Author Topic: Santee of South Carolina??  (Read 42906 times)

Offline bullhead

Re: Santee of South Carolina??
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2009, 02:06:03 pm »
you raise many questions earthw7 most of them you need to answer yourself call these people up or send them an e-mail.I won`t bad mouth them or defend them.
you do ask one question in your last post,that i might have some insight on.
the Santee tribe in question is from south carolina not from the north west.the whiteman gave people here in the east TWO choices when they were being FORCED TO MIGRATE go to oklahoma or DIE.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:25:02 am »
Since the Isanti were a large tribe in the Minnesota are in the 1500s and 1600s
why did they not come home?
In Spirit

Offline antiunilateral43

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:45 am »
question why would they be called Isanti and not by their band name
why not by there tiospaye name.
Why would they go to Olklahome if they belong to us? Why not return to their
people if they are a part of us.

I believe they are some band or clan of an eastern tribe that had a name sounding
close to ours.

I guess i would need proof. Show me

Is there a. Possibility that there was indeed a massive migration from the southeast and perhaps a portion for whatever reason chose to stay behind and we have been separated by years of  time " slaughter " generational trauma" which is just one portion. Of a much greater list?
I'm willing to believe that we aren't a part of the same nation as long as you can provide me with proof that we aren't..
Maybe its not a question of proof that we are...?
I'd very much like to learn about my Santee ancestry in south Carolina without having to go thru any of this with a people who would outrightly claim we weren't the same people.
But for the sake of argument ....let's say we were ..and ITT was true......then.....will you open your door to me to teach me ways and traditions which have died out on the east coast??
If I could prove it tomorrow ...would u guys let us come home?  Think I'm more curious about that....I know for a fact that Santee  our Santee in the southeast don't even have ceremony.  No wiwang wacipi. Ini GHA GHA orways. bedecha
I'd rather you open your borders so I can learn those things and take care of myself spiritually than some dudes rules as to whether or not I'm native enough and have a card...not to stray off topic.  But I believe in these ways "respectfully"

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 04:55:02 am »
i guess we should start with what stories do you think you have about my people,
second remember if you don't know your family you are not native because being Native is
knowing your family, and yes i can say this.
Now as the tribal historian I can tell we have NO stories of our people being on the east coast,
we know that we were in South American traveled up the gulf of Mexico then up the Mississippi to
Michigan in the 1200 to 1300 we lived in the area from Michigan to Minnesota i have walked our old
village sites there, in 1700 we created the Seven council fire which is our government system to formalized
our government, the lakota separated from the dakota in 1600s in Minnesota. The four band of the Isant or as
white people say santee are very distinct. Isanti is the people of the knife,
I have to laugh at some of the new age people who say things like peace and harmony ext.. that is not us
we are warrior will fight you, as we do today to protect our culture.
No we don't have to invite you

In Spirit

Offline antiunilateral43

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:27 pm »
Why the mention of fighting ?? I'm still in need of the proof that we aren't that u haven't provided me with here
Do u have a site I could visit ? Elders I can talk to?

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Re: Grant H. Smith / Grant Redhawk / Two Feathers
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 07:55:42 pm »
ok thats nice i know your just learning but never heard my language spelled that way, but as i said you are just learning,
as a new learner the first lesson is be quiet and listen as i see you have not done that, I live my culture everyday and
know my stories and who i am. I find that when you are a damaged person you will hung on to anything,
if you can give me dates when this Native group lived in South carolina i can look though our winter counts for a story
or any information. The Isanti Oyate still is very much alive.
In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »
thats me i am the tribal historian, and yes our nation is known for fighting :D ;D
I always tell people we are not those peace and harmony
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 08:07:40 pm »
Why the mention of fighting ?? I'm still in need of the proof that we aren't that u haven't provided me with here
Do u have a site I could visit ? Elders I can talk to?

We don't need to prove a negative.

Anti, you are talking to an elder (earthw7). You just don't like what she has to say. :) And other elders are reading this. We know one another here, in person as well as online. We know who our core members are and we have a long history with one another. Please go back and read the pinned threads in all the sections.

I reiterate everything that's already been said to you: if you can't show that you are a relative, no one owes you anything. You have not shown that you are related to anyone here.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:11 pm »
I guess i should not be so forward  :o
I will try and explain as far as history is concerned i can find no evidence of
our people living on the east coast now if a trader took his family out east to trade
and established relationship there i can see how we would be related.
Since the Oceti Sakowin was not created until 1500 to formalize our government at Mille Lac
in Minnesota. In the 1600 we were developing our bands as you know today. The Isanti were in the
Mille Lac area from 1300 to late 1700s. The largest band of Isanti are the Mdewakantonana, whom land
base was from Wisconsin to the Missouri River. Sisseton, Wahpetu and wahpeton were along the Minnesota river
from 1500 to 1863.
How could there be a Oceti Sakowin on the east coast at the same time?
i would ask the year you think they were out east?
I am surprised that people think we dont know our history i can tell you my history for 2 thousand years.
I know my family going back to 1700s

In Spirit

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »
I guess i should not comment on this but i really can find no history among our people for this belief,
I know there are words in every Native culture that sounds like another but we are all from this country.
so we share just like the english language it is shared from many cultures.
There are myths out there that have spread that have no truth to them sorry to hurt feeling but it is
time for the truth.
In Spirit

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 11:29:00 pm »
hmmmmmm

a buncha "occaneechee", "santee","tuscarora" and "saponi" people been talking all kinds of crap to me in FB for years.....even went as far as making fake pages about me and calling me a sellout and a blood quantum nazi and putting words in my mouth....there were a few other "tribes" now whose names all escape me....one of em even claims to be a tribe of mixed blood cherokee/sioux and have state recognition.....twinkies favorite 2 tribes......add lenape in there and we have a trifecta

funny thing is.....there aint a single indian among them.....they are all BLACK!!

and they LOVE giving me half-assed history "lessons" and many times trying to educate me on things i already know

i have a lakota friend who went out to the carolinas and virginia a few years ago and he went to a few powwows in that area and left all of them early.....he never went to a single powwow out that way after his first 3 or 4 experiences...

i have another friend who went out there and thought that it was insane place because of all the blacks and occasional white out there claiming to be sioux...or "eastern siouxan"...............why arent blacks happy just being black and white happy just being white?

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »
in my research i have found a black church that called it self blackfoot but they were not related to any tribe
but came up with the myth of being from the Lakota nation then we had this ideal of the Santee being in the carolinas
but to this day I can find no relationship the people out east come up with date of contact  for the tribes on the east
coast but we were still forming our bands in the west.
In Spirit

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2014, 03:08:57 pm »
as far as "eastern siouxan" languages....how come every one of them i have talked to say that the language was lost....bu they are trying to resurrect it?

most of em are just like the "yamasee"......but without the absurd afrocentric claims and stories.................buncha fakes if you ask me......and according to any L/D/N i know they all think they are fake also

seems like someone likes going through archives of 300 year old documents and pulling the name of some small obscure tribe and ressurecting it as an existing people

not saying there arent blacks out there with no indian blood.....i know many mixed bloods.....i know a few black PODIAs too, some are just normal people comfortable with identifying as black (who i think may be more legit) and some that claim to be SUPERNDN (who for some reason have very dubious claims).....

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2014, 12:48:28 am »
From the history of Clarendon County, South Carolina:

Clarendon county  is named after Edward Hyde, the Earl of Clarendon, friend and supporter of King Charles II of England. At one time he served as the Lord High Chancellor of England. He was one of the lords proprietors to whom the King gave all the land in this part of the American colonies.

In 1701, John Lawson, an English trader and explorer wrote of the Santee Indians of this area. In his writings he spoke of the friendliness and hospitality of the Santees. Examples of their ways of life and customs can still be found in and around their burial mounds at Fort Watson near the Santee waters.

In 1711 the Santee Indians joined the settlers to fight the Tuscarora Indians of North Carolina, but in 1715 the Santees joined the Yemassee Indians in a war to destroy the South Carolina settlers, and they almost succeeded. The few Indians left at the end of that war moved up the river to join the Catawba Indians, leaving no Santee Indians in our county.

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2014, 01:14:14 am »
These peoples name was actually Iswan'ti (Catawba - People of the river).  Like the Catawba they were of the Siouan language base.  I was under the impression that more than likely they were a Catawba band and that Santee was a Spanish bastardization of their actual name. 

From the history of Clarendon County, South Carolina:

Clarendon county  is named after Edward Hyde, the Earl of Clarendon, friend and supporter of King Charles II of England. At one time he served as the Lord High Chancellor of England. He was one of the lords proprietors to whom the King gave all the land in this part of the American colonies.

In 1701, John Lawson, an English trader and explorer wrote of the Santee Indians of this area. In his writings he spoke of the friendliness and hospitality of the Santees. Examples of their ways of life and customs can still be found in and around their burial mounds at Fort Watson near the Santee waters.

In 1711 the Santee Indians joined the settlers to fight the Tuscarora Indians of North Carolina, but in 1715 the Santees joined the Yemassee Indians in a war to destroy the South Carolina settlers, and they almost succeeded. The few Indians left at the end of that war moved up the river to join the Catawba Indians, leaving no Santee Indians in our county.