Author Topic: Michael Spisak AKA Hawk Goodfire  (Read 96462 times)

Offline NanticokePiney

Re: Michael Spisak AKA Hawk Goodfire & Rev Susan Ferraro
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 02:55:19 am »
  Listening to them sing Rita Coolidge songs as ceremony songs, I didnt know whether to pass out laughing or beat them with their drumsticks.
      LOL!!! I would of did both.......but I would of ductaped a lead dipsey ingot to the drumsticks

The Holikachuk, do they have another designation? Like the Dogrib or Yellowknife?

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 03:04:08 am »
It actually shows she is a relative of his wife Fanny, an in-law but not a blood relative of Fools Crow, nor a descendant of his. I know several people, enrolled Oglalas, who were adopted by him, and others who are cousins, but they dont go around saying they are his children or grandchildren; they leave that honor for his true blood descendants.  Actually there are very clearly defined relationships within the tiospaye as to who are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles.

Offline bls926

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2009, 03:13:05 am »
It actually shows she is a relative of his wife Fanny, an in-law but not a blood relative of Fools Crow, nor a descendant of his. I know several people, enrolled Oglalas, who were adopted by him, and others who are cousins, but they dont go around saying they are his children or grandchildren; they leave that honor for his true blood descendants.  Actually there are very clearly defined relationships within the tiospaye as to who are mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles.

Cetan, from what I was told, the people of Pine Ridge consider Mary Johnson to be Frank Fools Crow's granddaughter. Why would any of us question that? If that's what they say, then that's what it is.

Offline hawkgoodfire

• Buffalo Messengers
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 03:25:44 am »

The Holikachuk, do they have another designation? Like the Dogrib or Yellowknife?

from Wikipedia:

Holikachuk (also Innoko, Organized Village of Grayling, Innoka-khotana, Tlëgon-khotana) are an Athabaskan people native to western Alaska. Their native territory includes the area surrounding the middle and upper Innoko River. Later in 1963 they moved to Grayling on the Yukon River.

The Holikachuk call themselves Doogh Hit’an (IPA: [to?.h?.t?an]). The name Holikachuk is derived from the name (in the Holikachuk language) of a village in native Holikachuk territory.

The Holikachuk have been neglected by anthropologists, resulting in little documentation (both published and unpublished). In the past they have erroneously (or out of convenience) been grouped with the Koyukon.

The peoples neighboring the Holikachuk are in the north the Yupik (Eskimo) and Koyukon, in the east the Koyukon, in the south the Kolchan, and in the west the Deg Hit'an.

Holikachuk culture is a distant relative to the Deg Hit'an culture.

Offline hawkgoodfire

• Buffalo Messengers
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 11:26:15 am »
No matter how you slice and dice this, Mary is a Relative of Grandpas. If you use the white perspective, you can find the delineations and seperations. The red perspective, as I was taught, is each child is everyones child. Therefore, everyones, grandchild. If you are of the family, then you are family. I prefer the red perspective. And isnt that what we are doing here? Looking at things through our eyes, not those of colonial domination?

Therefore, this goes to prove I am not a fraud, a plastic shaman, crystal twinkie, bliss bunny or member of the love and light brigade.

1) Mary is an Elder from Pine Ridge
2) I take my instructions from Elders. I am not making stuff up or doing things to hurt anyone. I am doing what I am told.
3) I am supported by Elders, (Mary is only 1).

Now then, maybe we can get back to the work at hand. Passing the message of the Black and the White Buffalo. The message of the Elders. The message of all the spiritual events that have and continue to take place out here. Thank you, everyone, for helping to clear up these accusations. Hopefully, after three years of this, we can finally put this to rest and all our Relatives can begin to hear and listen to this message. Until the next batch of ridiculous accusations come in that I will have to deal with.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
  Hawk,
  And what about your claim of Athapaskan? From what I understand that's a language family. Not a tribe. I know the names of all the dine' tribes North and Southwest.

I met an Athapascan from Alaska who refer to himself as such. But of course among their own they use the name of the tribe, village, etc.

Offline hawkgoodfire

• Buffalo Messengers
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 01:59:35 pm »
I met an Athapascan from Alaska who refer to himself as such. But of course among their own they use the name of the tribe, village, etc.

The key to that is "among their own". As in every Nation, there are strict protocols. As taught to me by my Auntie, among the Athabaskan People, northern and southern, there are also strict protocols in how we associate with our family and those who are not immediate family. Thank you for bringing this to light.

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2009, 02:14:34 pm »

Cetan, from what I was told, the people of Pine Ridge consider Mary Johnson to be Frank Fools Crow's granddaughter. Why would any of us question that? If that's what they say, then that's what it is.

His direct blood family, only living grandson and greatgranddauther are upset over the claims of Mary Johnson that she is his granddaughter. But now the word is out to his family on Pine Ridge and they will handle it.

Offline corine68

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 07:10:44 pm »
To bls926;

sorry for not replying to message, we did not receive it, good to know, we will have to look into that.  Please feel free to contact me also at corine68@yahoo.com.

We will not apologize, whether AIM PA does or not.  We will stand by Wanbli, Graywolf, and Erin Brown. 

Respectfully,
Corine Fairbanks
AIM SB

Offline bls926

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 03:15:32 am »
To bls926;

sorry for not replying to message, we did not receive it, good to know, we will have to look into that.  Please feel free to contact me also at corine68@yahoo.com.

We will not apologize, whether AIM PA does or not.  We will stand by Wanbli, Graywolf, and Erin Brown. 

Respectfully,
Corine Fairbanks
AIM SB

Now that you've read my message, do you plan to reply? Just saying you refuse to apologize and stand by Wanbli, Graywolf, and Erin Browne doesn't quite do it. You're spreading stories with no basis in fact, just gossip and innuendo. The truth, as I know it, has been posted here. If you have a different truth, please share it with us. What did Wanbli say? The re-posting of David Swallow's December 2008 statement doesn't count. That's old news. I've read Graywolf's blog. He hasn't been to Pennsylvania, so how does he know what's going on? And Erin Browne, is it all about the zoo? What are y'all basing this smear campaign on? Facts, Corine, facts.

Offline corine68

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2009, 03:36:57 am »
Good Evening;
question-
why wouldn't David Swallow's statement count?  or what occured at the zoo?
Respectfully,
Corine Fairbanks

Offline bls926

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2009, 05:06:41 am »
Good Evening;
question-
Respectfully,
Corine Fairbanks

I didn't say David Swallow's statement didn't count. I asked what Wanbli had said. Re-posting Swallow's statement doesn't count as something Wanbli said.

What happened at the zoo, that has Erin hell-bent on discrediting Hawk?

Facts, Corine, facts. I'm simply asking for facts.

Offline hawkgoodfire

• Buffalo Messengers
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 10:44:31 am »
My Response to Statement. This is a rep-post from Friday, February 06, 2009

YOU'RE KIDDING ME, RIGHT? HOLY CRAP!

The following is a "proclamation" that was issued about me. I've known about it, and refused to answer to it. Those who know me know its crap. I'm not the first person this has been done to, and unfortunately I wont be the last. And folks ask why the black buffalo has been born. This pretty much explains that, y'think?

David Swallow has requested I send out this statement from him to the sundancers, tiospaye, and interested persons regarding Hawk Spisak, (my fathers name) also known as Hawk Goodfire (a name given to me by Chickasaw/Cherokee/Quapaw friends) and Hawk CrazyDog, (a name given to me by Kiowa friends) of Pennsylvania.

David wants it to be formally known that, in every way, he disavows any and all connections to Hawk Spisak.

David Swallow also wants it to be known that he has not authorized Hawk Spisak

1. to act on his behalf

I have never acted on his behalf or anyone else.

2. to perform any Traditional Lakota ceremony

The only ceremony performed here is the sweat. I was asked to do so, and was given a c'anupa, staff and drum along with those instructions.

3. to raise funds in the name of David Swallow

Funds have never been raised in his name. Funds have, however, been sent to him. Records of those monies is available.

4. to raise funds in the name of David Swallow's sundance

Funds have never been raised in the name of the Sundance, however funds have been sent to support the sundance. Records are available.

5. to proclaim himself a spiritual leader

I do not now or have I ever, "proclaimed" to be anything other than a person. I do assist the People who come here spiritually. As a guide; as someone who has been down this road and can assist them if possible.

David also wants it known that Hawk Spisak

1. is not a Lakota-approved "Keeper of the Eastern Door" or Guardian of the white buffalo in Pennsylvania

What I do does not need the approval of the Lakota, or any other Nation. This is not a Lakota thing or an Indian thing. It is for all People, of all Nations. No human gave me this responsibility, therefore, no human can take it away. Ceremony was conducted to interpret the visions I was given associated with this commitment and I am following the instructions given in those ceremonies. I dont need his permission to pray, or anyone elses for that matter.

2. has never had any authority deriving from David Swallow or any Traditional Lakota Leader

I didnt ask for his authority. Or anyone elses as this isnt Lakota specific, therefore does not fall under Lakota authority. I do, however, have permission from other Lakota Elders and Spiritual Leaders to follow these instructions. No one speaks for every Spiritual Leader.

3. has never had the right to speak for the Lakota People

I do not now, nor have I ever, spoken for the Lakota People

4. has never had the right to speak for David Swallow

I do not now nor have I ever spoken for for anyone

5. has never had the right or qualifications to perform Traditional Lakota ceremonies

I do not perform Lakota ceremonies. I do conduct the sweat lodge, by permission from other recognized Elders and Spiritual Leaders

6. has never had the right or qualifications to teach Traditional Lakota ways or spirituality

I do not teach Lakota or any other traditional spirituality. Those that come here, come to pray. And you dont need to be "qualified" to pray.

7. is no longer a participant of David Swallow's Medicine Wheel Sundance

This is absolutely correct. I do not feel I can trust my life to someone I do not respect.

8. has never been a member of the He Ska Tokala Sobriety Society

I never said I was. I attempted to go that path, only to learn, painfully, that I was trying to do what I wanted to do, not what Creator wanted me to do.

David Swallow also wishes it to be publicly known that he has no connection whatsoever to

1. the 501c3 non-profit organization founded by Hawk Spisak known as the Wiyohiyanpata Oyate

The organization was never a 501c3 non-profit, although the paperwork was initiated. Because of egos and other peoples desire to be served instead of serving, I too have cut all ties with this organization. The name was, however, brought before him in the traditional way and permission to use that name was given. Monies raised by that organization were sent to him and records are available.

2. the Buffalo Messengers organization and website

His name has never been associated with Buffalo Messengers. However, recognized Elders and Spiritual Leaders were contacted by his permission. Phone numbers were given to me by him specifically and by the individual who wrote this proclamation.

3. any pow wow which Hawk Spisak organizes

Absolutely correct. This did not, however, stop him from calling two days after last years powwow to ask "where is my cut?" Records of funds transfer are available.

4. any activity of Hawk Spisak whatsoever

Absolutely correct.

If there are any other questions, or anything else I can provide, contact me at any time. All are welcome to come and see for themselves what I do, and what I don't do. This place and I are open to all. I am getting sick and tired of being trashed. But, it comes with the job. When it distracts from the message the People need to hear, thats when it has gone to far. There are those who could do so much good for the People. Yet, some have forgotten what was given was given for the People, not the person. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I must be really good at what I do, to have a proclamation issued against me. I mean, damn, I'm just one single person. I am not influential and my name carries no weight. I'm broke as hell, and I live on my disability pension. I'm a cripple, with a back broken in five places and my neck broken in two. I'm not world renowned, I live in a maintenance building, at a zoo in southwest PA surrounded by trees in the middle of nowhere. The majority of my time is spent alone. But, I do believe honor is more than a word. And yes, I have to be nice, to everyone, irregardless of what they do to me. But that doesnt mean I do not have the right to defend myself. I would love to see anyone else do what I do, live like I do, for nothing other than the privilege of being able to do it.  I dont get paid to do this, the expenses come from my oh so shallow pockets, and the only reward is to have proclamations issued and my name slandered. I guess I should change my name to "target".

Offline hawkgoodfire

• Buffalo Messengers
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 11:05:58 am »
Good Evening;
question-
Respectfully,
Corine Fairbanks

Nothing 'occurred" at the zoo. Accusations were leveled of abuse. Those accusations have been proven to have been false. Many people came to see for themselves after those accusations, and stated emphatically the animals were not being abused. In fact, they were being given the best available. Accusations were leveled I sold the White Buffalo, to make a profit personally. That accusation is simply ridiculous. I never owned the White Buffalo, so how could I sell it? And how does raising money to save them translate into selling them?

As for that statement, well, anyone who has been around the block can see what thats about. There is much, much more to this than the majority knows. The truth has come out, but it isnt the truth some want, so they disregard it. If it doesnt support a preconceived opinion, then it is dismissed. Thats absurd. You asked for answers, you were given answers, and because you didnt agree with the answer because it wasnt the answer you wanted, the answer that supported your opinion, you dismissed that answer. Seems a bit biased. Shoot the messenger, because you dont like the message.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 01:43:58 pm »
For those who may not be familiar with the matter, David Swallow's actions have long been a matter of concern. He has been widely accused of selling ceremony, associating with or giving approval to many frauds, and conducting ceremony in disrepsectful or inappropriate ways. There must be a half a dozen threads in here on him and the people he's worked with, as this search shows.

http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?action=search2

He is also, as far as I know, the only person whose ever had a tribal referendum aimed at stopping him, for his selling ceremony off rez to outsiders.

Hawk, could I ask, how you first came into contact with him, and what exactly caused the two of you to break off any further association?

Could you also explain this statement of yours?

"I do not perform Lakota ceremonies. I do conduct the sweat lodge, by permission from other recognized Elders and Spiritual Leaders."

Yet at least some of those elders are Lakota, correct?