Author Topic: Hello from a Newbie  (Read 3381 times)

Offline RunsWithScissorz

Hello from a Newbie
« on: March 07, 2011, 08:59:51 pm »
First, just a Thank You for this site and its work.  I only discovered it last night, have been reading a good bit and will be reading for some time to come. 

I'm Anglo (Scots, Irish, Dutch, English), no NDN blood.  However, from the age of 4 months into my early teens, I grew up on NDN reservations, primarily the Makah in NW Washington state and the White Mtn Apache in AZ.  Longer with the Apache and have some good friends there, so I feel more connection with them.  No expert, but have read much on the history and culture of many tribes.

Have been involved in small ways to show support where I could ... did a tiny part of the Longest Walk in 1978 (the last 7 miles into DC) ... participated for a couple of years in the DC-based American Indian Inter-Tribal Cultural Organization (AIITCO) which provided NDN speakers for area schools, supported area pow-wows and etc.  For a time there, especially in my 20's, I might have been thought of as a "wannabe", but for me it was more a need to sort out the glitches (for want of a better term) between traits acquired from my growing-up environment on the res, and the expectations of the wider world.  I have a foot in both, it was a matter of how much foot where. 

Have had some small experience with "medicine men" (Sun Bear, Rolling Thunder) and have certainly read a number of Those Books (!). 

Am 100% in support of all this site stands for.

With respect. 

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:27:06 am »
Tansi, Tawow!

Welcome, there is room!  We can all learn how to interact and how to have Respect.
Ric

Offline RunsWithScissorz

Re: Hello from a Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 05:47:51 am »
Thank you, I appreciate the welcome!