General > Frauds

Passing as Native Musicians

(1/25) > >>

educatedindian:
A woman in the audience in Eskilstuna brought this up. And another person called out " We want a list! Now!" It got a big laugh, and made a would-be "chief" in the audience pretty nervous. Then again, so did my whole speech...

The only name of an imposter in the music business I could give them was Douglas Spotted Eagle. I know there's some others, people have been complaining about the faked winning NAMMY awards for years. Who else have others heard about as phonies?

Almost forgot-WTF! Willliam Two Feathers.

And Debbie's link in news and announcements points out Yeagley has a music CD out, but he's not NDN. His adopted mother was.

ironhead:
I am of the opinion that anybody with a modicum of musical talent, if they had a bent to, can buy a CD of native music, study the melodies, and the beat, then buy native type garb and bead themselves up and display themselves in all their glory on a stage and tell anything they can dream up to a crowd. People who do this kind of thing have no conscience, so why should they concern themselves with being "exposed", when they long ago ran off with the money.

BlackWolf:
educatedindian said

--- Quote ---Who else have others heard about as phonies?
--- End quote ---

John Two Hawks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL5VjT002DM

I've been in contact with some pretty reliable sources that tell me this man is NOT known to be Lakota.  No one knows him as a Lakota, nor has anyone ever heard of his family in Lakota communites in North Dakota, South Dakota, etc.  He's been known to show up every now and then in some of the Lakota communities out there but thats about it.  The fraud is traveling around Europe presenting himself as "Lakota" and is misappropriating the Lakota name.  In that video I posted, he performed in Finland in front of 12,000 people and has done numerous public interviews speaking as an authority on Lakota culture and history.  This man is a fraud presenting himself as something he is not.

Unegv Waya:
I must confess that I am ignorant about Douglas Spotted Eagle.  I've heard his music but had no idea he was misrepresenting himself until a few years ago when I heard some rumors that he was but no one told me how he was doing this or could offer anything that showed he was a fraud.  So, please educate me about DSE.

Wado

Diana:
Here's a paragraph from Douglas spotted eagle,s website. It's from a 2001 statement where he is defending himself for winning a grammy in the American Indian catagory and for winning two Nammys. He admits he has no Native blood. My bold.

http://www.spottedeagle.com/gramstat.htm

Lastly, it was brought up by Herman Begay that Indian America is less-than-satisfied with my adoption by Lakota family 26 years ago and marriage into a Dine’ family as being or not being valid enough to have received a Grammy™ in the Native American category. To cut to the core of this point, the Grammy™’s are colorblind. It’s a music industry award, not a race award, not a color, religion, sexual preference, or cultural award. For years, people of various cultures have received Grammy™’s for their work on projects related to music divergent from their own culture. The producers of ALL Grammy™ nominated recordings in 2000 are non-Native, so at some level, this issue would be raised. For what it’s worth, I was dancing at powwow before the age of 13.  My family and I are proud that Tom and I were the recipients of the first-ever Native American Category Grammy™. I make no apology to anyone who is not satisfied with the voting of the 12,000 members of NARAS. I make no apology for the fact that while I was raised Native, I'm not of Native blood. If my person, skin color, or appearance don't meet with someone's prejudices, I offer no apology.  Readers also should clearly understand that at some very near point, it's likely a non-Native will win the Grammy™ in this category as a solo artist. It's ironic that if there had never been a Grammy™ Award, none of this would have ever been an issue. Be grateful everyone, for this terrific opportunity.

Lim lemtsh

Diana

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version