Author Topic: Pete Bernard  (Read 80490 times)

Offline Superdog

Re: Pete Bernard
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 04:15:57 pm »
I don't disagree critter. I could say a whole lot on the quality I see offered in his services, but my main concern is when someone says they represent a community...do they represent that community.  From what I see....the community he says he represents has no problem with him selling every new age "shamanism teaching" while using his membership in the community to do so. 

But I could be wrong...the website is really only one voice.  The blurb on the website looks like it was written by Pete...but they include it in its entirety.  I'd be interested more in hearing first hand accounts from people from the community, but if this holds true then it's not my place to say he's wrong....(even though I think as Native peoples he's setting us backward in regards to cultural appropriation).

Superdog

Offline TaiChiJohn

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 04:34:46 pm »
To my mind, it is an evolutionary fluke that we humans have even managed to develop a consciousness of our own consciousness. I suspect this occurred because of environmental conditions (dormant olfactory neurology being co-opted by other neural processes during the last ice age, when there would be little to smell at all for extended periods of time in northern latitudes), and then became incorporated into shared cultural practices which spread throughout humanity (as a matter of cultural, not genetic, evolution - the underlying genetic developments where already in place for all peoples everywhere).

Of course, this means that our sense of consciousness-of-self is a fragile, conditional thing; and it seems probable that within many cultures, small groups of people developed specific techniques for cultivating this invaluable conceptual development. this, I think, is what underlies many of the 'spiritual' techniques that have persisted from early cultures: not an ability to develop mental powers we no longer have access to, but techniques for cultivating mental abilities we all take for granted in our modern day and age. Yet many do now develop this now standard ability with specific contingencies impacting the stability of their mental health; and thus some of the ancient techniques from these technologies for self consciousness are still viable and valuable practices today.

I woud tend to take the word of someone who spends two or three hours a day engaged in such consciousness technologies over that of someone who spends that same two or three hours watching television. 

I don't know what people expect to see from someone like Pete Barnard, but I think that in some cases unrealistic expectations might blind some to the true value of what is being offered by sincere and dedicated practitioners such as Pete.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »
What do we want to see "The truth"
As a native who lives among my people we have been taught what is right and what is not right,
There are no Shamans in America, there is no selling of spirituality, we dont develop school to teach people,
we dont mix eastern religion with our ways.
I see many people who may have gifts but when they mix those gift with lies what kind of power do you
end up with Corrupt power. 
None of these belong to native people here why sell them? "Himalayan juice, Qui Jong, "luminous healing" Chakras,  and "Inka shamanism".
Oh wait............................... :o according to the LOST white people they have rights to everything and if it makes them feel good
it must be good.
Wrong is wrong some people are so damaged that they will believe anything that makes them feel good.
In Spirit

Offline Superdog

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 04:49:40 pm »
To my mind, it is an evolutionary fluke that we humans have even managed to develop a consciousness of our own consciousness. I suspect this occurred because of environmental conditions (dormant olfactory neurology being co-opted by other neural processes during the last ice age, when there would be little to smell at all for extended periods of time in northern latitudes), and then became incorporated into shared cultural practices which spread throughout humanity (as a matter of cultural, not genetic, evolution - the underlying genetic developments where already in place for all peoples everywhere).

Of course, this means that our sense of consciousness-of-self is a fragile, conditional thing; and it seems probable that within many cultures, small groups of people developed specific techniques for cultivating this invaluable conceptual development. this, I think, is what underlies many of the 'spiritual' techniques that have persisted from early cultures: not an ability to develop mental powers we no longer have access to, but techniques for cultivating mental abilities we all take for granted in our modern day and age. Yet many do now develop this now standard ability with specific contingencies impacting the stability of their mental health; and thus some of the ancient techniques from these technologies for self consciousness are still viable and valuable practices today.

I woud tend to take the word of someone who spends two or three hours a day engaged in such consciousness technologies over that of someone who spends that same two or three hours watching television. 

I don't know what people expect to see from someone like Pete Barnard, but I think that in some cases unrealistic expectations might blind some to the true value of what is being offered by sincere and dedicated practitioners such as Pete.

Honestly....you don't help him much with this....

Just a thought...

Superdog

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:42 pm »
Quite a statement to say humans are the only ones with consciousness of self.

Too many people get too messed up with too much thinking.
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline TaiChiJohn

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 10:30:54 pm »
Quite a statement to say humans are the only ones with consciousness of self.

Too many people get too messed up with too much thinking.

With all of the higher primates that have been taught sign language, one thing has never happened: none have ever asked a question, because none realize others might have knowledge they do not. They do not realize that other animals are separate from them in having an individual consciousness.

Thinking is not a problem - lack of thought is the issue in most cases.

I don't agree that First Nations members should isolate themselves from the general economy: I hear that argument all too often, in the context of land claims, from racists who say "Well then they shouldn't be using cars and other modern technology if they want their land back."

Many early Jesuit missionaries took First Nations stories, inserted biblical elements, and re-introduced those stories back into First Nations culture in order to expedite the establishment of christianity; so it can be problematic to say what is and is not "authentic" to First Nations culture. Telling people that they should do things for free, for instance, is a very "christian" approach toward having others carry burdens which do not belong to them; and we could all carry crosses if convinced to do so but it is often better to learn how to put them down. Sometimes, those who want to disparage First Nations healers do so from the standpoint of evangelical christianity - not as a matter of reasoned discourse concerning "that which actually is."

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:58 pm »
That's your proof? That apes who know sign language haven't asked a question? Until you are an ape, perhaps you shouldn't speak of what they feel consciously.

And.. what kind of b.s. is that about peoples land. So, if you own land and someone comes and takes it from you, or tries to, then you shouldn't use a car or a computer?

Thinking is often a problem. Perhaps you should think about that.

I'll leave what is authentic to Native peoples to Native peoples, they are the only people who know.

As for doing things for free being Christian, um.. no, perhaps they incorporated that idea when they incorporated aspects of other beliefs into their own in order to appease people of those times.. but no, I know no Christians who don't pay.. or "tithe" is that the proper word?

I don't understand your point of disparaging Native healers. I don't believe there is anyone on this forum doing so. If that is what you are taking away from this discourse, then you have not understood. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:40:06 pm by critter - a white non-ndn person »
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Superdog

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:23 pm »

Many early Jesuit missionaries took First Nations stories, inserted biblical elements, and re-introduced those stories back into First Nations culture in order to expedite the establishment of christianity; so it can be problematic to say what is and is not "authentic" to First Nations culture. Telling people that they should do things for free, for instance, is a very "christian" approach toward having others carry burdens which do not belong to them; and we could all carry crosses if convinced to do so but it is often better to learn how to put them down. Sometimes, those who want to disparage First Nations healers do so from the standpoint of evangelical christianity - not as a matter of reasoned discourse concerning "that which actually is."

John....you do realize you're talking to Natives here...and to top it all off your spouting uneducated gems such as this one as if they were true....

"Many early Jesuit missionaries took First Nations stories, inserted biblical elements, and re-introduced those stories back into First Nations culture in order to expedite the establishment of christianity;"

Wow....where did you learn that one? 
You got a lot of opinions.  Not a lot of info and you're embarrassing yourself, but I'm pretty sure you don't realize that.

Superdog

Autumn

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 01:54:28 am »
What do we want to see "The truth"
As a native who lives among my people we have been taught what is right and what is not right,
There are no Shamans in America, there is no selling of spirituality, we dont develop school to teach people,
we dont mix eastern religion with our ways.
I see many people who may have gifts but when they mix those gift with lies what kind of power do you
end up with Corrupt power. 
None of these belong to native people here why sell them? "Himalayan juice, Qui Jong, "luminous healing" Chakras,  and "Inka shamanism".
Oh wait............................... :o according to the LOST white people they have rights to everything and if it makes them feel good
it must be good.
Wrong is wrong some people are so damaged that they will believe anything that makes them feel good.

Thank you for your comments, Earth.  There is so much wisdom in your words and you make the most sense with the least amount of words.  I agree with you that something positive can be used in an evil way.  Sad but true.

Offline TaiChiJohn

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 02:28:09 am »

John....you do realize you're talking to Natives here...and to top it all off your spouting uneducated gems such as this one as if they were true....

"Many early Jesuit missionaries took First Nations stories, inserted biblical elements, and re-introduced those stories back into First Nations culture in order to expedite the establishment of christianity;"

You got a lot of opinions.  Not a lot of info and you're embarrassing yourself, but I'm pretty sure you don't realize that.

Superdog

Well, Superdog, I learned that one when talking to members of a group called YIEMS in Vancouver Canada back in the 1990's; a group of First Nations writers who have been trying to reclaim their traditional stories. I knew that what they told me was true because I actually found and read a copy of one such collection: a book republished as "The Book of Dene." I came upon that while working for a paper called The Native Press, operated for First Nations by First Nations under the auspices of The Native Communication Society of the Northwest Territories in Yellowknife, Canada.

The thing about the cross is one of the criticisms Nietszche had concerning how organised religion is so intent upon sucking all the fun out of people's lives. But of course there is also a control thing happening there, the same kind of thing one sees with the crypto-fascistic approach of may new age 'religions' wherein "mysteries" are simply a means for keeping people uninformed and so in thrall to an all-knowing leader.

Anyway, I happened upon this group when I googled Pete Barnard's name; because I wanted to see what he was up to these days. I joined up just to mention that, in my opinion, Pete is who he says he is and is sincere in what he is doing. I'm not going to spend my time arguing with people here for the sake of having an argument: as a photographer, desktop publisher, graphic artist, and writer I have no difficulty finding people who would love to have me do stuff for them for free but, I have to make a living so I try to minimise doing that as much as I can. I also don't get paid to do philosophy but I enjoy doing that so I do it for free.

The comment I made about land claims was an observation about what I have seen too many times: the idea that anyone owns history, be it the modern age or the distant past. That which is historical belongs to us all, it is our common heritage as humans. In Canada, the First Nations have distinct rights enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and some people seem to think that having such rights somehow disentitles the First Nations from partaking in the modern era, which is of course a ridiculous position to try and argue. My position is and has always been that, if the First Nations were paid what is due to them for the resources extracted from their traditional territories then they wouldn't have any of the problems they now face, which are directly related to poverty and the marginalization caused by economic exclusion.

I don't know why people here saw fit to go after Pete Barnard but I sincerely believe you have made a mistake in doing so. 

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 04:34:46 am »

Superdog

Well, Superdog, I learned that one when talking to members of a group called YIEMS in Vancouver Canada back in the 1990's; a group of First Nations writers who have been trying to reclaim their traditional stories. I knew that what they told me was true because I actually found and read a copy of one such collection: a book republished as "The Book of Dene." I came upon that while working for a paper called The Native Press, operated for First Nations by First Nations under the auspices of The Native Communication Society of the Northwest Territories in Yellowknife, Canada.

The thing about the cross is one of the criticisms Nietszche had concerning how organised religion is so intent upon sucking all the fun out of people's lives. But of course there is also a control thing happening there, the same kind of thing one sees with the crypto-fascistic approach of may new age 'religions' wherein "mysteries" are simply a means for keeping people uninformed and so in thrall to an all-knowing leader.

Anyway, I happened upon this group when I googled Pete Barnard's name; because I wanted to see what he was up to these days. I joined up just to mention that, in my opinion, Pete is who he says he is and is sincere in what he is doing. I'm not going to spend my time arguing with people here for the sake of having an argument: as a photographer, desktop publisher, graphic artist, and writer I have no difficulty finding people who would love to have me do stuff for them for free but, I have to make a living so I try to minimise doing that as much as I can. I also don't get paid to do philosophy but I enjoy doing that so I do it for free.

The comment I made about land claims was an observation about what I have seen too many times: the idea that anyone owns history, be it the modern age or the distant past. That which is historical belongs to us all, it is our common heritage as humans. In Canada, the First Nations have distinct rights enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and some people seem to think that having such rights somehow disentitles the First Nations from partaking in the modern era, which is of course a ridiculous position to try and argue. My position is and has always been that, if the First Nations were paid what is due to them for the resources extracted from their traditional territories then they wouldn't have any of the problems they now face, which are directly related to poverty and the marginalization caused by economic exclusion.

I don't know why people here saw fit to go after Pete Barnard but I sincerely believe you have made a mistake in doing so.

Ok so I guess you know it all by talking with one group (not the Native people) but a group of people.i am getting this right? You are so much great than everyone else that you believe a man who lies about his self to save you?   I am a historian for my people my people histories have been record in our winter counts for over 2000 years i know who i am. We have never lost our stories our histories and our culture in fact we still live it everyday. i am sorry but YOU DONT OWN MY HISTORY and you don't even know my history as a people. Where did you get these ideals from even though i reside in America, i am not disentitled. I have a college degree and work for a living but i live my culture, spirituality and way of life very much in the modern world but i follow my morals and values of my people. I find your statement so far away from what my people are today. How little you know of life, its no wonder you come to defend a fake.
The last thing i have to say is WE ARE IDLE NO MORE!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 04:45:00 am by earthw7 »
In Spirit

Offline Superdog

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 11:14:42 am »

Once again...a lot of opinions.  Not a lot of info.  smh....
Does your ego always get in the way like this?  You actually gave a short primer on The Native Press like nobody here would know what that was.  Your reasoning for believing your info to be "true" is the same reasoning behind people posting unmerited memes on their facebook walls (i.e. "I saw it on the internet...it must be true).  You find one book...from one mission about one tribe (with no proof about the people you're talking about)....and somehow you've stretched your interpretation across all of NDN country.   Here's one more bit of info you fail to consider...we are not all the same. 

But I've been saying a few times now that you don't really help Pete.  You're a clear example of what goes wrong in these types of situations...

Superdog

Offline TaiChiJohn

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2013, 05:41:14 pm »

Does your ego always get in the way like this?  You actually gave a short primer on The Native Press like nobody here would know what that was.  Your reasoning for believing your info to be "true" is the same reasoning behind people posting unmerited memes on their facebook walls (i.e. "I saw it on the internet...it must be true).  You find one book...from one mission about one tribe (with no proof about the people you're talking about)....and somehow you've stretched your interpretation across all of NDN country.   Here's one more bit of info you fail to consider...we are not all the same. 

But I've been saying a few times now that you don't really help Pete.  You're a clear example of what goes wrong in these types of situations...

Superdog

I find it interesting that, having signed in to offer my experience regarding a person who was under attack here, I was in turn attacked.

One person here actually seemed to take the time to look into the situation, and found that Pete Barnard is indeed recognised within his own community for what he does. Everyone else just turned to attack me.

I would suggest to you that, when a group of people get together and end up one-uping each other in denouncing others, then a dynamic inevitably develops whereby denouncing others takes precedence over actually looking into the situations which are supposedly being investigated.

This isn't a new phenomenon but it is one which has reached epidemic proportions with the introduction of the internet; because now groups can just connect with the like-minded, instead of interacting with society at large.

I am finding the arguments advanced here in support of your position(s) to be formulaic at best, with little regard to real life situations. There seems to be no concern given toward actual experience, and a very heavy weighting given over to what are essentially ideological determinations as to what is right and what is wrong.

I would suggest to you that, given the small number of genuine teachers relative to the abundance of frauds who are out there, that your efforts might actually be counter-productive if you end up denouncing legitimate teachers in your zeal to uncover posers.

I am nobody's ideal anything; I'm just a person who tries to do the right thing when I can. I am well aware of the diversity and depth of First Nations' culture; for the past twenty years, I have been working on reconstructing the traditional form of image writing used by the First Nations. I know that the First Nations were here in North America before the last ice age. I know that they were the people who invented writing. I know that they had a system for mapping their traditional territories. I know that their languages, systems of writing, and traditions are bio-regional. I have been entrusted with artefacts that are tens of thousands of years old, because sometimes a person well suited to do something makes themselves available and there isn't really anyone else to rely upon at that point in time.

I am very good at taijiquan, because I had to be: I've had very large (white) people try to beat me up in the attempt to stop me from helping as best I can (twice). I've had someone try to hit me with a speeding car. I've still kept going, doing the best I can with the training I have. This includes meditative practices drawn from Eastern traditions (I've had some of the best teachers in North America and, indeed, in the world); and so, when I see someone like Pete Barnard who is obviously very skilled at what he does, my impulse is to support him because in the real world people like him can and do make a positive difference.

It has always been my understanding and experience that members of the First Nations judge people as individuals, for are who they are as a person. That has been not my experience here in this group.

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 06:54:35 pm »
No one is attacking you.
No one has denounced Bernard. In fact, it was pointed out that he may be supported by his community.
No one is one-uping another here.

Everything is written here very clearly, why you are not able to understand, I do not know, but it's very clear.
It's very simple. Traditional Native does not charge fees.

This guy is getting rich.. 90.00 for private healing..  too bad for those in need..
and 850.00 to 'earn the light' .... :/

There's something wrong with that.. if you don't think so, that's your privilege.  But to come to a forum
where people are trying to fight this kind of exploitation and state that this is OK, is well, silly at best. What
could you expect except that some of us are going to point out the red flags on this type of activity and
give our experience and opinions on why it's wrong.

I don't speak for anyone but myself, and for me, this type of activity is wrong. If he was truly purposed to
help people reach more of their own spirituality or higher energy, then he wouldn't be charging fees, and
certainly not incredible fees.

IMO Charging fees changes the purpose. The purpose is twisted and no longer about helping people, but
about making a living.. and then some.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 02:54:17 am »

Superdog

I find it interesting that, having signed in to offer my experience regarding a person who was under attack here, I was in turn attacked.

One person here actually seemed to take the time to look into the situation, and found that Pete Barnard is indeed recognised within his own community for what he does. Everyone else just turned to attack me.

I would suggest to you that, when a group of people get together and end up one-uping each other in denouncing others, then a dynamic inevitably develops whereby denouncing others takes precedence over actually looking into the situations which are supposedly being investigated.

This isn't a new phenomenon but it is one which has reached epidemic proportions with the introduction of the internet; because now groups can just connect with the like-minded, instead of interacting with society at large.

I am finding the arguments advanced here in support of your position(s) to be formulaic at best, with little regard to real life situations. There seems to be no concern given toward actual experience, and a very heavy weighting given over to what are essentially ideological determinations as to what is right and what is wrong.

I would suggest to you that, given the small number of genuine teachers relative to the abundance of frauds who are out there, that your efforts might actually be counter-productive if you end up denouncing legitimate teachers in your zeal to uncover posers.

I am nobody's ideal anything; I'm just a person who tries to do the right thing when I can. I am well aware of the diversity and depth of First Nations' culture; for the past twenty years, I have been working on reconstructing the traditional form of image writing used by the First Nations. I know that the First Nations were here in North America before the last ice age. I know that they were the people who invented writing. I know that they had a system for mapping their traditional territories. I know that their languages, systems of writing, and traditions are bio-regional. I have been entrusted with artefacts that are tens of thousands of years old, because sometimes a person well suited to do something makes themselves available and there isn't really anyone else to rely upon at that point in time.

I am very good at taijiquan, because I had to be: I've had very large (white) people try to beat me up in the attempt to stop me from helping as best I can (twice). I've had someone try to hit me with a speeding car. I've still kept going, doing the best I can with the training I have. This includes meditative practices drawn from Eastern traditions (I've had some of the best teachers in North America and, indeed, in the world); and so, when I see someone like Pete Barnard who is obviously very skilled at what he does, my impulse is to support him because in the real world people like him can and do make a positive difference.

It has always been my understanding and experience that members of the First Nations judge people as individuals, for are who they are as a person. That has been not my experience here in this group.

I think everything you said is what you are doing, like how you tend to make a point that you know us better than we know us. That so nice of you for help native people. ut you do not speak for us. You still do not know us. Plus you support a man who is not right
In Spirit