Author Topic: Sioux Creation stories?  (Read 10360 times)

Sioux Creation stories?
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:01:50 pm »
Someone posted this on facebook, and I want to know if it's
really part of Sioux Creation stories..

---

Creation - A Sioux Indian Story

The Creator gathered all of Creation and said, "I want to hide something from the humans until they are ready for it. It is the realization that they create their own reality."

The eagle said, "Give it to me, I will take it to the moon." The Creator said, "No. One day they will go there and find it."

The salmon said, "I will bury it on the bottom of the ocean." "No. They will go there too."

The buffalo said, "I will bury it on the Great Plains." The Creator said, "They will cut into the skin of the Earth and find it even there."

Grandmother Mole, who lives in the breast of Mother Earth, and who has no physical eyes but sees with spiritual eyes, said, "Put it inside of them."

And the Creator said, "It is done."

---

thanks in advance..
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Sioux Creation stories?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:53:36 pm »
Someone posted this on facebook, and I want to know if it's
really part of Sioux Creation stories..

---

Creation - A Sioux Indian Story

The Creator gathered all of Creation and said, "I want to hide something from the humans until they are ready for it. It is the realization that they create their own reality."

Oh, that's really, really sounding like an NDN story... ::)

The first clue that it's off is that they use Nuagespeak like that.

The second would be their using the colonial term Sioux instead of D/L/Nakota, unless the story was recorded over 40 years ago.

I think a Lakota (or any other NDN) story would be more likely to have some naive idiot claiming they "make their own reality" get a reality check when Coyote tricks them.

-----------
Coyote was standing by the river bank. A Nuager walked up to the river and wondered how to cross.

"Don't worry," said Coyote. "You make your own reality. Just cross and you won't even get wet."

The Nuager started across. He wondered why he felt wetness. He tried making his legs, his shoes and socks, and his crotch dry just by making his own reality and wishing real, real hard. But his shoes still squished, and his genitals still shrunk in the cold water.

Then fell in a deep spot in the water. He was over his head in the water. The foolish Nuager, who could not swim, said to himself, "I will make my own reality and just breathe in nothing but air and no water. Just wait and see."

But he took in a deep swallow of water instead. Instantly he panicked, clawing towards the air. He barely made it to shore, still choking on water and half drowned.

"Didn't you tell me I made my own reality!?" he yelled at Coyote.

"For you, the reality is you are naive in believing anything you are told," said Coyote.

----------

No, that's not a traditional story either. That's just my hastily made up one. But the stories are often like that.
Here's an actual traditional story.
http://chnm.gmu.edu/exploring/pre_18thcentury/creationstories/pop_sioux.html

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:58:47 pm »
thanks, yeah, i didn't actually believe it, especially because it said 'sioux' and because it
had that remark about creating their own reality, and then, because it was on facebook.

i mean, philosophically, attitude wise, we are responsible for part of our 'reality' and one
could say that in part we create our daily life with our own attitude.. but "Reality" as a
creation of existence, i think not.. at least, not in that way of creating a rock.. i have my
own beliefs regarding our existence, but, i don't believe we create the planets et al..

« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:28:05 am by critter - a white non-ndn person »
press the little black on silver arrow Music, 1) Bob Pietkivitch Buddha Feet http://www.4shared.com/file/114179563/3697e436/BuddhaFeet.html

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »
And then the nuager picked up the rock, was about to smash himself in the head with it, looked at Coyote and said, "In my reality, this rock will not smash my brains out." Coyote just smiled.

Good story, Al :)

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 09:23:29 pm »
wow i know my people stories and never heard of this one
In Spirit