Author Topic: The Red Star - Sponsors of Lakota Ceremony  (Read 17723 times)

Offline Freija

• I Love YaBB 2!
The Red Star - Sponsors of Lakota Ceremony
« on: April 04, 2008, 07:30:49 pm »
I´ve been asked by a friend to forward this to NAFPS.
These guys are based in Texas.

http://theredstar.ning.com/

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: The Red Star - Sponsors of Lakota Ceremony
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »
Gee these guys made me sick
In Spirit

Offline Cat

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 10:08:33 pm »
Gee these guys made me sick

Hi Earth...
Besides the obvious stuff on this page that is not right.... have you ever heard of a three day Sun dance???

Cat

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 02:50:00 am »
None of the stuff they are doing make sense.
One they don't the right
No they should not have it on the net
two they are doing things bad
In Spirit

Offline Spaewife

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 03:22:01 am »
any of you read the pdf? 

frederica

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 03:57:27 am »
Read it, but they do not give the name of the adopted brother who now leads this. Sounds like the same old story, didn't see a price.

Offline Spaewife

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 05:48:11 am »
Thought I saw somewhere gods want to say 33-60 something. or whatever can be donated. I'm going to have to go back and read it again..  my monitor is flaking..

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 01:01:47 pm »
If you look at the members list, there are several Germans. The rest are white Texans, except for two with Latino names. Mary Thunder's people are not far from Austin, including the white guy claiming to be a Sun Dance leader, Michael Hull.

There is one person named Sally Hunt aka Sunka Wakan Luzahan Win. I haven't been able to find anything on her, except that a Wakan Luzahan does show up in some very old Lakota land records.
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sd/todd/land/todd-s.txt

In the PDF they claim they were trained by Orville Reddest and now are led by his "adopted brother" Jerry, the white guy who runs the site, Jerry Daniels.

See also http://www.theredstar.org/lodge.htm
"Red Star Altar sponsors frequent lodges in the Austin area, set-up and conducted according to Lakota traditions passed on to us by Orville Reddest — who, in turn, was taught by Earl Swift Hawk."

It's pretty strange they claim they had to be the ones to carry on for Reddest. According to the obit he had six children and who knows how many other relatives.
http://www.nanews.org/archive/2003/nanews11.009

http://www.theredstar.org/donations.htm
"Click here to SECURELY charge your donation to a credit card       
Mail checks to Red Star Foundation at:
      Post Office Box 42017
      Austin, Texas 78704
    OR click here to shop Amazon and donate a portion of purchases automatically to Red Star at no extra charge to you! You must click to Amazon from this link for Red Star to benefit.
Red Star Foundation is a registered non-profit Texas corporation. Donations are tax deductible under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. 

....Your donations of time, money, or materials can help Red Star Foundation pay for land, construction, support of Reservation Elders, and other expenses incurred to provide these ceremonies. Any amount of money (or needed materials) is appreciated.

Giving is a great way to say Wopila (a declaration of gratitude) for the good things in your life. Likewise, the Foundation says Wopila to all our supporters — and (upon request) offers a one-year email account at theredstar.org for donations of $100.00 or more."

And there's another website where their gatherings are promoted that is far weirder.
http://www.treeoflifefoundation.com

http://www.treeoflifefoundation.com/SiteMap.html
Site Map
**Links**
About John Cannon
Iktomi
Mentors, Colleagues, Inspirations
Nonordinary States of Consciousness
Matix-based/Facilitated Groups
Buddhism & Other Psychotherapies
Spiritual & Developmental Life Coaching 
Executive Coaching & Business Apps
Information about Sweatlodges, Sundances, Pipe Ceremonies...
Forums for Sundancers, local sweats, etc.
Trance Dancing
Services
Ecotherapy
Eco-Spiritual Networking
The Music
Eco-Oral/Experiential Story-telling Education
Chinese Tang Poetry
Other Poetry Links
Ecstatic Trance Postures
Iktomi

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 02:51:03 am »
I do not believe they are authorized to do anything, but I will say that Orville's kids do nothing spiritual.  That Sundance at Lost Dog Creek, the Reddest family compund, was originally started by Orville's father Eugene and Tommy Crow, who was supposed to be the intercessor, but Orville took it over and Eugene did not want to fight him about it. Orville was raised and taught by Earl Swift Hawk.

Offline quicksilverwade

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:51 pm »
http://theredstar.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2051967%3ATopic%3A921&page=2&commentId=2051967%3AComment%3A2144&x=1#2051967Comment2144

Here is my reply to one post:

Permalink Reply by enrolled with the hunkpati dakota nation 2 minutes ago

you white folk are fucking insane. stop your shit for your bad medicine will come back to haunt you!

13 minutes left to edit your comment.   
? Reply to This

Offline ska

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 01:56:07 am »
In a previous post, Cetan said this about Orville Reddest's kids:

"I do not believe they are authorized to do anything, but I will say that Orville's kids do nothing spiritual."

I'm not sure how to take your comment, but I interpreted it as a putdown.  Forgive me if I have misinterpreted.  It is possible that you were trying to distance the Reddest family from the Red Star fakes and frauds.

Orville has one daughter still alive and living on the Rosebud (the other two, as you know, passed away long time ago).I don't think she'd agree with you that she "does nothing spiritual".  She speaks her language, attends ceremonies, and tries to raise her kids and survive as best as she can. 

ska

Offline quicksilverwade

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 02:56:08 am »
I guess they changed their site to be by invitation only:

Membership to The Red Star is By Invitation Only
We're sorry, but the administrator has chosen to require an invitation to join The Red Star. If you have an invitation, click the link in the email to join.
Sign in to The Red Star
There was a problem signing in

Email Address 
Password 

Forgot your password?
Problems signing in?  The Red Star
 Non-Profit Sponsoring of Lakota Ceremony & Culture
We use Ning ID for authentication. What is a Ning ID?

Offline chiefytiger

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 05:07:28 am »
My thoughts only ,maybe anyone who is interested should get some funds together and go and check it out,i know I would love to,but would be better if we went as a group.... >:(
Chiefytiger

Offline Jim Cheshier

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 09:14:57 pm »
The Red Star-Sponsors of Lakota Ceremony!!! I have looking for a way to get involved and to enjoy the sweat's that are held on Sat. at dusk in the area of Austin! I was given this sight and told someone would get in contact with me and let me know more about the sweats.
I have been going to sweats for just over 3 years! Problem is they are in Okla. and I would love to find that special feeling a little closer to home!

Jim 210-867-7036

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 11:30:52 pm »
The Red Star-Sponsors of Lakota Ceremony!!! I have looking for a way to get involved and to enjoy the sweat's that are held on Sat. at dusk in the area of Austin! I was given this sight and told someone would get in contact with me and let me know more about the sweats.
I have been going to sweats for just over 3 years! Problem is they are in Okla. and I would love to find that special feeling a little closer to home!

Jim 210-867-7036

???!!!