Author Topic: European Pow Wows  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Tsisqua

• Native American Unity ~ NAU
European Pow Wows
« on: April 09, 2008, 12:00:48 am »
Anyone have any opinions of the following?

http://europeanpowwows.com/
There are no leaders in Unity

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: European Pow Wows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 12:17:14 am »
Yes, I have one......seems "a bit" out of place....powwows in Europe. The claim posted on the main page that these are not Native American reenactments is confusing....are they Indians? Not indians? My impression is that they are largely white hobbyists who have spent a lot of money on their outfits. If they are trying to  honor indians by dressing like the old ones, maybe they should send the money they spent dressing up and do some good on a rez somewhere. Just my opinion....

Offline bls926

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 12:30:05 am »
I know there are dancers, singers, drums from the United States that go to Europe and tour. I don't think any of those included in that website are from the United States though. Did find the United Kingdom Powwow Circle interesting. They are claiming a connection to North America; going so far as to say, "To this day, some of the powwows are being organised by Native Committees." Is this true? Who knows?

Offline crazyeagle

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 02:14:37 pm »
Hi BLS...I live in the UK - am Mi'kmaq - I have been to these "Pow Wows", very few native people if any go to these - on occasion I have been the only one. I go out of curiousity.

There is only one other native who organises her own/supports the hobbiest pow wow's in the UK.   

Yes, they are re-enactments despite what is advertised - how can it be otherwise when it is non native people dressing up and playing the drums?

The same goes for the Pow Wow's in Germany, these people spend a lot of money on their "regalia"  - I agree the money spent could be put to better use. Back in NS(Nova Scotia) you wont see such fancy expensive regalia - Mi'kmaq cant afford it. pair of jeans,a t-shirt,sneakers and a shawl will do.Unless you spend all winter or longer working on it with the money you have earnt during the summer months. 

Offline A.H.

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 03:39:31 pm »
Anyone have any opinions of the following?

http://europeanpowwows.com/

Ain't that terribly stupid and ugly in its fakeness!

After seeing that kind of bull-shit I understand your caution and anger regarding your cultural things better...

Masquerade of vanity and shallowness...