Author Topic: Gary Morris, is this author on the Yurok OK?  (Read 9020 times)

Offline Stonehorn

Gary Morris, is this author on the Yurok OK?
« on: January 30, 2009, 02:26:14 pm »
Hi there,
This is Stonehorn from the Netherlands. A couple of months ago I read a book in Dutch called “Sporen in ons hart: De levende erfenis van de Yurok Indianen” by an author named Gary Morris. This book is supposedly translated from the title They Leave Footprints in Your Hearts. An internet search told me that no such book seems to exist. I was unable to find any information about the author either.

I must confess that I liked the book, primarily because it was well written. The book details the author’s relationship with Calvin Rube and Georgina Matilton, two Yurok healers. Flora Jones, another healer, also figures in the book. I know these are people that really existed (Flora Jones is mentioned in the legitimate book “The Sacred”). There are two pictures of Calvin Rube in the book. However, not with the author.

The story begins with a Native American man putting a deadly spell on the author. Calvin Rube saves his life. Several chapters are devoted to a waterfall that speaks to the author. The last few chapters are devoted to a meeting with the Hopi Indians and the author ridicules another white guy who thinks he will see UFO’s above the pueblo.

Is the medicine man (Calvin Rube) living on a reservation and supporting his community?
The book does not make this clear, it doesn’t sound like he lives on a rez.

Does he sell spirituality for money? Doesn’t sound like it.

Does he speak his own language? I think so.

Because I know so little about the traditional religion of the Yurok, it’s very difficult for me to figure out if this writer is legitimate or is pulling another Castaneda on me. I hope someone can shed some light on this issue.

Thanks!

Stonehorn

Offline Spaewife

Re: Gary Morris, is this author on the Yurok OK?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:30:16 am »
From what I understand or can remember from someone from Yurok posting elsewhere.. ONLY the women were the medicine people. 
I'll see if I can find a post on it..  in the mean time.. what does he say Yurok means?

Offline Stonehorn

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 02:24:04 pm »
Hi,
No translation of the term "Yurok"  is given in the book. Any more comments, anyone?

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 01:46:16 am »
Is the book from an academic publisher? Does Morris say he is an anthropologist? I have a hard time such a work, if legit, would not be being referenced by someone in academia. Morris is a very common name, but the most prominent people in academia I could find with his name are in computer sci and music theory. Perhaps the book is a small self published work.

I did find the book being sold online. Only in Dutch.
http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/604030/Morris-Gary-Traces-De-Pas-Dans-Nos-Coeurs-L-heritage-Vivant-Des-Indiens-Yuroks-Livre.html

I found references to Rube in academic sources.
http://books.google.co.id/books?id=e0ykFnDf6gEC&pg=PA157&lpg=PA157&dq=%22Calvin+Rube&source=web&ots=zsRbvDn2bX&sig=zYtWoykhtXbCtgvDnvb3Nk7zFSk&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/wicazo_sa_review/v018/18.1rojas.pdf

http://www.escholarship.org/editions/view?docId=ft8g5008k8&doc.view=content&chunk.id=d0e317&toc.depth=1&anchor.id=0&brand=ucpress&query=native%2520american%2520folklore

The second one is the American Indian Studies journal for ASU.

I also found him on a Bigfoot site, but mostly talking about the lore of his people.
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_article.asp?id=201

A dubious "healer" claiming to have been trained by Rube. Bobby Lake Thom, whose been discussed at NAFPS before.
http://www.mysterious-america.net/realitycheck208.html
http://www.nativehealer.net/Healer2005/about.html

Offline kosowith

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 12:04:59 am »
There is no translation for the term Yurok - it is the name of a Indian nation and if translated by them would be a discription of where they originated and where their spiritual center is. The Yurok live near Mt. Shasta and are centered around the Klamath River, they are closely related to other Yukian speakers  (Tolowa, Hupa, Chilula, Wiyot, and  Karok) and are the people Krober created the term "tribelette" for.  The only traditional leader/healer I know of, Florence passed away a few years ago, but now her grandaughter, Kaleen is taking up her duties. 

Offline Stonehorn

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 07:38:25 pm »
Here I am again. The book is not from an academic publisher, but by a "regular" publisher. Morris doesn't claim to be an anthropologist, the book has a semi-autobiographical setup, and he details his younger days as a cowboy. On the back of the book it says he now lectures and writes articles.

The edition for sale is a French copy.

OK, any more suggestions, somebody must have heard from this guy???

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 05:38:21 pm »
Dear Stonehorn,
My name is Gary Morris, the author of the book you read "Sporen In Ons Hart." Not long ago I was trying, yet again, to find out what happened to my publisher, Bres Publishing, when I came across your post here. I. like you, feel that any book, any claim, by anyone to be a "spokesperson," shaman, healer, practitioner, must be approached with a great deal of skepticism. Most are complete frauds and horrible abusers of Indian people and anything you, or anyone can do to strip these people of any audience they might have is commendable work.
With your permission I would like to answer all the questions that have been posted on this site and then give you my email address so I might speak to any other questions about my life and my writing you might have.
First "Yurok" is the name of Calvin Rube's tribe given to them by a tribe up river from them, the Karok, and means "Down the River People. Their name for themselves is Pulikla (poo-leek-la) which also means "Down The River People."
The pictures in the book of Calvin Rube and Georgina Matilton were the only pictures ever taken of them. They were taken by a San Francisco Chronicle photographer when one of their staff writers came to Calvin Rube's house to be Doctored. I was never photographed with them and the truth is they didn't want their picture taken as a matter of principle.
I am not now, nor will I ever be an anthropologist. I came to Calvin's house as an orphan the year my step-mother murdered my father. I think they let me stay there because they felt sorry for me. I was, indeed, a hard case and I knew almost nothing about how human life should be conducted. I ended up living with them for more than 20 years until they died; Calvin on February 3, 1985 and Georgina on February 3, 1989.
Calvin and Georgina did speak their language, lived on their own reservation. Yurok country was very unique in very many respects when it came to whiteman incursion into their lives and their land. White people first showed up there in 1853 and Calvin's and Georgina's parents were children when this happened, so when they spoke about their original tradition, they spoke about it from their own personal experience and personal experiences of their parents.
As to my book, it was never published in English, although I have copies of my writing in English and if you wanted a copy, I would be more than glad to email it to you, if you promised me not to post it on the internet in its entirety.
Although it says on the back of my book that I write articles and lecture, I must admit that I do not like the term lecture. I have done many talks, for which I received no pay of any kind. It was never my intention to gather a “following,” never conducted any “ceremony,” workshop, training, get away weekend, shaman training, vision quest, or in simpler terms---I never spread any bullshit.
The reason I wrote the book was because I wanted everyone to know that such people existed in our lifetimes. As that old saying goes; “Another heaven and earth will have to come to pass for the likes of them to ever pass this way again.” They were the two most peaceful people I ever met and I would never have had any life at all if they hadn’t taken me in and treated me the way they did. I miss them every day and the whole world was diminished by their passing. Please feel free to ask me any question you have and I will be glad to reply in a timely manner.
Respectfully
Gary Morris
hawkoom@hughes.net