Author Topic: Siobhan Marks Our Grandmothers Strap Dress  (Read 5834 times)

Offline berriesandcream

Re: Siobhan Marks Our Grandmothers Strap Dress
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 09:18:41 pm »
I totally agree that Siobhan, regardless of Native status, is a very toxic and manipulative person and very damaging to the Native community.

I did a little research myself and noticed that she claims that her great great grandmother is Angeline Corbine who was considered “Indian” on Familysearch. Her great grandmother is Mary Diamond Wright and her grandmother is Ann Jane Wright (Smith). I believe the only similar name in your search is Ann Jane Wright (Smith). I’m a little confused where this would take the search next. Do you still have access to the family tree that her family member posted? I think it would be helpful to see that. 

Offline berriesandcream

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2021, 05:50:02 am »
Have seen this posted on fb and brought up again. Only her partner has said that: “Siobhan is who she is, and I believe her….”. But Siobhan has stayed silent the entire time? This thread isn’t abusive by any means. It is very valid to question someone’s Indian status and frankly it happens ALL the time. I don’t see people making a big deal about it when it happens to them. Usually the person being questioned provides proof of lineage, family, what they claim, etc but she is not doing that? That feels very weird to me.

Offline berriesandcream

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2021, 05:16:11 pm »
Back again. Have seen Marin’s post on Facebook. He is trying to turn this into something it is not. At first he claimed people questioning her ancestry were telling her how to dress. Now he claims it is colorism. There is no attack on Native people and the color of their skin. Yes, she is white and very very white passing. She does not present as a brown or black person. So what. Boo hoo. You cannot experience colorism as a white person. She has white parents so yes she IS in fact white. It would be wrong of her to say that she is Native first and then white. If a police officer were to pull her over how would they view her? He is just using this as a tool to get people back on her side. It’s honestly sickening.

Offline WINative

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2021, 10:32:31 pm »
Is that Marin "Mark" Denning the former Marquette University "First Warrior" mascot who your speaking of?

Offline berriesandcream

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2021, 03:46:10 am »
Yes, her partner.

Offline WINative

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 04:49:36 pm »
It appears Mark is defending her actions and distracting everyone from her lack of response to any requests for her lineage, by claiming sexism and colorism. As was pointed out to a common question that is asked by most Native people to one another. I think her refusal to respond and lack of proof makes it more apparent to everyone her lack of verifiable American Indian blood. Which in this case is cultural appropriation, and the Milwaukee community will have to decide on how to address? There is also Professor Margaret Noodin on this site and being researched and who has not responded and claims Ojibwe.

Offline WINative

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2022, 06:31:10 pm »
Siobhan Marks and her partner Mark Denning appear in this video promoting a "Unity Fire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcN9wPYcM-U&list=FLtMMuOZ8XnJ4O5kvjSw7LRQ&index=1

Offline WINative

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2022, 08:54:36 pm »
Preceding the week of May 5th (Missing and Murdered Indigenous Persons Awareness Day) AIHSC and partners St Kateri Center of Chicago, UIC Native American Support Program, Cook County Forest Preserve, Waking Women Healing Institute Chicago Therapy Collective, Cook County Human Relations Commission will host a PowWow on April 30th to remember the survivors and victims of violence in the indigenous community. Location: Bunker Hill Forest Preserve, W. Harts Road, Niles Illinois 60714. Gates open at 11am. Grand Entry at 12pm noon. ATTENDANCE IS FREE! Learn more at: aihschgo.org/event/mmiw-event

3:30pm: Siobhan Marks Red Dress Presentation

• Special Red Dress Presentation:
Siobhan Marks (Lac Courte Oreilles of Lake Superior)

https://www.facebook.com/events/222272833398778/