Author Topic: Jose Arnaldo Rivera & Laralyn Davis AKA Joseph & Laralyn Riverwind  (Read 102300 times)

Offline Creative Native

Does anyone know anything about a Joseph Riverwind? Is he legit or what? He used to claim to be Creek/Seminole now he's Arawakan Taino Indian and claims to be a Desert Storm vet. He has claimed to be in Tennessee and in Georgia as well as North Carolina and Florida. Just wondering what is up. He seems to be combining Christianity, Native American and Celtic stuff to get some kind of new agey thing. Check out the links.

http://www.sacredhoopministries.com/BELIEFS.htm

http://www.theblessedblend.com/index2.htm

[Changed title-Al]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:13:09 pm by educatedindian »

frederica

Re: Joseph Riverwind
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 03:48:33 am »
Joseph Huertas RiverWind. Only thing I have ever heard is he is Taino/Irish. Has a Christian ministry with his wife who is Creek/Cherokee/Irish. They are in North Carolina and also make music CD's.  The site looks Christian to me has Hebrew words followed by Creek for names of Creator, Jesus, Sacred Spirit.  Doesn't look Nuage, just Christian.  This is the only thing I was aware of that he had posted. http://www.bluecorncomics.com/stbasics.htm

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:36:40 am »
Here is a link that mentions it... I bolded the part about him.

http://www.frostillustrated.com/full.php?sid=23

Meet Joseph Riverwind a Creek/Seminole Indian with a goal of dispelling grief-causing myths and stereotypes that surround Native Americans. He comments on a few of them:

“Few of us lived in tipis (tee pees), wore feathers, bonnets or fought like ‘braves.’ The 20th century cowboy movies are responsible for those myths and stereotypes.

“We had no royalty. The ‘Indian Princess’ is strictly an European concept.

“We did not smoke a peace pipe. Sitting Bull once said that there was no such thing as a peace pipe because there has never been peace.

“We do not ‘chant.’ We are not Gregorian monks; they are the ones who chant.

“We do not worship nature. Observance and respect for nature was a learning process which ingrained itself in our ancestors’ lives and continues to this day.???

Joseph Riverwind’s list goes on, and learning about our Original Americans should go on too.

What I'd like to know is since neither one of them are enrolled tribal members... how can they legally possess eagle feathers? He mentions that on his one site in the link I gave.

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:20:16 am »
http://www.powwows.com/gathering/general/568-creation-stories.html

This link shows a post he made... his pic and that he is... Joseph Riverwind - Muscogee Creek/Seminole Wind clan

Another link to a post he made in 2003

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/war-discussion/12445-veterans-circle-6.html?=#post268773

Sure sounds different than what he's saying now eh? LoL

frederica

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:53 am »
I saw it on the Music one, where he was making a comparison to "Irish Chiefs"?  to NDN. But I couldn't tell if those were eagle feathers on his flute or not. He is not enrolled, nor his wife, so he cannot legally have them if they are real eagle feathers. That link is pretty much like the one he put up in BlueCorn Comics.  Looks like he changes tribal afflilation.  We don't have any information on this site about him.

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:20:56 am »
Here is where I got that about eagle feathers on his blessed blend site.

What is a Blessed Blend?

Through the interaction between the newly immigrated Scots and Irish and the First Nations people of Turtle Island(The Americas)
There came the realization that there were many shared commonalities between both nations of people.

- We both have a historic warrior culture

- A clan system

- Chiefs resplendant with the wearing of eagle feathers

- Painting our faces for battle

- Fierce defenders of our homeland and families

- We both survived an attempt to wipe us out as a people and as a culture

Through our music we share a deep love for the drum, flutes, dance, language, culture and stories passed down from ancient times. When the Scots and Irish immigrated into these Appalachian mountain lands they found a kindred people. During the 17th century the Scots coined the term "Blessed Blend" to describe the marriage union between a Celt and a Native. The same term was applied to the children who were born of thess unions; carrying in their bloodlines the beauty of both indigneous worlds.

Are you a Blessed Blend?

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »
The feathers on the flute in the picture on the website are macaw feathers - no permit required since macaws are commonly kept pets.

frederica

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:08:12 pm »
Okay, thanks  Cetan, I thought they were a little too bright for Eagle.  I think he is just comparing "Irish" past to NDN as far as possible similarities.  I believe I've heard that somewhere before. But never heard anyone call the mix "a blessed blend". But I guess you have to be Irish to do that.  The only thing I see maybe red flags on are his change of Tribal affilation,

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:23:31 pm »
These are the feathers I was talking about and they sure aren't macaws. ;-)

It is on this page. http://www.theblessedblend.com/photo_gallery.htm

frederica

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:27:58 pm »
If you think they are real, you can always report this to the Wildlife people.  I can't tell from a photo as I have seen some pretty close copies people buy from places like Crazy Crow and the like. You see them in person, you can tell they are painted.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:49 pm »
During the 17th century the Scots coined the term "Blessed Blend" to describe the marriage union between a Celt and a Native.

Really? Never heard it myself. And 17th century? There were enough Scottish people in America in the 1600s who were (consensually?) inter-marrying with Eastern Woodland tribes to have a term coined for it? And a term that none of my family, friends or relatives from Scottish/Cherokee and other related heritage have heard of it?   

A lot of the "Mighty Gaels were the same as Indians" stuff is based on Hollywood stereotypes of both cultures. Racist "Last of the Mohicans" fiction. Yes, the ancient Irish and Scottish cultures, being warrior cultures and (in the pre-Christian era) animistic, have some striking similarities to some of the cultures of the Americas. But those are the sorts of things you find in most warrior/animistic cultures, and not really the stuff he lists there.

I don't know, it sounds more like the superficial lumpings people do when they want to do a salad-bar neo-religious approach. It sounds predominantly Christian, and they may be nice enough people, but they don't seem to know much about history or the issues in the Modern Celtic Nations. I did get a laugh out of how, on their MySpace page, they said one of the Celtic Nations is called... "Cromwell."

Those who know Irish history can either laugh, cry, or roll over in their graves at the egregious nature of that one.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:04:23 pm by Defend the Sacred »

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2008, 07:48:30 pm »
These are the feathers I was talking about and they sure aren't macaws. ;-) ...

...It is on this page. http://www.theblessedblend.com/photo_gallery.htm

Oh my, look at that. Old 'stormcrow' there really ought to know that if he wants to look properly Scottish he could just wear an Old Firm shirt. They're not difficult to get hold of. Only a particularly daft hippie would dress like an extra from Braveheart to express his Celtic pride.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 05:33:53 pm »
Old stormcrow - HA HA.

Offline Creative Native

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 08:33:27 pm »
LoL

Am I wrong or does the old guy have sundance scars?

Offline ndnoutlaw

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 11:32:58 pm »
Ive met this guy and his wife. They are pretty straight up people who are really sincere. I met them at a highland games and Ive never heard him make claims of anything other than Taino with some Galician ancestry. They arent new agey at all and are pretty outspoken about native spirituality being taken advantage of by new agers.

I think the Cromwell is a mistake, which any of us could make. I do know that the old guy is from Glasgow Scotland and was part of a Scottish tribal band called clann an drumma.  http://www.clannandrumma.com/ Matter of fact he WAS an extra in the braveheart movie-lol. He was also in the New World movie with a minor speaking part.

Maybe you should just call them and find out. I noticed that both the sites you put up have their phone numbers on them. Go right to the source instead of trying to pull second hand information from other people. Just my two cents.