-american-religion_b_648437.html

You all might want to comment there for clarification.

As for me, I've been a student of anthropology and participant in revival-European spiritual traditions since the 80s.  I've seen a lot of posers, what you call "plastic shamans," and frauds who were in it only for the money and power/influence they exerted over others.  Acting as an anthropologist and researcher, I delved into the world of Harner's "core-shamanism" and even attended one of their patented weekend retreats (which cost an exorbitant sum, I might add, that I fortunately didn't have to pay)  and can say for sure that while there were genuine spiritual seekers in the crowd, the event was still tainted by the simple fact of a profit motive.  My take away from the whole experience is that:
1. With regard to indigenous spiritual traditions (of all societies), the "cat" is out of the bag; it's out there and good luck to anyone with the gumption to try and put it back in.
2. Well meaning seekers are being led astray by the "plastic shamans" of the world, but that doesn't mean every seeker is on the "wrong path."  The road is long and leads where it leads, sometimes back upon itself, sometimes in a particular direction, but always where it's meant to lead for that particular person.  I'm not one to judge anyone's journey, save where they take advantage of other folks weaknesses.

Keep up the good work and thanks for welcoming me to this forum.

fathi

Re: Press from HuffPo, and hello.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »
The comments are more informational than the article, that is, if one is trying to understand and learn from the indigenous point of view. 

press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline fathi

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 07:02:40 pm »
That was my impression as well.  I just wanted to make sure you folks knew you were being represented. 

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 07:53:49 pm »
The comments are more informational than the article, that is, if one is trying to understand and learn from the indigenous point of view.  

You're right Critter, the posts are much more interesting and informative than the article. I'm glad to see this Isley person getting his butt kicked all over the Huffpo board. I'd say the posts are running 98% against him. Unfortunately he's still not getting it and probably never will. He is the epitome of white whine.

Lim lemtsh,

Diana
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 11:40:23 pm by Diana »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 09:28:47 pm »
We're also discussing the HuffPo article, and its author, in this thread: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=2797

Offline CuAnnan

• Sagart na Gael
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:59:48 pm »
He is the epitome of white whine.
White wine?
I keep learning on this forum.
This is good.

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 02:27:14 pm »
He is the epitome of white whine.
White wine?

Nope, not wine. I really mean white whine.

Offline tecpaocelotl

• That one guy...
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 05:25:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

About the article, the writer doesn't get it.