Author Topic: Pretty sure it's a fraud, but other things about it may need research  (Read 5048 times)

Offline kiyoshi

Hi.  I'm kiyoshi. Not Native--Euro/Asian bi-racial.  I've done some cultural stealing in my time.  Am open to any ideas on how I can make amends.

I used to attend sweat lodges in the lesbian community (not Native sweats.)  Encountered a situation there that IMO was pretty abusive.  Leader of the lodge claimed to be Yaqui, but wasn't trained in a tribe, had no associations to a tribe. She also claimed to be a healer of sorts--She wouldn't let people leave the lodge when they were in physical distress.  Instead, she wanted to put her hands on them and "heal" the symptoms.  This didn't always work.

She was also IMO abusing her authority to, well...get dates.  (I'll put it nicely.)  IMO some sexual abuse going on there. (While pouring water, she made some remarks like "Something's trying to get through!  Oh.. If you're attracted to someone, now is the time to tell them!  Now is the time to act on it!"  I fell for it.  We were "dating."  She told me to keep it a secret.  Not right.)

She was a motivation enough for me to stop attending those sweats.  Hearing about the Lakota/Nakota/Dakota tribal elders' request that "non's" refrain from having sweats cemented my decision to stay away from all non-Native sweats in general.  They're pretty big in some parts of the lesbian "spiritual" community, sad to say.

My biggest concern: last I heard, this woman was head dancer of a fairly large "women's sun dance."  (I put that in quotes, because I do understand that's not traditional.)  I don't know if she still is head dancer, and that's one of the things that needs research.  (I'm willing to do this.)  It started out as a women of color dance, and I know some Native women do attend.  I don't want to define that dance for them as disrespectful.  But it does worry me that the sweat lodge leader I mentioned is so involved, is possibly still in a position of trust and authority. I worry that she may (IMO) abuse someone else, or that someone won't be able to leave the lodge in distress, and someone will be hurt.

The "sun dance" has been moving around the Southwest.  It's scheduled to land permanently on a women's collective known as Westwind in Ribera, NM: plans are in the works to have annual women's sun dances at that site.  The sweat lodge leader I mentioned--the one who may still be head dancer for this particular "sun dance" is named Teresa Candelaria.  (Whew.  That was a hard one.)

I just hope that's helpful to someone.  Again: I don't want to see a repeat.  I really do think someone might get hurt.

frederica

Is this the Sundance started in St. Johns Arizona with Beverly Little Thunder?  I believe we have a thread on this, but will have to check and see.

Offline kiyoshi

I'm not sure about origins, but haven't heard that name associated with this sun dance. I'll check into it more and get back on that.

Offline kiyoshi

Hi.  I read the article on Beverly Little Thunder posted on the forum.  Now I kind of have a sense of who she is and the controversy around her.  No.  I don't believe she has/had anything to do with this sun dance.

I may be able to check into origins a little further.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
what is the name of the person running this dance??
In Spirit

Offline kiyoshi

Last i heard, the head dancer's name was Teresa Candelaria.  Don't know if this is still true, but have a feeling it is.  I'm trying to reach a friend (if she ever gets off dial-up!)  She's not all that friendly with that community, but she has her finger on the pulse of just about everything...  If anyone knows (outside that group) who started it, who's leading it now, she'll be able to tell me.

T. Candelaria is the woman who claims to be part Yaqui (grew up in L.A.)  She is a woman of color, but wasn't trained by elders, wasn't raised in a tribal situation.  Also some problem (IMO) with abuses of power.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Further discussion on Beverly Little Thunder moved here: http://www.newagefraud.org/smf/index.php?topic=1209.0