Author Topic: Ancestral Voices/ Phillip Scott  (Read 144588 times)

Offline milehighsalute

Re: Ancestral Voices/ Phillip Scott
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 05:01:33 pm »
the flesh offerings by blade are called "buffalo rounds"........my lakota friends are APPALLED that a non-indian is claiming to have the right to perform them

Offline Superdog

« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 05:34:04 pm »
Phillip's "Indigenous Lifeways Meetup" group. 

Here's a post of an upcoming "Medicine Wheel Ceremony"....he's doing some serious bs'ing here:
http://www.meetup.com/Indigenous-Lifeways-Meetup-Group/events/104524842/
"The Medicine Wheel is an ancient, powerful tool employed by Indigenous peoples throughout the world for health and healing. We assemble atop Mt. Tamalpais, the Sacred mountain in Marin, for a ceremony to create a Medicine Wheel in honour and celebration of the Equinox and to pray for All of our Relations.

Appropriate ceremonial attire is required. Also, please dress in layers and prepare for all weather phenomena. A feast follows the ceremony. There is never a charge through respectful donations are customary and appreciated. Please contact organizer for further information and protocols."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bold is mine.  He puts this tag line for every meeting he sets up (including the regular sweatlodges he advertises).  This short blurb about medicine wheels is made up by Phillip....loads of bs.  This group...appears more like fishing for new "students".  All the posts created by Phillip.  All questions posted in the comments are never answered by Phillip publicly, but occasionally one of the members will point the Ancestral Voices website or direct the question to the "Chief" himself.

http://www.meetup.com/Indigenous-Lifeways-Meetup-Group/

You'll also find all events crossposted to another group called "Bay Area Native Americans" (which he also is a member of the "leadership team"
http://www.meetup.com/BayAreaNativeAmericans/members/?op=leaders

Superdog
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:58:10 pm by Superdog »

Offline Julianw

« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2013, 02:07:29 am »
I have known and been associated with Chief Phillip Scott for seven years. As a result of my commitment, I have participated in numerous ceremonies. He has taught me the values of an Indigenous Way of Life. Although he can be demanding, I experience him to always exhibit equal respect towards women and men. In fact, when I first met the Chief I was impressed by his clear behavior towards women, and this was one reason that I chose to align with him. Throughout my time, I have felt respected as a woman and I have learned to conduct myself with a greater awareness in my sacred roles as a mother and wife. I’ve never experienced or observed mixed messages in his interactions with women. He consistently displays a true intent and fixed focus upon purification, prayer and community. There has never been a charge for ceremony. The Chief’s tireless devotion and dedication to prayer, healing and service are a testimony to his walk within these ways; there has never been just talk.  He has been and continues to be a significant mentor and ceremonial leader in my life, for which I am truly grateful.

used2bnaf

« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2013, 02:53:07 am »
How do you justify following a non-lakota performing Native American Ceremony?

How do you justify your behavior, being a non-lakota, and practicing it, and possibly other Native traditions that are not yours to participate in?

These are just two of the the questions that come to mind.  There may be  more later.

Roy

Epiphany

« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »
I have known and been associated with Chief Phillip Scott for seven years. As a result of my commitment, I have participated in numerous ceremonies. He has taught me the values of an Indigenous Way of Life. Although he can be demanding, I experience him to always exhibit equal respect towards women and men. In fact, when I first met the Chief I was impressed by his clear behavior towards women, and this was one reason that I chose to align with him. Throughout my time, I have felt respected as a woman and I have learned to conduct myself with a greater awareness in my sacred roles as a mother and wife. I’ve never experienced or observed mixed messages in his interactions with women. He consistently displays a true intent and fixed focus upon purification, prayer and community. There has never been a charge for ceremony. The Chief’s tireless devotion and dedication to prayer, healing and service are a testimony to his walk within these ways; there has never been just talk.  He has been and continues to be a significant mentor and ceremonial leader in my life, for which I am truly grateful.

This is a sales pitch. This is "testimony" from a member (if not Scott himself) of a destructive high demand cultic group. It is an effort to recruit, police the borders between Scott's perceived us vs them, and to maintain group tension.

Why do I know this? Because I could have written it myself 30 some years ago when I was a member of another high demand cultic group. A fellow member of that group wrote a letter just like this one to the local newpaper in defense of our leaders.

This is all part of the orchestrated dance around a cult leader.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
Its a shame a real shame people are reduced to blindly following a man
In Spirit

Offline Otter3

« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2013, 07:34:40 pm »
Quote from: Julianw on Today at 02:07:29 AM
"I have known and been associated with Chief Phillip Scott for seven years. As a result of my commitment, I have participated in numerous ceremonies. He has taught me the values of an Indigenous Way of Life. Although he can be demanding, I experience him to always exhibit equal respect towards women and men. In fact, when I first met the Chief I was impressed by his clear behavior towards women, and this was one reason that I chose to align with him. Throughout my time, I have felt respected as a woman and I have learned to conduct myself with a greater awareness in my sacred roles as a mother and wife. I’ve never experienced or observed mixed messages in his interactions with women. He consistently displays a true intent and fixed focus upon purification, prayer and community. There has never been a charge for ceremony. The Chief’s tireless devotion and dedication to prayer, healing and service are a testimony to his walk within these ways; there has never been just talk.  He has been and continues to be a significant mentor and ceremonial leader in my life, for which I am truly grateful."

This is a sales pitch. This is "testimony" from a member (if not Scott himself) of a destructive high demand cultic group. It is an effort to recruit, police the borders between Scott's perceived us vs them, and to maintain group tension.

Why do I know this? Because I could have written it myself 30 some years ago when I was a member of another high demand cultic group. A fellow member of that group wrote a letter just like this one to the local newpaper in defense of our leaders.

This is all part of the orchestrated dance around a cult leader.

Epiphany, Strong words!  I agree with you. 

Offline Otter3

« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2013, 07:35:52 pm »
Would someone please explain to me how to set up my posts properly!  Thanks!

Offline Superdog

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2013, 08:57:02 pm »
There has never been a charge for ceremony.

Not true, in fact I linked previously to a site where you can buy tickets for one of his sweats over the internet...and if you feel so inclined, donate a little more....and please don't disrespect our Lakota members by calling him "Chief".  He's not recognized as such in their communities.

Superdog

Autumn

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2013, 04:55:52 am »
Would someone please explain to me how to set up my posts properly!  Thanks!

Press the "Quote" button at the right top of the post you are responding to and type your response after the end bracket.

If you are copying a quote from another website, copy it, and in your message press the button inside your message that looks like a quote (sixth button from the right), and paste your message between the quotes.

Hope that helps.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

Julian is usually a male name, though I suppose it could be female. If not, a pretty clumsy mistake.
Clumsier a mistake was that the IP address shows Indiana, not the Bay Area of CA where Scott operates.

"Julian" or any other of Scott's followers, why don't you talk to us instead of these single drive by postings, robotic endorsements of Scott that all read like they were written by the same person?

There's even the same clumsy mistake of repeating Castaneda's famously meaningless Nuage buzzwords, "intent" and "align."

Epiphany

« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:53 pm »
Awhile back I emailed the Ancestral Voice info address, asking who Scott's Cherokee ancestor is, but the email bounced right back, with an error msg of full inbox on their end.

So, Phillip Scott, who is this ancestor? Since you claim this and build quite a bit of your reputation on this ancestry, the name and life of this ancestor surely is something you are proud of and can easily share.

Your ancestry on your father's side can be pieced together with public records. You have an interesting heritage of screenwriting, film production, acting, and other creative endeavors in your family.

I've not yet found any sign of Cherokee ancestry, where does it come from in your family?

Offline Otter3

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2013, 01:52:37 am »
Autumn, thank you.   :)

Offline Superdog

« Reply #88 on: March 20, 2013, 10:37:34 pm »
An upcoming event in Scott's Indigenous Lifeways meetup. 

http://www.meetup.com/Indigenous-Lifeways-Meetup-Group/events/104525532/
"Wednesday, March 27, 2013

7:30 PM

In honour of Grandmother's fullness, we gather to pray, to release and to celebrate. Through Sacred Native Song, Drum and music, She and the Ancestors are invoked, providing direction and healing for ourselves and our relations. The ceremony, which includes the sharing of a Canunpa Wakan (Sacred Pipe), is conducted in a traditional manner.

Appropriate ceremonial attire is required. A feast follows. There is never a charge though respectful donations are customary and appreciated. Please contact the organizer for further information regarding protocols."

When you're a guest and you're invited to someone's home to sing, pray and eat...it's not customary to then offer them money....for inviting you I guess.  That would be insulting. 

Phillip, please stop misrepresenting what you call traditional manner or protocol.  These are your ways.  Own up to it.

Superdog

Offline Otter3

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2013, 07:42:37 pm »
An upcoming event in Scott's Indigenous Lifeways meetup. 

http://www.meetup.com/Indigenous-Lifeways-Meetup-Group/events/104525532/
"Wednesday, March 27, 2013

7:30 PM

In honour of Grandmother's fullness, we gather to pray, to release and to celebrate. Through Sacred Native Song, Drum and music, She and the Ancestors are invoked, providing direction and healing for ourselves and our relations. The ceremony, which includes the sharing of a Canunpa Wakan (Sacred Pipe), is conducted in a traditional manner.

Appropriate ceremonial attire is required. A feast follows. There is never a charge though respectful donations are customary and appreciated. Please contact the organizer for further information regarding protocols."

When you're a guest and you're invited to someone's home to sing, pray and eat...it's not customary to then offer them money....for inviting you I guess.  That would be insulting. 

Phillip, please stop misrepresenting what you call traditional manner or protocol.  These are your ways.  Own up to it.

Superdog

I agree with you, Superdog.  There is always a request for donations.  Phillip never does this himself; someone else asks, as if this makes it okay.
Of course this isn't traditional, since none of the followers are Native Americans, asking for donations to offset costs seems reasonable.  Besides, it's part of how he makes his living.  By the way, the donation basket at his home is placed on top of a toy stuffed white buffalo.   :-[