Author Topic: Hello and thank you  (Read 2865 times)

Clare

Hello and thank you
« on: June 19, 2014, 08:08:49 pm »
I joined really to just to say thank you for having a great resource here.  I've lurked off and on for a couple of years.  I've even referred a couple of people here when they've expressed their interest to me in indigenous spiritual teachings.  The few books I had that were written by frauds were sent to the trash after I found this forum.  I find the conversation here fascinating, enlightening and at times, depressing, since there seem to be so many people that seem to have no respect for indigenous peoples and their cultures; and others who feel that can join this forum to ingratiate themselves in order to justify their personal cultural appropriations.   

I was recently listening to a podcast that was discussing the cultural implications of the quinoa controversy and I feel I understood the issue better having read many of the postings here previously.

I made a choice a few years back to follow buddhism as it resonated best with the questions I have and had.  I'll be the first to admit that I don't sit as often as I should and I'm still a relative newcomer. I have learned that a true spiritual path takes time (although sometimes I have to remind myself this).   And it's true that buddhism has had challenges with sex abuse and fraud, too.  I think predators will take advantage where ever they can and I think education and dialogue are key to fighting back. 

Again, thanks for the forum.  It's a great resource.