Author Topic: Question about Lodge/Raven Circle  (Read 2948 times)

Offline non-NDN

Question about Lodge/Raven Circle
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »
OK, so I'll be blunt and simply say I know -nothing- about Native/First Nations practices (and am OK with that, its not my culture or lineage) but saw this on a group's website regarding Lodge ceremonies. The quote on their first page is a Castaneda quote, so I hunted around expecting to see pretty blatant exhibitions of fakery, but only found the below text. How does this hold up to the lines between Nuagers/Native Peoples/ethics in general?

(original context on ravencircle.org)

"Offerings - We do not charge a fee for ceremonies held in the Earth Lodge though we rely on monetary donations.  The donations are used to sustain these ceremonies so that they can be available whenever someone calls for one. With the donations we purchase the heating fuel for the lodge and maintain the fire and lodge area.  We also use the donations to purchase the ceremonial herbs, candles and other essentials that are used to heighten and enhance various ceremonies and cleansings.

If someone does not have the means to make a monetary donation they are encouraged to offer another type of give-away for the ceremony.  By so doing, they are taking responsibility for their experience."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Question about Lodge/Raven Circle
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 03:34:15 am »
That part of their website seems to show some concern for ethics. They don't seem to be out to make money, they don't demand a set fee, only what people wish to donate or if they have no funds, labor or other items.

But frankly this group seems to rely on a lot of dubious teachings, Castaneda, alleged Toltec seers (when the Toltec have been gone for eight centuries), unnamed South American shamans. Grover Horned Antelope may be the only legit person they spoke to or learned from, so hopefully at least no one gets harmed in their sweats.