Author Topic: Pretty Off Topic- Blog Advice  (Read 6522 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Pretty Off Topic- Blog Advice
« on: September 14, 2006, 06:59:56 pm »
I'm thinking of starting a blog, not devoted to the Nuage fraud issue, but slightly related. The main benefit would of course be the lack of cost.

But I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with these type of sites. Can they be easily pulled by lawsuits threats, like kept happening to NAFPS with yahoo? Any other downsides?

Also, I'd want to choose a domain name and redirect traffic from that name to the blog. Anyone have the tech knowhow for that?

Offline AlaskaGrl

Re: Pretty Off Topic- Blog Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 08:30:13 pm »
But I wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with these type of sites. Can they be easily pulled by lawsuits threats, like kept happening to NAFPS with yahoo? Any other downsides?

Also, I'd want to choose a domain name and redirect traffic from that name to the blog. Anyone have the tech knowhow for that?

Regarding legal issues
I'd defer to your legal counsel... ? internet laws are still vague regarding these issues.

I have no formal web training, I have come about things the hard way - trial and error and every error a trial I always say...   When you get a Domain name, depending on the company you go with (Geocities/Yahoo handles my stuff) you may get a free re-direct service with it that will re-direct your old site visitors to the new site. ? For instance my old site for yrs was EEEEEEE ?  When I finally went with XXXXXX ?  I had the ability ? to redirect my traffic from the old site to my new site rather seamlessley in one step for "free." ?

When you register with a company, I suggest network Solutions, ? http://www.networksolutions.com/home.jsp?layoutIdIndex=0 ?  ?  ?  ? ask them about their re-direct service. ? You can also sign up to have your personal info, such as your name and address, phone etc... witheld from people who do occasional "Whois" lookups on Internic ?  ?  ?  http://www.internic.com/whois.html
I admit I do alot of "whois" poking around...

There are independant sites online that will re-direct you but I have no experience with those in terms of reliability. ? Perhaps someone else can suggest ones they have used. ? I suggest asking through your domain provider and having them handle it in one place. ?

What about just placing the Blog link on this site? ?
From the front page visitors could go to the blog. ? You could, on the mast of that page state its purpose and what belongs there content wise. ? Of course the more pages and internal links here the more there is for the bots to pick up and archive for future Google  searches. ? And it keeps things neat and tidy - not in several places online.

?  :)

Lindaa

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 12:00:00 am by AstronomyGal »