Author Topic: John Colbert AKA Pushican AKA Lightning Bear  (Read 50134 times)

Offline V Hawkins

Re: John Colbert AKA Pushican AKA Lightning Bear
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 08:07:29 pm »
Colbert is a very prominent Chickasaw surname. They are neighbors to the Comanche in Oklahoma. Did yall say what part of Texas he was from? hat guy is sick.

vh

Offline sylvia

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2007, 07:01:45 pm »
frederica wrote:

I checked earlier and can only find that Nanatasis Bluto is Abenaki, claims Turtle Clan Mother. But they are only recognized in Canada, as were part of a Confederacy and very few still speak the language, mostly French now. Her background is Massage Therapy, Reiki, Therepeutic Touch, mostly Nuage. Plus she is working with a known fraud. Granted she may have helped. But it is best to be careful if she is passing of nuage theory as Traditiion Abenaki Medicine.

But she isn't. That she ALSO does massage therapy, Reiki, etc. doesn't mean she's mixing everything and "selling" it as Native American tradition. I'm a Reiki practitioner myself, and I wouldn't try to claim it was a, say, ancestral Buddhist tradition. I don't think there's anything wrong with being versatile. Sorry, I was never a big fan of Dhyani, but Nanatasis is a different matter. She's as real as it gets.

frederica

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 12:08:30 am »
To my knowledge she cannot be a Clan Mother if she is not Traditional. Traditionals have a Nation's land base, speak the language, and are knowledable of the culture. Traditionals do not teach Holistic Medicine. No disrespect, just an opinion.

Offline sylvia

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 01:24:40 pm »
Whatever. I do know, though, that she's an fervent activist against non-Natives exploiting native spirituality, i.e. non-Natives holding sweat lodges and doing "Native American teachings."

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 06:07:56 pm »
Reply #4
sylvia
I know how you guys feel about this, but when you hear those stories of simpler times, when women were revered as sacred and elders were respected and listened to, when a woman's moontime was viewed as a time of great power instead of a "curse" (as it has been in much of the Western world), when the connection with nature and the Creator were not just reserved for church on Sundays, but an integral part of daily life,  you can't help being intrigued. And I know many, many people who feel the same way.

Reply #11
sylvia
At the Elders Gathering, for example, there's always one Abenaki GM, Nanatasis Bluto-Delventhal, who seems very traditional; she usually does moontime teachings for women there. No fancy New Age content... only oral teachings, nothing written down... she says she doesn't take any money for teachings, ever... only asks that participants help to pay her expenses if she has to travel so that she at least doesn't LOSE money.

And I understand what you're saying, in terms of "you have to LIVE the culture to understand the spirituality," but I have to say that N's. moontime teachings have positively affected me, even though I haven't grown up in a tribe. So there definitely ARE some things that can be taught, even if they're just a fragment of the big picture.
-------------
Sylvia , I know it can be really confusing because there is often real traditions that get mixed with stuff people make up , and good experiences often gets mixed with other stuff that isn't so good.

When people attend an event looking to find something special , often they do , just because they are looking . 

If Nanatasi was truly traditional , I don't think she would have been comfortable attending Dhyani's gatherings . Just the charge to attend would have got most traditional people at least asking some probing questions about who these people were . I doubt any person who respects traditions would want to support someone like Dhyani who makes claims about herself which appear to be wholly fictional . But as you can see , Nanatasis has done this by giving workshops at these gatherings .

http://www.sunray.org/20th_Native_American_Elders__G/20th_native_american_elders__g.html
Elder & Workshop Presenter Bios

NANATASIS BLUTO-DELVENTAL, ABENAKI

Turtle Clan Mother/ Abenaki

* Sits as Elder on several Councils in Vermont & Nationally
    * Shares Abenaki Turtle Clan Moontime Teachings with women
    * Healer who works with herbs, massage therapy, Reiki, & Therapeutic Touch
    * Involved with Ceremonies & Counsels people
--------------

Gathering Registration Fees:

(Registration fee does not include camping.)

$155 - Adults 18 to 65, (all 3 days) Friday-Sunday

--------
We respectfully care-take the teachings and ceremonies shared during the Elders’ Gathering.   THESE TEACHINGS AND CEREMONIES CANNOT BE BOUGHT OR SOLD.  Modest registration fees help cover the travel, food, and accommodations for the Elders, their caretakers and families, and other administrative and promotional expense for the Gathering.  The Gathering is a “not for profit??? event run entirely by volunteers.
------------
Workshop Program Fees:

Half Day Workshops $40 per session
Full Day Workshops $80 per day

------------
Despite the words saying otherwise , there is a charge to attend . 

If Nanatasis is so concerned about people making stuff up and warping Native culture , it seems strange she would support someone who is doing this . And not only is she supporting someone who is doing this , she is actively participating by separating the "desireable" parts of the culture from the communities and context it belongs in , and  trimming this down to fit non native culture, by selling  "workshops" . This isn't in any way 'traditional', and I have doubts about how "real" this is  .

Tribes that had traditions around a womans moontime generally practiced some sort of total seclusion or exclusion from certain activities , for a few days every month . As woman who live together generally have their moontime about the same time , these woman would not be solitary but a part of the communities life and rythm .

So for one thing , I really doubt there is "traditional teachings " that can be seperated from the communitty and actual activities that woman traditionally participated in , or didn't participate in , during their moon time .

Though I have heard some woman talk of "moontime teachings", I've always wondered how much of these "moontime teachings" is really something traditional and how much is something some more modren women invented to make sense of traditions that seemed unfair, which they didn't understand . The reason I wonder this is because none of the older elders I have known , ever said anything about this , except in terms of what women should not do on their moontime , and they all seemed uncomfortable to say much at all .  My guess is , though Native cultures are generally deeply respectful of women , this is a part of many aspects of the culture , not just the moontime . As far as I have seen , most Native people are modest about these things , and probably wouldn't be going around doing workshops on "moontime teachings" - especially if the actual practices of seclusion and exclusion that went with these traditions, are discarded as "impractical' .   

That is one big thing I notice that happens when non native people start wanting to learn what they think is Native 'wisdom' . Non native people try and imitate this , by going for  the ideas , the imaginary , but there is no basis in the real and the practical. 

Sorry , but I think that is mostly about escapism .   

Sorry if this reply is getting way off topic of John Colbert AKA Pushican AKA Lightning Bear. I thought of starting another thread but so much is being talked about in this one i am not sure what to call it ...
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:49:10 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline crazyeagle

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 08:43:37 pm »
Mr Pushican appeared in the good company of Mr & Mrs Billington at the Bison Farm Pow Wow in the UK at the beginning of September this year.Mr & Mrs Billington who if you remember presumed to conduct a stomp dance at a Pagan Ceremony in the UK in February this year. Mr & Mrs Billington are now appearing at UK Pow Wows with the Cherokee Flag though nothing has been seen as conclusive evidence with regards to Mrs Billingtons "cherokee" heritage.     

Mr Billington is conducting physic reading in various towns in the UK dressed in native "regaila" along side Mrs Billington as a crystal therapist. The Mind Boggles.

The fact theat they are seen actively supporting a known convicted peodophile is condemning in itself. Especially at Pow Wow. It is well known that according to Pow Wow Etiquette no known Peodophile is accepted at Pow Wow.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 02:20:19 pm »
Reply #4
sylvia
I know how you guys feel about this, but when you hear those stories of simpler times, when women were revered as sacred and elders were respected and listened to, when a woman's moontime was viewed as a time of great power instead of a "curse" (as it has been in much of the Western world), when the connection with nature and the Creator were not just reserved for church on Sundays, but an integral part of daily life,  you can't help being intrigued. And I know many, many people who feel the same way.

Reply #11
sylvia
At the Elders Gathering, for example, there's always one Abenaki GM, Nanatasis Bluto-Delventhal, who seems very traditional; she usually does moontime teachings for women there. No fancy New Age content... only oral teachings, nothing written down... she says she doesn't take any money for teachings, ever... only asks that participants help to pay her expenses if she has to travel so that she at least doesn't LOSE money.

And I understand what you're saying, in terms of "you have to LIVE the culture to understand the spirituality," but I have to say that N's. moontime teachings have positively affected me, even though I haven't grown up in a tribe. So there definitely ARE some things that can be taught, even if they're just a fragment of the big picture.
-------------
Sylvia , I know it can be really confusing because there is often real traditions that get mixed with stuff people make up , and good experiences often gets mixed with other stuff that isn't so good.

When people attend an event looking to find something special , often they do , just because they are looking . 

If Nanatasi was truly traditional , I don't think she would have been comfortable attending Dhyani's gatherings . Just the charge to attend would have got most traditional people at least asking some probing questions about who these people were . I doubt any person who respects traditions would want to support someone like Dhyani who makes claims about herself which appear to be wholly fictional . But as you can see , Nanatasis has done this by giving workshops at these gatherings .

http://www.sunray.org/20th_Native_American_Elders__G/20th_native_american_elders__g.html
Elder & Workshop Presenter Bios

NANATASIS BLUTO-DELVENTAL, ABENAKI

Turtle Clan Mother/ Abenaki

* Sits as Elder on several Councils in Vermont & Nationally
    * Shares Abenaki Turtle Clan Moontime Teachings with women
    * Healer who works with herbs, massage therapy, Reiki, & Therapeutic Touch
    * Involved with Ceremonies & Counsels people
--------------

Gathering Registration Fees:

(Registration fee does not include camping.)

$155 - Adults 18 to 65, (all 3 days) Friday-Sunday

--------
We respectfully care-take the teachings and ceremonies shared during the Elders’ Gathering.   THESE TEACHINGS AND CEREMONIES CANNOT BE BOUGHT OR SOLD.  Modest registration fees help cover the travel, food, and accommodations for the Elders, their caretakers and families, and other administrative and promotional expense for the Gathering.  The Gathering is a “not for profit??? event run entirely by volunteers.
------------
Workshop Program Fees:

Half Day Workshops $40 per session
Full Day Workshops $80 per day

------------
Despite the words saying otherwise , there is a charge to attend . 

If Nanatasis is so concerned about people making stuff up and warping Native culture , it seems strange she would support someone who is doing this . And not only is she supporting someone who is doing this , she is actively participating by separating the "desireable" parts of the culture from the communities and context it belongs in , and  trimming this down to fit non native culture, by selling  "workshops" . This isn't in any way 'traditional', and I have doubts about how "real" this is  .

Tribes that had traditions around a womans moontime generally practiced some sort of total seclusion or exclusion from certain activities , for a few days every month . As woman who live together generally have their moontime about the same time , these woman would not be solitary but a part of the communities life and rythm .

So for one thing , I really doubt there is "traditional teachings " that can be seperated from the communitty and actual activities that woman traditionally participated in , or didn't participate in , during their moon time .

Though I have heard some woman talk of "moontime teachings", I've always wondered how much of these "moontime teachings" is really something traditional and how much is something some more modren women invented to make sense of traditions that seemed unfair, which they didn't understand . The reason I wonder this is because none of the older elders I have known , ever said anything about this , except in terms of what women should not do on their moontime , and they all seemed uncomfortable to say much at all .  My guess is , though Native cultures are generally deeply respectful of women , this is a part of many aspects of the culture , not just the moontime . As far as I have seen , most Native people are modest about these things , and probably wouldn't be going around doing workshops on "moontime teachings" - especially if the actual practices of seclusion and exclusion that went with these traditions, are discarded as "impractical' .   

That is one big thing I notice that happens when non native people start wanting to learn what they think is Native 'wisdom' . Non native people try and imitate this , by going for  the ideas , the imaginary , but there is no basis in the real and the practical. 

Sorry , but I think that is mostly about escapism .   

Sorry if this reply is getting way off topic of John Colbert AKA Pushican AKA Lightning Bear. I thought of starting another thread but so much is being talked about in this one i am not sure what to call it ...

Moma thank you for this.
I had to laugh at the Moon Time Teaching and then I had to ask what is that???
I have been going to our ceremonies for many years and never heard of this. we do have
unwritten laws concerning women's moon time but it is not spoken except among women.
The woman can not attend ceremonies on their moon time.
I also heard of moon camps at ceremonies WHAT!!!!!!
Stay away from the ground don't even go there! How hard is that. These people make up things
that get under my skin.
In Spirit

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 04:27:49 pm »
I have heard of "moontime ceremonies" being promoted by many Wiccans and white nuagers. There is a book, I think it is called "Indian SPirit Healing but I can't remember the author (she's English and I doubt has ever met real Indians), that has a 'channeled moon ceremony" promoted as a "Native ceremony." I have been asked to go to this more than once. I went one time out of curiosoty. It was absolutely bizaar. Basically, a guided meditation where everybody is told things like "imagine a golden drop of elixer falling from the moon onto your head" and "now put your hands on your heart chakra.." Oh, and the book it comes from tells the "correct way" to smudge. I, apparently do it wron g and had all eyes on me. LOL! Then everyone is supposed to share what they got from the "ceremony." Anyway, I have had more than one white woman tell me about the wonderful Inian moon ceremony they have been to and when I ask about it, it is this thing. Some tell, me that there teacher was given this ceremony and are truly surprised that it came from a book.

frederica

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:29 pm »
I was wondering where the idea of public "moon-time teaching" came from. If someone of these people channeled it, that to me is the same as make it up, then write a book. Sounds definately Nuage to me, know nothing of Wiccans. And just being old doesn't make a person an Tribal Elder. There's too much wrong with the whole picture.

Offline sylvia

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:09 pm »
Okay, I didn't want to go into THAT much detail about the moontime teachings, but here's some of it in short.

Woman is the oldest ceremony in the world because Creator gave us our moontime. The second-oldest ceremony is the sweat lodge because we crawl back into the womb of the Earth Mother to purify ourselves.

Women are sacred because all of mankind comes from the womb. The first thing a Native American girl learns from her mother and grandmother is than "women are born complete," they're born with a ceremony that was given by Creator. Our blood is sacred; it's the only blood that is shed without violence.

She talked about the old traditions: During moontime, a woman was not allowed to participate in any ceremonies, incl. sweat lodges, because the special power she has at that time can disrupt ceremony and can be dangerous to the other participants. Women in her tribe were staying in a "moon lodge" during their moons, to be able to rest, focus on visions (which are supposedly stronger than normal during that time) and do easy needlework and such. Men were not allowed in the moon lodge, and the other, non-menstruating women would take care of the children and bring the "moon mamas" food and drink. During their moontime, a woman shouldn't have sex, but focus on herself, her dreams and visions.

When a woman reaches menopause, she should be allowed (and allow herself) a period of grief, a "crying time." In the old times, women got together for "crying circles," to listen to each other's stories, grieve together and support each other. If a woman doesn't grieve properly, the underlying anger and grief can get stuck and manifest in disease.

She also talked about how everyone walks around asking "What's my purpose in life? What's my mission?" She says sometimes it's just to be a good human being, and that we shouldn't envy others for their life path.

She talked about how Native American children used to grow up, i.e. boys stayed with their mothers, grannies and aunties until they were about six, and then the fathers would start taking them out to do "man things." Community and family life is very important to raise children, as are rites of passage to make the shift from child to adult. The rite of passage for a girl was usually when she got her first period, the rite for a boy was usually a vision quest. She said that, since non-natives forgot about their own rites of passage and don't practice them anymore, more and more men stay boys all their lives and want the women they marry to be their surrogate mothers. (That is certainly true, I know a lot of those men.)

You know, things like that. It may sound totally trivial to you, but don't forget, many white people have drifted so far away from their roots and are so overcivilized -- and I'm sure many natives as well -- that it feels like coming home when you hear this simple stuff. Traditional or not, I really don't care... it makes total sense to me, and it's uplifting, especially when you come from a patriarchal culture where women are often diminished and treated like second-class citizens. BTW, Nanatasis' moontime teachings were always free (and only for women), even though I know that she did do some workshops following the Elders Gathering.

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 10:34:59 pm »
Many cultures around the world have segregated woman on their moontime .

Not all American Indians did this ,  but for those that did , it was a practice , not just an idea . 

Is anyone who attends those workshops going to start a moonlodge in their community , or build a menstrual hut in the back yard, where they will stay for the duration of every moontime ? Or are these "traditional teachings " just invented out of selected pieces of the original traditions , because they sound nice , like the idea a womans moontime is a ceremony  - but it's OK to ignore all the parts that might be unpleasant or hard work  ?

The mandatory community tradition of some tribes , where ALL woman were EXPECTED to go and sit for a few days EVERY month , whether they felt like it or not , whether they have other important plans or not , whether they liked the other woman they were with or not, with no TV or computers or books to distract anyone from themselves or each other , would have a profound affect on any community . But as something you hear about in a workshop, what use is it ? So you come away
with some fuzzy notion about the profound power of woman , and that somehow the the moontime in some cultures is  a important part of this .  So what ?

It's like going to a workshop teaching biodynamic pineapple growing , when you live in Northern Montana . It's a dream ... Whats the point ?

A deep respect for women is a good idea , but that is something that needs to be practiced in a whole culture  . What is the point in a bunch of woman paying to go to a workshop where someone tells them if they lived in a totally different culture they would have been treated with more respect , been considered more important , more powerful ?

And I bet these same woman who attend these workshops and dream about how much better and more Spiritual these cultures that had moon time traditions were , would quickly change their tune and begin bitterly complaining , when they discovered they weren't free to do whatever they liked , when they liked , and they were actually EXPECTED to spend their moontime in a moonlodge , or abide by other moontime restrictions and rules . You do realize that in the cultures that practice these traditions of seclusion and exclusion , it is women's duty to respect these restrictions . Whether she feels like it or not . 

I notice the whole concept of doing your duty , whether you like it or not , doesn't get brought up in these New Age workshops very often . Did Nanatasis explain that part to you as well ? Sorry if this sounds really cynical , but what I see, is these workshops are almost always about fantasy and a quick way to "self improvement" and a sense of greater "self importance' . There is nothing "traditional" about that.   

In my opinion a workshop organizing real ways to create an interconnected , supportive
community , would be a lot more interesting and useful than a bunch of people fantasizing about a culture somewhere else , that probably never existed as they imagine it, and which they can never be part of, no matter how many workshops they go to .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 03:41:54 am by Moma_porcupine »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2007, 12:52:20 am »
When a woman reaches menopause, she should be allowed (and allow herself) a period of grief, a "crying time." In the old times, women got together for "crying circles," to listen to each other's stories, grieve together and support each other. If a woman doesn't grieve properly, the underlying anger and grief can get stuck and manifest in disease.

I had to laugh at this one , Where is the common sense?? For the Lakota people they were moving all the time no one is going to stop for women! I understand what the white culture has done to their women but in my part of the world women are the ones that are in charge.
We know that during our moon we stay away from things like the drum/pipe/ceremonies/, but we still have families to care for. We all just have a place outside our homes to keep sacred things. NO woman in my tribe can be a medicine woman untuil they are passed their moon. It is a happy time because you can do so much more. I have lived among my people all my life and never heard of any of this stuff.
In Spirit

frederica

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2007, 02:55:19 am »
Well the Abenaki were Algonquin, but aside from the vague history lesson, I think this is more the root. http://www.abenaki-reiki.com/sacredmoon.htm

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 04:12:49 am »
From sources on line it sounds like the Abenaki did practice the seclusion of women on their time .

http://www.everyculture.com/North-America/Abenaki-Marriage-and-Family.html
Women were isolated during menstruation.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SRiFrTZCGvQC&pg=PA184&lpg=PA184&dq=abenaki+
menstruation&source=web&ots=WiR4upJGTb&sig=0-p8QvW3I_MExaJeSjdXyQMWx3s

The Original Vermonters: Native Inhabitants, Past and Present
 By William A. Haviland, Marjory W. Power
Girls went into seclusion at first menstruation , for women in such a state were considered poison to men .

http://www.multiculturalcanada.ca/ecp/content/aboriginals_algonquians_eastern_woodlands.html

A girl’s first menses often met with some sort of ceremonial rite. Women sought seclusion at this time and for each succeeding menses thereafter.

Many other tribes did this too - for instance ;

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:38NHT186hRsJ:www.city.davis.ca.us/target/deir/
vol2/Appendix_G.pdf+%22menstrual+hut%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=91&gl=ca

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3687/is_200301/ai_n9183485/pg_1

http://www.chickasaw.net/site06/heritage/250_971.htm

The thing is , these traditions are some of the first things that got discouraged by missionaries and I really doubt any Abenaki have practiced seclusion of menstruating women for hundreds of years .

I know some younger Native women who seem to accept the idea of "moon time teachings" , but like i said this seems to be something getting reinvented by the younger generation and it isn't the same as what I heard from the older generation  .

By all accounts when tribes did this , it was serious business and if women didn't do this , all sorts of things were thought to go wrong because of them . These restrictions weren't optional . I don't see how a woman who didn't grow up with these strict rules could learn any type of moon time teachings . It seems like taking the wet out of water . 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:16:49 am by Moma_porcupine »

frederica

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 04:30:55 am »
Yes, I agree, I think she was speaking of what happen in the very distant past. I spoke with a friend in Maine and he said no one is sure what happen to them, either disease, assimulation by Tribes or intermarriage. There are still people of heritage in the area but most of their culture has been lost or has to be reinvented. Only one dialect is still spoken, and that is only by a very few Elders in Canada. It is unfortunate it is being mixed with Nuage practices.