Author Topic: Wolf Spirit - Blooming Essense Website, Native Psychic Readings.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Superdog

While cruising through powwows.com i ran across a thread started by a lady who calls herself Wolf Spirit asking for translations into any Native language of a few possible names for her dog.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/native-issues/50283-i-am-looking-native-word-spellings.html

Don't have a real name for her, but she goes by the name Wolf Spirit on her website as well.

Here's her website:
http://www.bloomingessence.com/BloomingEssence.html

and her bio:
http://www.bloomingessence.com/My-Bio.html

I wouldn't classify her as a fraud.  More of a PODIA who's disconnected from her culture and in desperate need of an education about Native people.  However I place her here in hopes that maybe she'll find this and engage in a discussion about some of the things she's doing wrong.  Unfortunately for Ric and other Metis people, she's another who misinterprets herself as Metis.

I worry that she may unknowingly be a plastic shaman in the making as she's in the midst of writing her first book.  She's working mainly offering Reiki treatments, but also offers Native Psychic Readings, which in reality are just run of the mill psychic reading services, but she seems to want to connect them with her ancestry that she places as Alqonquin from Quebec.

The summation of her knowledge of Native people can be found in a poem on one of her pages called Mother Tribe:
http://www.bloomingessence.com/Gems/MotherTribe.html

In this poem she's stating that it isn't blood that makes you Native it's the soul and then goes on to say "don't call yourself Cree, don't call yourself Shawnee...etc etc.....Say I am of the Mother Tribe"

Basically putting a one size fits all spin on Native cultures and disregarding the fact that we're all veeeerrrrrry very different.  Her post on powwows.com exemplifies this is as well as she was asking for "any" Native spelling of possible names for her dog such as "Sees Spirits, Spirit, Sage and Protector"  and also has another dog she's named TaKoda which she translates as "friend for life".

She got pretty offended on powwows.com when someone suggested that she name her dog Shunka Wahapi...  ;)  which I thought was pretty funny....ask a silly question, get a silly answer.

Anyway, she's more of a lost soul trying to reconnect obviously, but has been taught allllll the wrong things.  Hopefully she'll engage here.  Have a look at the website, she's from Canada, maybe someone's seen her before.

Superdog
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:21:05 pm by Superdog »

Offline Ric_Richardson

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Wolf Spirit - Blooming Essense Website, Native Psychic Readings.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »
Tansi;

Actually, if she is from Ontario, she may actually be of Metis descent although she doesn't seem to be connected with the Metis of her region.  All of the other things, like readings and such like do seem to smack of her trying to set herself up as a fraud, since she does not seem to be connected to her Algonquin or Metis heritage (if those are real) or she would understand that there are ways to be Respected.
Ric

Offline Superdog

Re: Wolf Spirit - Blooming Essense Website, Native Psychic Readings.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:47 pm »
Tansi;

Actually, if she is from Ontario, she may actually be of Metis descent although she doesn't seem to be connected with the Metis of her region.  All of the other things, like readings and such like do seem to smack of her trying to set herself up as a fraud, since she does not seem to be connected to her Algonquin or Metis heritage (if those are real) or she would understand that there are ways to be Respected.
Ric

I agree with you Ric....the only reason I think she misinterprets it is because she claims to be descended Alqonquin in one breath and then Metis in another.  But she's definitely disconnected.  In her case, I think setting herself up as a fraud is kind of happening by accident and from bad influences, none of which are Native or Metis people.  That's why I'm hoping she'll engage.  It's great that she follows a good way, but she's derailing herself by using the terms Native and Metis  as selling points when the things she sells have nothing to do with any Native or Metis cultures.  She's also saying her name came through a vision quest....another dangerous selling point.