Author Topic: Water Hollow Band of Chickamagua  (Read 4909 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Water Hollow Band of Chickamagua
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:15:11 pm »
We got a request on them that mentioned Susan Bates as their leader and that simply inquiring about them got threats and hostile emails.

Only see them mentioned a few places. I'd like to hear from our Cherokee members opinions. So far to me they look like PODIAs trying to make their way back to their heritage, and maybe making some mistakes along the way.

Bates has The Hill and Holler Column. In her own words:
http://www.snowwowl.com/hhintro.html
"I became involved with and the help of a local medicine man society...We have been given land and keep a sacred fire...Our water comes from a sacred spring...People come here for healings."

You can't help but notice some other things like-"The Atlantis Connection".

She also edits The Native American Journal which is mostly good political articles, but also a few things like this:
http://members.tripod.com/~susanbates/nativeamericanjrnl-index.html
"MOONTIME MEMORIES
In this New Age that we are entering, women from all walks of life are being called upon to remember, honor and take up the wisdom of the Grandmothers. This week we will speak of the moontime - the time of month when women observe their cycles....
Woman (and men) are being called to go back to the old ways of honoring our moontime. If we are part of a tribe we should consider building a Moonlodge where the women can go during this time to rest, reflect and bring forth the wisdom of the Grandmothers. Much prophecy and knowledge from the Ancestors comes through when the moon time is honored.
If you don't belong to any group you can still honor your own moontime and yourself....Keep a Moon Journal."

They also have a story about How the Cherokee Got Their Pipe that I'd like out Cherokee members to look at.

And they quote from JT Garrett and also talk about Mayan prophecies.

Also found a few mentions of other members such as Steve "Stonebear" also calling himself Blue Heathen Dog.

I also see Bates' column at Thunderbirdsociety.org. Her amazon.com profile mentions her address as Cabool MO, same as Wm Anderson. Don't know if they are connected. And Manataka does have her articles, and they seem to know or even work with each other.

I'd esp like to hear from members near this group's location, ARK and MO.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Water Hollow Band of Chickamagua
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 09:53:27 pm »
Have not had a chance to read the articles yet but those that have seen my posts here before know what I think of the Garrett books, which is not much.

I sorta consider myself somewhat knowledgable (only from the point of learning from books, attending lecures, and talking to Maya people I have met) about some aspects of Maya culture. The only prophecies that are in print are in the 3 different Books of the Chilam Balam and are not the easiest to decipher.

Anyway, on to reading the article and finding out how us Cherokee folk got our pipe. As a storyteller who has learned most of his stories from people and not books I can say I have never heard about this one before.

Joseph

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Water Hollow Band of Chickamagua
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 12:35:32 am »
I read the one article about the Cherokee Woman's Ceremony. This one makes reference to the one in spring. But after reading it it really says nothing about the ceremony, which maybe was done on purpose. There is also a Woman's ceremony in the fall.

I copied what is below from the main page cause its sounds a bit off or some of it.

When he died of lung disease at age 50, I became involved with and helped form a traditional Cherokee Medicine Society. Our teachings have been handed down from Medicine man to Medicine man for over 300 years in an unbroken chain.

We have been given land in a remote valley and we keep a sacred fire here.... the ashes of 5 fires, (including some from the original fire given to the Cherokee over 5000 years ago, and some that were taken down the trail of tears) burn in ours.

My comments: I do know that ashes from other sacred fires are added to new fires.

Our water comes from a sacred spring that flows from a rock behind our houses. People come here for healings.

We celebrate the 7 Sacred Ceremonies of the Cherokee here. There were almost 200 people from 7 states who found their way here for the New Fire Ceremony in March.

My comment: Usually the new fire ceremony is in the fall not spring.

This is my husband's legacy. What I do for the People I do because of
him.

Susan Bates

Joseph