Author Topic: Grace Sanctuary  (Read 18007 times)

used2bnaf

Grace Sanctuary
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »
This is the webstie for the Lone Star Sun Dance.  They have been having a dance here for more than a decade.  There are several links to chat groups, suggested reading, their annual poster (has names of chiefs) and directions to their ceremonial land.

This years poster shows a caucasian child praying with a cannupa at the base of a cottonwood tree.  There is a known association with Leonard Crowdog, Marvin Swallow, Quincy Yazzie, Melvin _____?  All are natives.  However Mary Thunder is involved here too.  The dance has about 100 dancers.

www.gracesanctuary.com

Check it out.

used2bnaf

Re: Grace Sanctuary
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:07 am »
Interesting update.
A couple of weeks ago, I got the third degree about this post.  The person bugging me is the main medical person at the Lone Star Sundance.  It got pretty nasty on her end of the messaging.  She accused me of posting the child's name on this website, that is in the 2012 LSSD poster.  I assured her I did not and would not. (Though the child's name is on the poster and several others already on the internet.)  I went to the site today to see if there was an updated poster for this year.  Last year's has been removed. 

The child in the photograph is over 18 and in college now.  I don't know the reasons as to why.  Guilty conscience or self protection... There are other posters on the site.  Each lists the "chiefs" and sponsors.

I don't know if each individual on the posters need a thread or not.  Some individuals already do.  I am open to suggestions.

used2bnaf

used2bnaf

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:17 pm »
This year's LSSD poster for 2013.

Epiphany

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:36 pm »
Looks like they don't have the 2012 poster on their own site now http://www.gracesanctuary.com/Posters.html , but it can be found online, someone has it on their Pinterest site, meaning anyone else could grab it.

I don't understand their choice to have a child on that poster.

used2bnaf

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 11:35:46 pm »
Yea, they took it down.  The girl in the photo is now an adult and going to an Ivy League school.  Her parents (both non NDN) are prominent Ceremony Leaders for this community.  I do believe that they took it down due to me pointing it out publicly to people here.

I know they all mean well....
They aren't helping anybody really.  My assumption is that most involved here have not been moved to the Fraud section because they keep a low profile and ask for donations only.  Well, except for Phillip Scott.  Truly their internet prescence is very low key.  It is mainly by word of mouth that one encounters them except through the grace sanctuary website, which is really just a place for the LSSD dates.  Nobody does anything with it.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 11:37:09 pm »
The poster with the child is on this year's poster. And it looks like they are trying to make this look like an ndn sundance instead of a twinkie dance.

used2bnaf

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 11:46:29 pm »
this is the 16th year of their Sun Dance.  The poster is a circle of all previous posters (including the one spoken of) encirlcing Leonard Crow Dog and Joanne. That pic was taken at the very first Sun Dance held there.

There was some discussion of what to do after this years dance.  The decision is to continue...though honestly I watched this Dance get smaller year by year.  Eventually it may be absorbed by one of the other Sun Dances in Texas or Oklahoma.

Used2bNAF

used2bnaf

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:03:40 am »
Hi all.  This is this years poster for Lone Star Sundance.  I post here every year.  I pray every year, that people will see how cultural appropriation is wrong, and how it harms people...including themselves.

www.gracesanctuary.com

Thanks for being here.

used2bnaf
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:03:48 am by used2bnaf »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »
i just don't understand why they do this ???
In Spirit

used2bnaf

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:01:15 am »
earthw7-

I am sure your question is rhetorical.  And I certainly cannot provide certain answers for every situation.  When I encountered ceremony (of this type), I was very sad, lonely, and spiritually starved.  The group filled many needs I had. ( Or so I thought.)  I think many of these people have very good intentions. ( I am speaking specifically of this group.)  However, good intentions pave the way to hell sometimes.  I am very grateful that I am out and no longer participate.  I actively hope that others will realize the same things and leave too, but I cannot make them.  I can pray though.

Used2bNaf

Offline Otter3

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:57:14 am »
i just don't understand why they do this ???

earthw7, from my experience, I would say that the frauds who prey on spiritually starved Non-Natives use a combination of "Noble Savage" teachings and take advantage of Non-Natives' guilt about how white people did terrible things to the Native Americans, and how the world would be a better place if Non Natives followed Native American traditions.  In addition, in the Judeo-Christian traditions, from which many Non-Natives come, joining another faith is permitted.  For example, if a Christian wanted to marry a Jew, and was interested in following that religion, he/she could study with a rabbi and then be converted to Judaism.  So it seems okay to Non-Natives to change their beliefs to those of Native Americans and to take part in a Sun Dance.   It's ignorance, and as Used2bnaf says, many of these people have good intentions.  But it's sad. 

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:53 pm »
let alone making a poster an advertising the event only non natives would do that,
they must sell everything including themselves, they see no wrong in it and somewhere
in their minds they believe they have the right, not one of them come to indian country and
help not one is stand up for us, they stand for themselves shame on them
In Spirit

Offline Sturmboe

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:34 pm »
Why do people often think they can copy or adopt way of livings they never raised in, they never could come clother to its language which develops by living this life, a life they had never lived.
It is ok to learn from different nations, different believes, try to understand and respect cultures.
But they should be carefully and be aware that there are always some missing gaps they can never fill up with knowledge and experiences where they had never grounded their feed in. Is it like dancing on a fameless ground, one day they will lost where to step, struggle and fall down - and maybe, maybe they asks themsselves, what happened that they had to fall, what to change to stand up again and where to go?
How often is naming the "nobele savage" a non-noble misuse to take a flight - away from listening to those authentic people and the wish not to face the consequences for unethically and false doing.

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:30:00 am »
Unortunately I have seen posters for the Sundance at Crow Dog's, now that I think about it I have one somewhere that Leonard gave me when I ran into him in Mission years ago a few weeks before his dance

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 01:30:20 pm »
I cant believe it but I just saw a poster for Roy Stone's Sundance