Author Topic: Warfield Moose, Jr.  (Read 56387 times)

Jonathan

Warfield Moose, Jr.
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:18 pm »

Hi all,

A friend of mine will not stop raving about Lakota ceremonies that he has attended, and has been aggressively recruiting me to participate. I couldn't help but notice a lot of red flags in my friend's description of the ceremonies:

--The fee for the ceremony was $100 per person.
--My friend was encouraged to recruit more participants, and was rewarded (free hotel rooms, etc.) for bringing more people to the ceremonies.
--The ceremonies take place in *total* darkness. The room is completely blacked-out and duct-taped off, so that there is no visible light whatsoever. The door is locked.
--Everyone is required to surrender their cell phones prior to the ceremony.
--My friend reported some unusual occurrences in the darkness, which he attributed to "spirits". For example, his beard was tugged on, and a can of soda was pressed into his hand. Most disturbingly, he said that could hear the pitter-patter of tiny footsteps, and that he was told that this was his infant daughter's spirit running around the room.

The ceremonies are led by a man named "Warfield Moose". I Googled for clues, but wasn't able to find very much. Admittedly, I don't know much about Native American traditions or history, although I know enough to know that pop-culture depictions are most likely false.

Can anyone here give me any additional information on Warfield Moose, or these types of ceremonies? Also, what's the advised method for educating my friend, and if he has a genuine interest in Native American culture, what legitimate resources should I steer him towards?

Thanks.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: Warfield Moose healing ceremony
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 04:45:08 pm »
1. no one pays for ceremonies
2. you can not recruit anyone for our ceremonies
3. This sounds like a fraud
In Spirit

Offline nemesis

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:27 pm »
So many aspects of your friends account ring alarm bells

I found this to be especially cause for concern

--My friend reported some unusual occurrences in the darkness, which he attributed to "spirits". For example, his beard was tugged on, and a can of soda was pressed into his hand. Most disturbingly, he said that could hear the pitter-patter of tiny footsteps, and that he was told that this was his infant daughter's spirit running around the room.

as it suggests a scenario where a predatory con-man is cynically preying on a bereaved parent who has endured the agony of losing a child.

The modus operandi of this particular fraud sounds more like a Victorian parlour medium than anything to do with even fake native ceremonies.  

Also, what earthw7 said.  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:00:23 pm by nemesis »

Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:45 pm »
Thanks for the perspective. I should clarify that the child is living (not sure what was even meant by "spirit"?); the red flag for me was the manner in which she had been incorporated into the narrative.

I raised the issue of the $100 fee with my friend, and it seemed like it had been explained to him largely as "travel costs".

Offline Superdog

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
While agree that the $100 fee is wrong and the focus on recruitment is disturbing as well, there's a lot of info out about Warfield Moose Jr.

He's from the Porcupine community in Pine Ridge.  Here's a few links and his bio.  I'm gonna reserve comment because I feel the need to know more from community members and what they think of him.  I've also yet to see that he is advertising ceremonies for sale so I'm doing my best to be objective here.  Not calling you a liar Jonathan ;)

Here's his website:

http://www.warfieldmoose.com/

His bio:

Bio

Warfield Moose Jr. is an Oglala Lakota from Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. He grew up in the small community of Porcupine and was raised in a traditional Lakota way by his parents, Warfield Sr. and Norma Moose, and by his grandparents on both sides of the family who played a major role in his upbringing. Warfield attributes much of his life philosophy and spiritual grounding to the way in which he was raised. Warfield experienced life through the actions of his closest relations who were humble people. The family spoke only Lakota in the home and Warfield did not begin to learn English until he attended school. His family taught him the history and culture of the Lakota; and honored the traditions of the relatives who went before them. Warfield enjoyed time spent with both sets of his grandparents. His grandparents Charlie and Martha (Kills In Water) Moose lived in Wounded Knee where Charlie was an Episcopal priest who also maintained the traditional ways and was a representative on the Council of Elders for the Oglala Sioux Tribe and a member of the Pes La Oyate (baldheaded clan). Martha was a Wakan Oyate (of the sacred people). Wilbur Locke and Frances (Shorthorn) Locke resided in Porcupine and Wilbur was a member of the Knife Chief Community. Warfield attributes his greatest life teachings to his parents, Warfield Moose, Sr. and Norma Moose. As a classroom teacher for over 25 years, Warfield Sr. was greatly respected by his students and a captivating teacher in the classroom. Warfield Sr. was one of the first individuals in the state of South Dakota to be honored with the South Dakota Indian Education Award for Distinguished Service. Warfield's father taught the Lakota language, history and culture - but his son remembers his father's teachings not only from the classroom - but from how he lived his life. His mother Norma still works as a classroom teacher at the Pine Ridge School where she has worked for over 30 years. At the age of 18, Warfield Jr. followed in his parents' footsteps and became a Lakota language instructor. He accepted the position at the time when interest in the Lakota language, history and culture was at an all-time low for Native Americans. However, with the encouragement and support of his family - Warfield Jr. thrived in the teaching environment, first by teaching Kindergarten through eighth grade for five years, then instructing high school students in history, language and culture. It was 1978 when Warfield Jr. first met the respected Lakota Yuwipi healer, Dawson Has No Horse and through him experienced the powerful healing of the traditional ways. Warfield's father was suffering from a serious nose bleed and bleeding internally; a condition that Western doctors had failed to diagnose or treat. Charlie Moose, the Episcopal priest and father of Warfield Sr., made a decision to seek traditional healing to cure his son. Although Warfield Jr. was very young, he recognized the gravity of the situation and accompanied his father and grandfather to meet Dawson. Dawson was a highly regarded healer in the community - and his name was spoken with great reverence and respect. They arrived unannounced at Dawson's home at 1:30 a.m., and the medicine man was awake with the lights on and waiting expectantly -- seemingly knowing they would come. Warfield Jr. knew Dawson's name but did not understand his power until he entered his home on that evening with his sick father and felt the warmth, comfort and welcoming of Dawson and his wife Emily. Dawson looked over Warfield Sr. and instructed Emily to go outside and gather three medicines to cure him. Dawson explained that she would know which medicines to pick because they would glow and reveal themselves to her. Emily returned, and the first medicine Dawson tried was a root that he ground into a powder. The second medicine was a leafy plant, and when it did not stop the bleeding, Dawson warned them that if the last medicine did not work, he would not be able to help Warfield Sr. The last medicine was a bundle of sage. Dawson broke off the soft leaves of sage from the branch, and formed a compress which finally stopped the bleeding. After much distress, the grandfather, father and son broke into tears of relief, joy and gratitude when the bleeding had stopped. They offered Dawson their thanks and asked him how they could support him. He responded simply, "From this day forward, you should always respect yourselves and the people. Respect traditional healing -- but also respect the many different ways in which we all pray. Everything we do and say in life has meaning. Each of us throws our words out into the world -- but they all come back together eventually." It was a lesson remembered, and Warfield's family began to actively attend ceremonies and support Dawson's work helping the people. One evening in a ceremony, Dawson spoke through the spirits to the Moose family and to the one hundred people who had gathered for the Yuwipi ceremony. He foretold that young Warfield Jr., seated in the room, would one day choose between becoming an artist or powerful medicine man. The possibility of Warfield becoming a medicine man was disconcerting to the young boy and his family, because they had witnessed first-hand the suffering Dawson endured. But Dawson quieted their fears and counseled Warfield's family to allow the young Warfield to enjoy his life until such time as the dream or true calling appeared. Dawson's impact on Warfield Jr's life was great. It was a great loss to him when Dawson died in 1982, and he experienced grief and loss like none other he had felt. Warfield has yet to meet anyone who instills in him the same feelings of safety, humility, openness and kindness that he learned in the presence of the great Yuwipi man, Dawson Has No Horse. The mid-80's brought about two occurrences which shaped the rest of Warfield Jr's life. The first was the diagnosis of his father with incurable cancer in 1985 and the second was the dream. When Warfield Jr. was only 12 years old, he dreamed he was sitting on a hill and praying when a man appeared to him in the form of lightening and with a voice of thunder. The man spoke to Warfield and told him that they would be friends; and that this man had a job for Warfield. In 1983, he asked a medicine man named Pete Catches to put him on the hill for his first vision quest. Pete was reluctant to allow the young Warfield to undertake the vision quest, but agreed to speak with him about his intentions. Warfield spoke to Pete of his dream and explained what he sought. Recognizing the sincerity and truth in young Warfield's dream and reason for pursuing a vision quest, Pete agreed to help him. He explained to Warfield Jr. and his father that when a dream comes directly from the spirits - there is no need to interpret it. This dream would show itself over time and reveal itself to Warfield as he lived his life. He counseled him not to struggle with the dream - or he would live his life struggling. Instead, he encouraged Warfield to embrace the dream and where it would take him. At Warfield's first Yuwipi ceremony - it was his father who tied him up. Warfield knew, simply by looking into his father's eyes that night, that for Warfield Sr., seeing his son undertake the sacred Yuwipi provided him with sense of completion in his life. It was in this first ceremony that the spirits told Warfield that if his dream was to be a part of him that he should always tell the truth. Warfield committed to the spirits that night to not take drugs and alcohol so long as they would come and help him. Although the long and painful illness of Warfield Sr. was heartbreaking for Warfield and left him with permanent sadness when his father died on May 16, 1996, he never questioned why his father got sick but instead recognized how going through the disease with his dad made him a stronger and more compassionate person -- and more determined than ever to help others. It provided him with empathy for people dealing with life threatening illness and helped him realize that this part of his journey had been laid out for a reason. His father's struggle helped Warfield to better understand God - and that though life experiences he was offered choices: to love or hate; trust or mistrust. After his father passed away, Warfield put another of his talents to use and had already begun traveling to Sundances and Yuwipis to sing for ceremonies. Over the course of several years, Warfield sang for 11 different medicine men and learned about each of their deep commitment to the sacred traditions and the sacrifices they made in their lives to help the people. Warfield was taught by these men the ancient ceremony songs that have been passed down through the generations by the Lakota people. Warfield was a teacher when he first met Shilo Clifford who was a grade school student at the time. As a young student Shilo was sincere, enthusiastic and always expressed his willingness to help. Warfield recognized in Shilo the same level of serious commitment to the ceremonies and the traditional way of life that he had. In 1992 Warfield and Shilo went through the Hunka ceremony - a ceremony held in high regard by the Lakota people. The Hunka, or making of relatives ceremony, was traditionally performed as a way for Lakota people to provide comfort or support to those in need of it. To the Lakota, there is no such thing as an orphan and the Hunka ceremony is a commitment to become like a close relative. The son of Dawson, Sidney Has No Horse, performed the making-of-a-relative ceremony for Warfield and Shilo. At the ceremony he told the young men, "From this day forward you are not just hunka brothers - you are blood brothers. You will go through hard times and good times together - but you should always still help each other because you are connected for the rest of your life." Shilo's role in the ceremonies is significant, and as both a singer and helper to Warfield, he plays a vital role. Warfield and Shilo have helped tribes from across the US and Canada with healing ceremonies and have worked to revive the Sundance ceremonies for many tribal people. Warfield began running Sundance ceremonies in 1996 on the Blood reserve for the Blackfeet tribe. After his father illness and passing, he committed to holding a Sundance in his honor - and has done so for the last 10 years. Warfield and Shilo have traveled around the world to perform ceremonies in Italy, Canada and Switzerland, and Warfield presided over the opening of the Lakota Embassy in Florence Italy. In 2002, Warfield won a Nammy in the best historical recording category for "Ben Black Elk Speaks." Warfield currently runs four Sundances annually: the LeTendre Family Sundance for the Alexis Nakota Sioux, an Omaha Tribe Sundance on the reservation in Macy, Nebraska , the American Indian Movement Sundance in Pipestone, Minnesota and his own Sundance which honors the legacy of his father. He is currently archiving and restoring other historical Lakota teachings and working on a documentary and material for a new audio recording.

----------------------------------

To be fair, I don't see any fees associated or asking for money.  However he does seem to be booked for "cultural gatherings" in NJ, Buffalo NY, Santa Fe NM.....but there isn't anything that elaborates on that other than these are not the sundances he runs.  Other than the personal account from Jonathan I'm not finding a whole lot that is that disturbing.  There's a good chance the organizers of this event are behind the fees and recruitment policies, but definitely not enough info about all that yet. 

I would definitely like to see more info from his community members as his myspace music page contents lots of comments in the comments section from family members and other NDNs giving him a lot of compliments or just in general talking in a normal way back and forth...not a whole lot of metaphorical bowing and kneeling that is seen with new age groups.

Superdog

Offline Superdog

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 08:16:02 pm »
Ok here's a little more.  Nothing solid, but this is a facebook page advertising a Yuwipi ceremony organized by two academics in Laguna Beach, CA, Dr. Steven Farmer, and "Green" author Chris Prelitz.  Warfield is listed as the person running it, but the web page and the info on it is the creation of Farmer so I don't attribute anything written here to Warfield other than the mention of his name.

--------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118243314878925&index=1

"The Yuwipi ceremony is used for healing, divining, and for finding lost persons or objects. A medicine man who performs this nighttime ritual builds a special altar on the floor of a house and allows the spectators to tie his hands securely behind his back, then wrap him head to foot in a thick blanket so that he is entirely covered like a mummy. Ropes are tied around the blanket to hold it in place. He is then laid out full len...gth on the altar, while the other participants sit in a tightly packed circle around him and hold hands so they will know if anyone moves.

The lights are extinguished, and the medicine man prays audibly so that everyone can hear him. After a specified period of time, the lights are turned on, and without anyone having helped him, the Yuwipi man will be sitting there free of his bindings, with the blanket neatly folded beside him and his hands folded in his lap. He never reveals how he does this, and when asked always claims that the spirits come and release him.

During the time he remains wrapped and in the dark, the medicine man may pray for help in determining the cause of an illness he has been asked to cure, and in learning the roots or herbs that will heal it. Or, if he has been asked to find a lost object or person, he will pray for guidance regarding that. Surprising results are common, and there are many testimonies to the truth of this, including those given by non-Indians who have participated and been helped in amazing ways. ~“Secret Native American Pathways” by Thomas E. Mails

Dr. Steven Farmer, and "Green" author Chris Prelitz will be hosting this sacred ceremony. Lakota Medicine Man Warfield Moose will be leading this profound healing experience. Because this ceremony is so sacred it is important to prepare for it in a way that honors the Spirits who will be helping all those participating to heal and to honor the medicine man, his sacrfice and the Lakota culture.

This event will take place at a private residence in Laguna Beach. For details please call 1-866-621-0516 or email info@drstevenfarmer.com. Due to the preparation necessary, pre-registration is required. Upon registration, sacred instructions will be sent to you in order to begin this powerful healing process."

---------------------------------------------------------

The "registration" and "sacred instructions" leave questions for me.

The person that seems responsible for the questionable activities talked about by Jonathan seems to be Dr. Farmer.  I'm guessing here, but something about his facebook page leads me in that direction.  Warfield seems to have gotten in close with some New Age authors.  Here's Farmers page:

--------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118243314878925&index=1#!/pages/Dr-Steven-Farmer/93018852583?sk=info

"Dr. Steven Farmer is the author of several best-selling products including Earth Magic, Animal Spirit Guides, Power Animal Oracle Cards, Messages from Your Animal Spirit Guides Oracle Cards, Power Animals, Sacred Ceremony, Messages from Your Animal Spirit Guides guided meditation CD and Earth Magic Oracle Cards. Dr. Farmer is a Soul Healer, shamanic practitioner, licensed psychotherapist, ordained minister, hypnotherapist, and former college professor. He offers workshops and presentations on Soul Healing and other Earth centered spirituality topics. He also offers private Earth Magic Healing sessions in person and by telephone, and is host of Earth Magic Radio every Thursday, 4-5PM PST on ContactTalkRadio.com. Dr. Farmer makes his home in Laguna Beach, California with his wife, Jesseca and her two children Serena and Arianna. For further information, go to www.EarthMagic.net."
--------------------------------

A whole slew of new age shamanic products coming from this guy.  The EarthMagic site is more of the same and mirrors as Drstevenfarmer.com when you go to it.

http://www.drstevenfarmer.com/

Superdog
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:26:25 pm by Superdog »

ValSu

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 08:38:22 pm »
Found something on him. It is this, the second to last paragraph on first page: IN BOLD

"Ohlone leader Charlene Sul is currently working with The Art Ranch to create The Art Ranch Ohlone Black Bear Village in Northern California, slated for 2010. Recently Laurie met Warfield Moose, a Lakota Medicine Man, whose dedication to his path will have a significant effect on The Art Ranch and it’s future programs. Through this union The Pine Ridge Sustainable Project is being developed for Lakota children and families. First phase is scheduled for Summer, 2010."

Note the name, "Recently Laurie met Warfield Moose, a Lakota Medicine Man"

Found this here:
http://www.theartranch.net/nativeamerican.htm

Never heard of this so do not know anything about this at all.

ValSu

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
Just found another site with mention of Warfield Moose mentioned (not sure if same person or just another with same name)? Anyway, this part with name posted near bottom of page,

"We have been privileged to have had John “Many Voices” Armbruster pour as well as Dan Wenglarz, who supervised the Lodge's construction. Warfield Moose, the last Lakota Medicine person to perform ceremony in this Lodge, the third Lodge since 1996."

And found on this site:
http://www.marileeasnyder.com/Healing_Lodges/

Although, looks like the lodge was taken down/apart and maybe rebuilt?
Last part of what is shared on the page"

"This Lodge was retired in a good way on Saturday, October 31, 2009 by burning all of the Lodge poles in Sacred Ceremony after four plus years of Service.

We honored the Lodge, The Lodge Keepers and the Healing that was done by the individuals participating in the Lodge.

On November 2, 2009 we spread apples from our trees where the Lodge had been to honor and feed the Spirits and the animals in the forest.

When Creator/Source deems it appropriate, another Lodge will be constructed in a Sacred way after the Vernal Equinox."
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:44:32 pm by ValSu »

ValSu

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 08:45:20 pm »
Maybe others making money I have had just a bit of time to read quickly through so not sure if fees. Donations mentioned but will read more thoroughly later.

Offline AnnOminous

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 09:19:38 pm »
I've been wondering when this name would come up.  I predict a swift move of this thread to a different category.
Watch out for this one.  The Warfield and Shilo Show has been operating under the radar for far too long.

Offline nemesis

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 07:48:22 am »
according to this FB page

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5013268478

The Doreen Virtue and Steven Farmer Appreciation Group

Check out Hayhouseradio.com to listen to Doreen Virtue and Steven Farmer's weekly shows -- you may even call to speak with them LIVE.

and according to this interesting blog, Steven Palmer is married to Doreen Virtue , of "Angle therapy" notoriety
http://www.broowaha.com/articles/1099/doreen-virtue-angel-therapy-or-a-frauds-mental-illness

and according to the skeptic's dictionary

Doctor Farmer got his Ph.D. from Madison University, a non-accredited distance learning university located in Gulfport, Mississippi.

http://www.skepdic.com/angeltherapy.html

Maybe, as a plastic shaman, Steven Farmer deserves his own thread?

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent, just thought that it might be worth checking out some of the people that Warfield Moose is associated with. 

Offline snorks

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
I am familiar with these two.  They are solidly New Age.  Farmer is core-shamanism and animal totems.  Virtue is of the Hay House.  She did the indigo children etc. - walk ins

Offline Cetan

• Hoka Hey
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 02:37:15 pm »
While I personally have never met Warfield Moose his name is known to me, I know people who have been to his Yuwipi ceremonies and said they are powerful. He did give a Yuwipi altar to a kola of mine from Rosebud. Yuwipi ceremonies are done in total darkness and it is not unusual to hear, see and feel spirits. However charging for ceremony is wrong. I dont know the circumstances but sometimes I have heard of a well meaning wasicu bringing a person in to do a ceremony and asking the participants to donate x amount to cover travel and donations and this is done without the knowledge of the person running the ceremony.

Offline Porcupine2013

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:58 pm »
I know Warfield Moose Jr.  and his mother..he forgot to mention that he also has a sister and she has 5 children. Norma Moose and Warfield disowned her and she is on her own married and has a great family. The thing I seen when I met him was he isn't that humble person when he says in the ceremonies "Take care if each other, love each other." but yet he can't do that with his OWN family! He is doing this to get the money he uses for eating ,movies and caring care of his girlfriend!!

Offline AnnOminous

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 03:47:59 am »
His girlfriend(s)?  Would those be the ones who flick the empty bic lighters and wear night vision goggles during yuwipi ceremonies to try to fool the people into believing he has called in the spirits?  Just sayin.