Author Topic: Sometimes Stupid is Funny  (Read 7739 times)

Offline MatoSiWin

Sometimes Stupid is Funny
« on: July 23, 2008, 06:44:45 pm »
Woman stabs self during Wiccan ritual
Accident happens during good-luck ritual
The Associated Press
updated 6:24 p.m. ET, Tues., July. 22, 2008
LEBANON, Ind. - A woman accidentally stabbed herself in the foot with a 3-foot-long sword while performing a Wiccan good luck ritual at a cemetery in central Indiana.

Katherine Gunther, 36, of Lebanon, pierced her left foot with the sword while performing the rite at Oak Hill Cemetery, police said.

Gunther said she was performing the ceremony to give thanks for a recent run of good luck. The ceremony involves the use of candles, incense and driving swords into the ground during the full moon.

Gunther said was aiming to put the sword in the ground, but hit her foot instead.

"It wasn't the first time I performed the ritual, but it was the first time I put a sword through my foot," she said.

Gunther immediately pulled the sword out of her foot, and her companions took her to Witham Memorial Hospital, where she was kept a couple days for treatment.

No charges were filed, police said. The Wiccans were warned that being in the cemetery in the city about 20 miles northwest of Indianapolis after posted visiting hours constitutes trespassing.

Wicca is a nature-based religion based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Sometimes Stupid is Funny
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:23:25 am »
Wicca is a nature-based religion based on respect for the earth, nature and the cycle of the seasons.

Because stabbing Her is a great way to show respect to the Earth Mother.

Offline MatoSiWin

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:45:44 pm »
Gunther said she was performing the ceremony to give thanks for a recent run of good luck.

Guess it ran out.

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 11:46:57 pm »
Well, stab the earth, stab herself... I guess that's one way of trying to be At One with The Earth.

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:27:26 pm »
The stupid, it burns! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Offline Juliet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 11:10:23 pm »
This little wiccan would perform the ceremony at home, with just candles and incense.  No cemeteries or swords.

BTW: whenever you hear a fundamentalist fulminating about the danger presented by the tiny number of pagans in America, just remember this silly lady and her sword.  Trust me: there are times we can barely remember which way is widdershins during Circle.  And we're supposed to be Satan's minions?