Author Topic: Appalachian Confederated Tribes  (Read 5589 times)

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Appalachian Confederated Tribes
« on: February 01, 2006, 01:15:28 pm »
Found this article. has some truths in it and seems almost legit until you get to the middle where it says:

By dispelling some of those myths, Vest hopes the tribe will attract more members - and he believes there are many folks in East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia with the traces of Indian blood needed to join.

"We welcome people that are of Indian heritage," he said. "We say you may have one drop of Indian blood in you, but if your heart is 100 percent Indian, that means you're receptive to our stories and learning our ways."

Folks interested in joining the tribe, however, should be prepared to share their oral family history or offer some other proof of their Indian heritage.

The tribe itself is also in the midst of an application process, one they hope will result in state recognition.

http://www.timesnews.net/communityArticle.dna?_StoryID=3594252

if this belongs in another category please move it. thanks.
Mo

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Appalachian Confederated Tribes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:45:28 am »
I'm moving this to Research Needed, one, because they admit to being an intertribal group of PODIAs, and two because they are not quite on the same scale of wrongdoing as the others in Frauds. Here's a discussion in Vance's group, reposted w/permission:

Date: Wed Feb 1, 2006  4:29 pm
Subject: Re: [chickamauga_researcher] Appalachian Confederated Tribes?  

I am encouraged that these people are saying they are descended from many tribes, and not just Cherokee. But can it be proven?

I was discouraged that they told their reason for seeking State Recognition -- their reason for it was 100 pecent commercial.

vance
-----
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2006  5:31 pm

The problem with claiming Monacan is that the Monacan tribe was extinct, and the Virginia Cherokee descendants could not get recognition by being Cherokee, so a Monacan tribe was "created" by record changing and false genealogy records (in the Virginia tribe). Most of those in Virginia claiming Monacan are traced back legitamately to Cherokee in the area. Sad but true. Money the root of all evil.

I am not sure about the Cherokee in Tennessee, why they would involve the Monacan tribe name, except for the fact that the Virginia group got state recognition using it.

Sheila
-----
Vance Hawkins" <vancehawkins@...>
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2006  6:27 pm

Sheila, there never were any Cherokee villages in Amherst County, Virginia. The people mentioned as "Rickohockans" were most likely remnants of the destroyed Eries, and they just lived in Va a short while and dissapeared. Cherokee traveled through Virginia in the 1750s, and during the Chickamauga wars they raided the region constantly from the 1770s to the 1790s. But their home was SE Tn at that time.

Monacan surnames were in Colonial Virginia and go back there for many many generations, and most never lived anywhere any Cheropkee villages, unless they left SW Va to live as intruders in  on Cherokee lands in E Tn. Some were asked and given passports . . .

The truth was just the opposite of what you suggest. If I recall it right, a 19th century anthropologist coined the name "Buffalo Ridge Cherokee" to describe people who appraerd to be Indian but who lived where thre wre not supposed to be any Indians. By this time the Monacan were long forgotten. They were allies with the Monohaoc, adn the last surviving band of Manahoac wee the Stuckanock, and the last of them were said to be in Monacan Town when the French Hugeunots arrived there in 1699. The French word "Malungion" is a French word implying "mixed race". If you look on the Hufeunot website, there was a Huguenot named "Jean Collins". Those Saponi who were ordered out of a place, was it Orange County? I forget -- for stealing hogs, scaring a farmer and setting the woods on fire -- anyhow, a few of their names are mentioned including a Collins. Anyhow, between 1699 sightings and 1740 when the Saponi were ordered out of that county, the Stuckenock appear to have been ordered to Fort Christanna (under the name of Stegarski I believe -- I might have misspelled that. After a generation these Indians drifted away from Fort Christanna, and went back to their original homes in the Appalachians of Virginia, judging from known surnames and genealogical studied. Another excellent original source body of information is found in the Bibliography section of "Who'se Your People?" by Richard Allen Carlson. That excellent book was his dissertation, part of his requirements for obtaining a PhD from Michigan State University. I suggest you read it. Dr. Carlson is descended from the McGoffin (sp?) County, Ky Melungeons, and shows their migration from NE Tn, before that SW Va, before that New River Va/NC and straight back to the Saponi ordered out of that county for scaring a farmer, et cetera, in 1740.This is a logical porgrression and can not be proven 100 percent, but it makes sinse since the Cherokee have never claimed any relations at all in that region and are in fact the staunchest opponets to yuor position on this.

I have a book "Monacans and Miners" by Samuel R. Cook. and they trace these people back mayny generations to people in earlier census records that were called "Issues" -- not Black, White, Coloerd, and some were called FPC at times if i recall it right, and I think I do. This is documented in past census records. I never saw any Cherokee surnames amongst the Monacan, well I saw one -- Wood, but it does not go back to Cherokee homeland.

There is documentation for all of this and there is no documentation for a Cherokee settlement in this region. An occasional Cherokee wife was taken by a settler who emigrated to this region, but this is a long way from being a Cherokee Cummunity or village.

Vance

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Appalachian Confederated Tribes
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:46:09 am »
Pt 2
-----
SHEILA ANDERSON-LEWIS" <ladyspirithawk@...>
Date: Wed Feb 1, 2006  7:13 pm

LETTER FROM A KEY TRIBAL PERSON:
I'm sending the article to the list so everyone will have to adjust their computers to read it. It over laps in some places so just line it up and tape it if you print it out.
It is my 3 great grand fathers brother that  is  being interviewed, not my ggggrandfather. So if he is stating that he is Cherokee at the age of 97 years old wouldn't that make his brothers and sister Cherokee also?? What would he gain by lying??
I also have the news letters where they have gotten grants to hire a volunteer coordinator for 75,000 a year for 3 years, 1,000 dollars to compinsate them where they cleaned  up the Bear Mountain Cemetary,instead of doing it for nothing cause it ain't that big.
2,500 for a new tribal roof that has been put on since 1996 and still is not there(so where is the money over the years gone to)
They have a scholarship fund that pays 1,000 for each student that is from a private person and they still want people to send money in for the monacan scholarship fund,not one single child has gone to collage with the scholarship only older adults. Plus they want you to send a 500 word essay on how you help your tribe,how can some people that live so far away do that,they don't know what is going on except what is being told to them.
If anyone wants copies let me know and I will send you copies of the news letters.
I also have proof of fordged documents that was done by one of the members of the monacan nation and I was told to burn them after I had made copies,but guess what I didn't start no fires.
Also I was told that I was going to get into trouble because I asked to many questions. This was said to me by the one who told me to burn the documents.
I ask questions to learn if they have nothing to hide then why would I get into trouble.
They are messing with the wrong one,I know what I know because I have it on DOCUMENTS and can prove what I say.
And yes I said that I have what my dad said to me and it was Cherokee!!!!! Who can you learn more from your family or starangers or money hungry people??????
My dad should have knew who he was, he was a JOHNS and his people came from there. William B. Johns would have been his 2nd great uncle,his brother his 2nd great grandfather.
Yellowwolf
-----
"Vance Hawkins" <vancehawkins@...>
Date: Fri Feb 3, 2006  9:56 am

http://www.monacannation.com/history.shtml

Excellent article about the Monacan's. The author, Karenne Wood, Program Director, Historical Research Office, Monacan Indian Nation, from my understanding, is very well respected. Also if you read to the bottom, you will the bibliography link. Click on that for the original source material.

vance