Author Topic: Hello from England, UK  (Read 5841 times)

Madalaine

Hello from England, UK
« on: March 29, 2015, 06:43:54 pm »
Hello, my name is Madalaine (you can call me Mads) and I am from and live in England, UK.

For many years now I have felt like I am missing something in my life, a connection to the earth and spirituality. The last year or so I have been looking into different forms of spirituality and have come across shamanic practitioners online with online courses etc. which at first I found really interesting and considered doing some of their courses, in fact I have done a couple of courses with one 'shamanic practitioner' (I will make a post about them in the 'research needed' section). But something has been nagging at me inside, something telling me that these 'shamanic practitioners' aren't as authentic as they try to make themselves out to be.

So, I started thinking that I should look to my own roots. I have been researching druids, and came across the The British Druid Order (http://www.druidry.co.uk/)- again at first I thought great! Maybe I am finding my way. So I bought one of their courses, but on reading it I find that because their is little information on the Celts/druids they have to 'borrow' spiritual practices from other spiritual groups...so once again I am left feeling disappointed.

On my search for authenticity I found this forum and I have to say my eyes have been well and truly opened to just how far from authentic these 'new age shameons' really are - even the ones who truly believe what they are doing is genuine.

Autumn

Re: Hello from England, UK
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:48:07 pm »
Welcome, Mads!

Epiphany

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
Welcome!

Offline Rose Skater

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 09:31:23 am »
Hi Mads,
As it happens, I am also from England, and have lived in Wales, where druidry used to be more associated with poetry, I feel. I was dismayed when Stonehenge was opened to these New Age druids, as there is no historical connection between Stonehenge and druids. They have made up history and traditions to suit their desires.
Recently, a friend has become involved with the "Celtic"/"Tantric" mix offered by, for instance, a couple calling themselves Marta and Robert (www.celtictantra.com) which seems to me to have the very flimsiest roots in any provable historical practices or beliefs.
They offer "workshops" and refer to those who have attended as "graduates", which implies that they have valuable knowledge that they impart. Maybe, but I remain deeply sceptical.
I think the truth is that any spiritual understanding that the ancient Celts and/or Druids may have had has been 100% lost. Anyone telling you otherwise is trying to make money out of you.
Best wishes
Rose

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 04:08:08 pm »
I think the truth is that any spiritual understanding that the ancient Celts and/or Druids may have had has been 100% lost. Anyone telling you otherwise is trying to make money out of you.

FĂ ilte, Rose.

Much of Celtic culture survives in the languages, music, artwork, and folk customs in the six Celtic Nations and diaspora. A large part of the mythology was written down in the early, Celtic Christian period. There's much more that survives than in many other cultures, but those involved in the serious revitalization efforts also are doing things in a family and community-based way, and not mixing it with nuage stuff or selling it (like the "druidry" groups do). :)

Like with religions such as Santeria, much of the liturgy has had a Christian veneer pasted onto it, so back-engineering is often needed. But many of us feel it's a worthy effort to revive these ways, rather than become pretendians, nuagers or Wiccans. If you search from the main page, we've actually had a number of discussions here on the topic.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 04:17:59 pm »
P.S.  Just calling it "Celtic Tantra" is offensive and laughable. It looks like they're also stealing from Native Americans, calling the Wiccan wheel of the year the "medicine wheel" http://www.celtictantra.com/celtic.htm

I hope your get your friend to see sense. We'll look at that website and see if it's worth starting a thread on them. All the content at the above link is wrong about Natives, and wrong about Celts. Looks like yet more hippies wanting an excuse to have sex in the woods. (Hippies, you really don't need an excuse. Just don't pretend it's Native or Celtic, mkay?)

Offline JeelyPiece

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:01:14 pm »
Hello, my name is Madalaine (you can call me Mads) and I am from and live in England, UK.

For many years now I have felt like I am missing something in my life, a connection to the earth and spirituality. The last year or so I have been looking into different forms of spirituality and have come across shamanic practitioners online with online courses etc. which at first I found really interesting and considered doing some of their courses, in fact I have done a couple of courses with one 'shamanic practitioner' (I will make a post about them in the 'research needed' section). But something has been nagging at me inside, something telling me that these 'shamanic practitioners' aren't as authentic as they try to make themselves out to be.

So, I started thinking that I should look to my own roots. I have been researching druids, and came across the The British Druid Order (http://www.druidry.co.uk/)- again at first I thought great! Maybe I am finding my way. So I bought one of their courses, but on reading it I find that because their is little information on the Celts/druids they have to 'borrow' spiritual practices from other spiritual groups...so once again I am left feeling disappointed.

On my search for authenticity I found this forum and I have to say my eyes have been well and truly opened to just how far from authentic these 'new age shameons' really are - even the ones who truly believe what they are doing is genuine.

There are quite a few druid orders here in the UK but none of them are especially "Celtic" in any way, unfortunately. Most of them have their roots in romanticist history, or are based on the fraudulent works of "Iolo Morganwg," but in practice they tend to be pretty generic mush of Wiccanesque ritual and belief with a twist. Or else you're looking at people like John and Caitlin Matthews who rip off Native ceremony most of the time. Or yeah, Celtic "tantra." WTF?

If you're looking for something more in keeping with your roots I'd suggest looking at history and folklore, stuff like that. It's not complete but there are survivals.