Author Topic: historical research -- Jacob Gardner  (Read 4016 times)

Offline V Hawkins

historical research -- Jacob Gardner
« on: February 24, 2008, 03:16:12 pm »
I love to research history, and since there is so much "made up" history concerning Eastern Woodland tribal histories (usuallly Cherokee but not always) and not always with ill intent. Still when people search their genealogy these false histories can lead them astray.

http://www.strutton.org/getperson.php?personID=I17929&tree=allfamily

Someone recently asked me about "Jacob Gardner" and I saw the following. It mentions Kentucky which seems to be a hot bed of fake histories. Apparently there are descendants of Jacob Gardner who claim he was "full blood" Catawba, then appears to say he changed his name from Robert Brown who was born in Northern Ireland. Maybe I am misreading it.

Just wondered if I could get some help decyphering this.

thanks,

Vance Hawkins

ps -- fake histories are not necesssarily made by "evil people" as sometimes people just don't know better. However sometimes there is evil intent. Just wondering if this name "Jacob Gardner" ocmes up as the origin of some group online, or if "proof" that "Robert Brown" (Catawba/Scots-Irish) changed his name to Jacob Gardner.

Offline wolfhawaii

Re: historical research -- Jacob Gardner
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:22 pm »
Aloha Vance (been a long time!) I tried reading this to make sense of it without any luck. Looks like fuzzy research to me. The likelihood of a fullblood Catawba owning land in 1790 Rutherford Co. NC seems unlikely to me, as well as the Bristol connection....that area was pretty heavily settled by ScotsIrish folks (some of my kin as well.) Hard to deny outright but it seems there should be more background info to make the claim.