Author Topic: Sweatlodges at Sacred Groves for Community Healing  (Read 6072 times)

Offline cleardreamer

Sweatlodges at Sacred Groves for Community Healing
« on: May 30, 2007, 03:42:20 am »
While I didn't get a particularly bad feeling (not initially, anyway) from these people looking around the site at http://sacredgroves.com/, it seems they have a resident nuager conducting sweatlodges. Granted, they seem a lot less barf worthy - at first glance - than many sites (at least they don't talk about channeling the seventh angel rainbow crystal galactic ascension rays or anything weird like that), I still find it kind of odd for these white (feminist?) women to be running sweatlodges. They're probably not the worst offenders of their kind, but still.

This woman  (http://www.spiritalive.net/) - one of those "life coaches" (whatever those are) - is the one generally conducting the "ceremonies".

Sacred Groves also has a "Moon Lodge" (http://sacredgroves.com/moonlodge.php). Looks like they offer everything but the kitchen sink (an intentional, all-female community, a "women's mystery school", art classes, weddings, etc).

Looking at their calendar, they also host "women's way vision quests", "women's moon ceremonies", and a "clan mothers apprenticeship" (whatever that is).  Since their prices aren't disclosed on the site, I shudder to think what they must be charging in order to keep their "intentional community" going. The Seattle area isn't exactly a cheap place to live, especially if you have to rely on the state ferry system on a regular basis...

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sweatlodges at Sacred Groves for Community Healing
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 04:02:27 pm »
This sacred grove site has a Bainbridge Islands phone number. That is 2 miles from me. Across a bridge. In the last census, BI was found to have more millionaires per square acre then Medina, where Bill gates lives. Used to be a nice place until the rich folks toook it over.  Now it is a hot bed of people with more money then sense. Lots of nuage types. That "woman's mystery" stuff is a dead giveaway.

OMG! I just looked at the moonlodge page! I KNOW that woman! Worked for her briefly many years ago. Sorry to see that she is into all this crap. Oh welll, when she retired from being a midwife, I guess she needed a new thing to do. :(

Offline cleardreamer

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 07:18:23 pm »
Uncanny that you're right nearby! I visited Bainbridge Island briefly last January and had some pretty good pizza at a little place on the waterfront down the hill from Sealth's grave.

From the parts I saw, I honestly had no idea it was home to so many rich people. They must be up high among the hills, they way the rich always are. It's a damn shame to see money ruin a good place, but it invariably does. Orcas Island is another place that was probably much nicer before the money came in and did its thing. Lot of rich Microsofties there. I still love the San Juan Islands and sometimes wish I could live up there. Portland just isn't any fun.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 11:20:06 pm »
If you had pizza at Bella Luna's, you could l;ook across the water to the sand spit where a lot of well to do people live. Recently, some people my husband knew as a child, sold their non-descript, 2 story, older home, on 1/2 acre for $350,000.  They could afford the taxes anymore.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 09:27:24 pm »
they also host... a "clan mothers apprenticeship" (whatever that is). 

Looks like it's based on a Jamie Sams book.  Enough said.   ::)

Seriously, I think I've heard of this group.  If it's the one I heard about, someone claiming to be Cherokee was leading sweats and advising people about Chanupa.  When I told my acquaintance that neither of those traditions are Cherokee her story changed and she said it was someone with "Lakota blood" who lead the sweats and gave her the Chanupa.  Odd, she'd never said this person was Lakota before I told her the ceremonies she wanted to rip off were Lakota.

>:(

Offline theresecharvet

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:02 am »
I realize I am replying to some posts that are several years old, but I just happened upon this website and want to set the record straight.  I am the owner/director of Sacred Groves and yes, we do offer sweatlodges here.  I do not claim to be Native American nor to offer a traditional Native American sweatlodge.  We do not charge a fee for this ceremony nor for most events and rituals offered here--we put a basket out and receive what is offered; nobody is turned away for lack of funds. 

I learned sweatlodge ceremony over many years from a woman who was mentored by a Lakota teacher. I have attended many sweatlodges and other ceremonies led by Native peoples and was a supporter at a Sundance for four years on the Blood Reserve in Southern Alberta, CA.  We offer this ceremony at Sacred Groves in all humility and utmost respect for the traditions of First Nations People.  I believe healing rituals and ceremonies are deeply needed now, especially those that connect people to Mother Earth and Great Spirit.

The sweatlodge came to Sacred Groves because Spirit wanted this ceremony offered here; I myself resisted building the lodge here, but because it was meant to be, it came to be in spite of my protests.  This was ten years ago and I have seen how this ceremony opens and heals many people. The great birds--owl, eagle and raven--have all blessed the lodge with visits during our ceremonies.  The cedar trees near the lodge have flourished and gotten healthier since the lodge was built.  The lodge has been blessed by a Native elder who came to visit.  There have been other such signs that led me to feel that Great Spirit wants us to offer this ceremony here despite my lack of credentials as a Native American.  I feel that this lodge is in alignment with the old ways though it is held

I offer a Women's Mysteries School here as an outgrowth of my experience as a midwife, watching hundreds of women give birth, and my experience as a woman going through the stages of life in a conscious way.  I offer "Spirit Quests" rather than Vision Quests and these are based in my own personal experiences of going into the wilderness alone to pray and connect with Spirit. I have tried to be careful about cultural appropriation; I know it is a very tender issue and I am always looking for ways to express my humility and respect.

Yes, Bainbridge Island where I live has gotten to be a place for rich people, but I am not in that category.  We bought this land in 1976 and paid it off by living simply, building a small house and keeping our material possessions small.  I continue to live simply and pay taxes by sharing the land with others who are willing to share housing and other resources in a little intentional community.  It is a good, honest way of life. 

I hope this will help clarify who we are at Sacred Groves.  Blessings on you and your good work on this website!