Author Topic: Faked drum  (Read 6126 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Faked drum
« on: March 22, 2008, 10:00:53 am »
It´s amazing how much money you can make out of so called mystical magical indigenous craft (!)

The Sami drums, used by their "medicine people", were taken away from them and most of them ended up in museums. But this drum ended up on Tradera, the Swedish EBay
(click on the photo of the drum to see more)

http://www.tradera.com/auction/auction.asp?aid=59312038

It was presented as one of the real "medecinedrums" with mystical powers - while it was in fact made by a non-Sami for tourists. A Samifriend of mine found out and contacted the seller to no avail.

It was sold for almost 900 USD. Probably worth 40.

Yeah, it goes on all over the world, doesn´t it....

Offline Kevin

Re: Faked drum
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:35:17 am »
Gee, I guess the buyer won't be able to get in harmony with the great caribou spirit after all.....well, I'm sure there are some crystals at a reasonable price the buyer can get to commune with the herd - mooo ( I think that is the sound they make) but maybe it's more of a grunt sound, someone help me out here........

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
Re: Faked drum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 09:16:02 pm »
Well, they sound like elks....don´t know what the sound is in English. Hahaha.

If you really want a laugh, get some people from different countries together and ask what the animals - pigs, dogs, cows etc. - say in their own lanugage. Never laughed so much in my whole life!!

But that was a side-note.  I guess someone (like the buyer) has become a Sami Shaman, initiated to do Sami rituals by now. (SIGH)