General > Frauds

Phil Landis & Nemenhah Band, an Oklehueva or ONAC chapter

<< < (4/10) > >>

educatedindian:
Tevlin contacted me 4 or 5 days ago. Tevlin mentioned finding in his own searches that Landis was convicted of fraud in Montana, grand theft in Idaho, and "something else" in Utah. He wasn't specific on the last one, but I'll ask him and where we can get online proof to post of this.

matt e:
I have heard of alternative healing methods working on certain types of cancer, however these methods (including diet changes) in 99% of the cases i personaly have read about over the years were used AFTER other methods had failed, or were used immediately upon diagnosis, administered by liscened proffessionals, and only affected certain types of cancer.

It was not long ago that a family who refused to get treatment for thier child who died were charged with a crime for not taking appropriate action ( the disease had a cure rate of 99%). The family choose to rely on faith healing instead of medicine. now they are in jail for criminal neglect.

While i do believe that people have every right to practice their religion, I also believe that failing to make use of any and all available treatments, especially those that have been proven to be effective is a slight against the One who gave us life. I believe that the creator gave us the ability to learn to treat and find cures for diseases.

having seen my mother, father and sister, as well as a dear family friend go through chemo, yes it does make you very sick.  by the time my parents and friend got the treatment it was too late as the cancer had spread too much. but my sister is still here due to getting it.

SO in short- I personaly believe that refusing to accept or get treatment for a disease that is mostly curable  for religious reasons is a slight to the one who gave you life, by saying you would rather die than get a treatment that will allow you to live.

Tsu Dho Nimh:
This issue is getting a lot of coverage in various science blogs, including one by a surgical oncologist.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/05/another_child_sacrificing_himself_on_the.php 
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2009/05/daniel_hauser_and_the_rejection_of_chemo.php

There are others, just search scienceblogs.com for the child's name or the word Nemenhah.

They are spreading the belief that shunning medical treatment in favor of the group's selected therapies is the way Native American beliefs work.

Defend the Sacred:
Coverage has gone very mainstream now: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_he_me/us_med_forced_chemo

Judge rules family can't refuse chemo for boy

By AMY FORLITI, Associated Press Writer Amy Forliti, Associated Press Writer   – 2 hrs 54 mins ago

MINNEAPOLIS – A Minnesota judge ruled Friday that a 13-year-old cancer patient must be evaluated by a doctor to determine if the boy would benefit from restarting chemotherapy over his parents' objections.

In a 58-page ruling, Brown County District Judge John Rodenberg found that Daniel Hauser has been "medically neglected" by his parents, Colleen and Anthony Hauser, and was in need of child protection services.

While he allowed Daniel to stay with his parents, the judge gave the Hausers until Tuesday to get an updated chest X-ray for their son and select an oncologist.

read the rest of the article...

Sadly, no overt mention of the fact the group are frauds and not representatives of any authentic Native American nation or healing tradition. But there are lines like:
"The Missouri-based religious group believes in natural healing methods advocated by some American Indians."
and
"Landis said he founded the faith after facing his diagnosis of a cancer similar to Daniel Hauser. He said he treated it with diet choices, visits to a sweat lodge and other natural remedies."

Also, the teaser for this story currently running on Yahoo's main news page reads:
 * 'Medicine man' boy's chemo wishes vetoed

note - all three links are to same article. I have quoted, rather than reprint the article in full, so we don't get into any problems with copyright issues.   

Superdog:
The wheatdogg blog listed above got an interesting comment today from the son of someone defrauded tragically by Landis...

Here's some excerpts...the rest of the letter is there...comment #9

From the wheatdogg blog:
http://www.computernewbie.info/wheatdogg/2009/05/11/a-sad-curious-tale-of-rampant-duplicity-and-stupidity/
------------------------------------------
galigo:
May 15th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

My mother died because she followed his healing advice instead of receiving medical treatment. Here is a copy of an email I sent the chief. cloudpiler@nemenhah.org

Phil Landis (AKA Cloudpiler),

Thanks to all the publicity you’re receiving from this Daniel Hauser case, I finally caught up to you. I’m sure you’ve wanted to know how things ended up with my mother, Richelle, your neighbor at Parks Place, Hideaway Valley, UT.

If your memory needs refreshed, she had uterine cancer, which is 75% to 95% survivable with appropriate (medical) treatment.

However, you advised her to use your alternative healing methods, which she did.

As you were aware, she became sicker and sicker, as she continued to do what you advised her to do. When I came to visit her, you would disappear.

When she became so sick that she needed 24 hour care, my wife and I brought her to our home in Idaho. Here, we cared for her and loved her until she died.

I wonder how many other people have died because of what you do.

Does it bother you?

Here’s something you should know: My wife and my dad both had cancer at the same time as my mother. Weird, huh. The thing is, my wife and my dad are still here. Cured by surgery. Perfectly healthy now.

I miss my mom, and every time I think of her slow, painful, rotting, stinking death my heart breaks all over again.

You are not only a fraud, chief, you’re a killer.

------------------------------------------
end of quoted material

Heartbreaking and a clear example of how these guys do more harm than just steal money.....
Superdog

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version