Author Topic: James Wilson "Crazy Horse" ?  (Read 6803 times)

Offline wolfhawaii

James Wilson "Crazy Horse" ?
« on: April 03, 2008, 05:01:01 pm »
I was watching some video last night from the first Kauai Powwow back in 1997 with a Lakota friend we invited over for dinner, when a "visiting elder" spoke on the tape who claimed to be the greatgreatgrandson of Crazy Horse...called himself the same name in Lakota but it looked poorly rehearsed the way he said it...his "warbonnet" was so ornate it looked off.... and my friend said the guy was a fake, as it was his family this Wilson was claiming to be from. This guy looked like he was in his mid 50s or so, and this was 10 years ago so if he is still around he probably looks pretty weathered and even more like a contender for an environmental commercial, complete with fake tear in the eye. Anybody else seen this fake "elder"?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: James Wilson "Crazy Horse" ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 12:42:59 am »
Do you go to the pow wow on the big island? My friends and one of my husband's cousins are involved with that one.

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 04:09:12 am »
Who are your friends and relatives? I know most of the people involved in powwows over here except for maybe the occasional volunteers. I went to Hilo powwow last year for the first time (had to work the first year), my partner went also and she went to the first one as well. I also used to volunteer at the Waimea powwow for the last few years before it was set aside. I am involved with the powwow council here on Kauai as well.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 01:04:31 am »
Troy and Liz DeRoche are the friends. They used to live near us. The relative is Roree, she is Native Hawaiian, Salish Indian, and oither stuff. I will leave off her last name as she is a private person, where as Liz and Troy are artists.

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 08:52:11 am »
Yes, we know Liz and Troy; may have met Roree as well but not sure. I have one of Troy's flutes and several CDs of their music and stories. small world ennit?

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
Yep. :) Oh, and Roree has been making fry bread at the pow wow the last year or so.

Offline wolfhawaii

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 07:41:59 am »
DLN Issues : The Selling of Indian Culture Lakota Indians: Reconciliation with Crazy Horse Family

Before he died, the great Lakota leader, Crazy Horse, demanded that his family not use his name in public. This is why BP recently changed the name of its Gulf of Mexico oil field to Thunder Horse. Since then a BP delegation has visited the Rosebud Reservation in South Dakota to attend a ceremony marking the return of Crazy Horse's name to his descendants.
(con ...)

I just found this quote from another thread on our site,,,,maybe someone tuned this guy up as no one has said they have seen him.