Author Topic: Shawnee Ghost Dance Mask?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline non-NDN

Shawnee Ghost Dance Mask?
« on: February 18, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »
Question for you guys... there's a museum in North Carolina built around the region's First Nations/NDN heritage, but one of the objects they just installed is a "shawnee ghost dance mask" created by the museum's janitor Charles D Carmen 3rd, who titles himself a "raincloud dancer" (which changed from when he was a "rainbow shaman dancer" a few weeks ago)

I wasnt aware the Shawnee had the Ghost Dance, but what troubles me most is that the "mask" is basically a commercial visor with a large beak attached, painted black, with eyes painted on it in acrylic, some hair hotglued on, and a ton of plastic crow beads (I do have a picture, I just dont know how to upload it so if anyone has advice for that I will gladly share the image)... it's just troubling; Im unfamilliar with Shawnee masks but theres something about this one that really sticks out as something that probably shouldnt be in a heritage museum.

Thoughts?

(I think I can attach the image in this post; gonna try that first)

Offline non-NDN

Re: Shawnee Ghost Dance Mask?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 08:20:54 pm »
"this guy "had a vision" and made it to dance the curator into the after life. He got hired on as a maintenance guy and talked about how he was a medicine man that learned off of Larry White Eagle or some shit. Something about his grandmother is a Shawnee medicine woman and a teacher. But then he doesn't have any Shawnee ties...or does he...wait...what day is it because I'm pretty sure it depends on the day on whether he's registered. I hate him so much"

-from my contact in the area

What raised my hackles about this teacher was the name Larry White Eagle, a man convicted of first degree sexual assault of a minor (http://www.wicourts.gov/ca/opinion/DisplayDocument.html?content=html&seqNo=3833)

I dunno what's going on down there but it seems a bit strange to install in a Heritage museum

Offline non-NDN

Re: Shawnee Ghost Dance Mask?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:25:53 pm »
Another image