Author Topic: "Transfer of Ashes"  (Read 5247 times)

weheli

"Transfer of Ashes"
« on: March 03, 2007, 03:10:08 am »
 Recently I was at a funeral and the Lakota Methodist Minister said they would be having a "Sacred Ceremony called the Transfer of Ashes" She explained that it is a very sacred time when the ashes of a creamated person is transfered to the Urn according to American Indian Traditions. I have never heard of this and several American Indians I have emailed have never heard of this.  :-\

I have just heard that this family was also told to keep my friend ashes for a year in a very special place and after a year there will be ceremony at that time. My friend was Cherokee as I am, her family has no knowledge of our Traditions. For the Cherokee and I believe the Lakota, burial must be on the 4th day.

Anyone know anything of the above mentioned ceremonies. I do know after a year there is a giveaway of the deceased posessions.( my spelling is off tonight)
                                                                      Weheli

Offline nahualqo

Re: "Transfer of Ashes"
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:35:15 am »
I am unfamiliar with any ashes cerimony as most tribal traditions inter the body or in our tribe, place it high from predators. There are strong beliefs about the body returning to the lifecycle of the Earth. We sacrifice our bodies back to food flesh. Also there are beliefs about how our body reintegrates back into the Earth that has an impact upon our soul's transference. I am purposefully sparse in communication on this not to offend anyone's sensibilities, I know how many different beliefs there are on this important subject.

Many believe that the Soul travels to a disembarkation point that some believe is at a place near California's Point Magu. The Soul Travels to the West to go home. The Soul is normally ready to release from the body and let it go after three days. It is a decent interval for the Soul to get used to being the departed. Usually, there is proper timing associated with opening the entrance into our new home for us. Some believe that an Eagle or Thunderbird or Thunderbeing exists in the West where we meet our destiny. I would like to hear anyone's traditional ashes beliefs, that is new to me. I humbly accept everyone's patience as we have differences on this subject. I only speak to what I know.

Recently I was at a funeral and the Lakota Methodist Minister said they would be having a "Sacred Ceremony called the Transfer of Ashes" She explained that it is a very sacred time when the ashes of a creamated person is transfered to the Urn according to American Indian Traditions. I have never heard of this and several American Indians I have emailed have never heard of this.  :-\

I have just heard that this family was also told to keep my friend ashes for a year in a very special place and after a year there will be ceremony at that time. My friend was Cherokee as I am, her family has no knowledge of our Traditions. For the Cherokee and I believe the Lakota, burial must be on the 4th day.

Anyone know anything of the above mentioned ceremonies. I do know after a year there is a giveaway of the deceased posessions.( my spelling is off tonight)
                                                                      Weheli

frederica

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 05:51:33 pm »
Never heard of anything like that. Maybe it is a revisionist version. But I have no idea what the Methodist do. And I don't think I know any to ask. frederica

weheli

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 01:00:18 am »
 I have done some research on this, talked with a Buddist friend, ect. This is not a methodist practice. This Lady is a Methodist minister and also claims Lakota heritage, however from what I have learned she seems to make up ceremonys as she goes and calls them " Sacred Native American Ceremonies". There is NO WHERE a ceremony as " TRansfer of Ashes", simply another made up ceremony by another Fraud, who also charges for workshops on these types of things.

I knew being Cherokee we had no such practice, so wanted feed back from others on this forum.
                                                                    Wado Weheli