Author Topic: Non-appropriative transgender/genderqueer friendly spirituality  (Read 10974 times)

Offline mmmChocolate

Non-appropriative transgender/genderqueer friendly spirituality
« on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:44 pm »
Pretty sure I'm not the only person who originally looked into NDN spiritualities having heard they're more trans* friendly than the ones I grew up with. So - in a similar way to this thread , but specifically aimed at trans* people-  here is an unfinished list of good sources for non-new age transgender-friendly spirituality.

Please add to it  :)

Quaker
Queer quakers 
Peterson Toscano interview - a queer quaker response to climate change

Christianity

Welcoming denominations:
Metropolitan community churches
Find an LGBT friendly church (UK specific)

Books / resources

Justin Tannis: Trans-Gendered: Theology, Ministry, and Communities of Faith
A trans man who is a a pastor. The first half is a trans 101 for cisgendered people, the second half is really interesting as he develops a theology of what it means to be transgender.

Blogs etc   
Shannon Kearns a transgendered priest    some theology, some trans 101 stuff etc

Transfigurations - transgender characters in the bible

Queer theology lots of resources 

Jewish
Organisations
Keshet – LGBT Jewish organisation  Has a list of resources
Transtorah
Nehirim

Books/ resources

Joy Ladin: Through the Door of Life: A Jewish Journey Between Genders
by Joy Ladin

Muslim

Uk-based LGBT Muslim support group

Definitions for anyone unfamiliar with them:

Cisgender is a term we use for anyone who's not transgendered
LGBT / LGBTQ - lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender/trans*, queer/questionning
Trans*  - broad umbrella term for transgender identities including non-binary gender identities
Queer - as reclaimed language this is used as an inclusive term to mean gender and sexual minorities - basically anything other than hetrosexual and cisgender. This includes lesbian/gay/bi/trans and also asexual, pansexual, genderqueer etc (not a comprehensive list).

Edited to fix link
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:36:43 pm by mmmChocolate »

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
Re: Non-appropriative transgender/genderqueer friendly spirituality
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 01:40:10 am »
Also noting that, while it is a modern term adopted in a pan-NDN way in recent decades, "Two Spirit" is a name by and for NDNs. There have been attempts by non-Natives to misappropriate the term, but it belongs to NDNs.

Offline Shasta RB

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 07:25:06 am »
Also noting that, while it is a modern term adopted in a pan-NDN way in recent decades, "Two Spirit" is a name by and for NDNs. There have been attempts by non-Natives to misappropriate the term, but it belongs to NDNs.

is there any way to support this statement? Im would like further clarification, i was always under the assumption that the term "Two - Spirit" was not a name from and by NDNs, and was certain it was manufactured by the non-native community to again, exploit natives. Some clarification would be most appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:24:20 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 03:26:56 pm »
 http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/03/11/facebooks-two-spirit-gender-id-term-positive-step-lgbt-natives-153959

Regarding the new Facebook gender-naming policy, which now includes "Two Spirit" as an option:

"While many are happy with the changes, there is some concern regarding appropriation of the term Two Spirit by non-Indigenous people. ... Two Spirit is the hybrid of sexuality/gender and culture - that culture being First Nations. If non-Native/First Nations/Indigenous people were to use the term, this would be a form of colonialism once again. It isn't theirs to take.”

And lots of resources at NativeOut: http://nativeout.com/twospirit-rc/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:04:12 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline Shasta RB

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:53 pm »
Thank you,  although im still not sure that story about labels available in Facebook, nor do simple quotes from other folks that might also be misinformed offer me credibility that the 2-spirit term came form natives themselves.

I was looking for a more academic credible source.

Again, do you know anywhere that exists documentation of the term being something that first nations/ native peoples created the term themselves, being originally from native people? 

I am almost positive that the term still originates from a colonial mindset. produced by non-natives and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:04:35 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 05:36:47 pm »
Thank you,  although im still not sure that story about labels available in Facebook, nor do simple quotes from other folks that might also be misinformed offer me credibility that the 2-spirit term came form natives themselves.

Again, do you know anywhere that exists documentation of the term being something that first nations/ native peoples created the term themselves, being originally from native people? 

I am almost positive that the term still originates from a colonial mindset. produced by non-natives and not the other way around.

Did you read the history section on NativeOut?

Native people have the right to choose their own terminology, and I'm rather taken aback that you don't consider Native sources themselves "credible."

If you had read the history links on NativeOut you would see that while there has been discussion in academia, like most NDN issues, the academics are usually not NDN, and therefore not the experts.

If you research the field by listening to Native Elders, and Elders in the Two Spirit and related communities, you will find that the tribes and bands have historically had their own terminology, in their own languages. I don't know which individual first proposed "Two Spirit" as a pan-Indian term, but it is one that has been adopted by Native communities themselves.

What is your source that says it was created by non-Natives?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:04:57 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 05:42:42 pm »
Queer - as reclaimed language this is used as an inclusive term to mean gender and sexual minorities - basically anything other than hetrosexual and cisgender. This includes lesbian/gay/bi/trans and also asexual, pansexual, genderqueer etc (not a comprehensive list).

Historical note: in the '80s - '00s, "Queer" was reclaimed specifically by LGBT people, for use by LGBT people. The recent use of it by heterosexuals involved in the fetish and polyamory communities is, well, recent. Given this appropriation by non-LGBT people, a lot of us who formed organizations in earlier decades with the word "Queer" in them (such as Queer Nation) no longer use the term.

eta: changed '90s to '80s. I was pre-caffeine. We had small groups using it at least as early as the '70s, but it didn't go mainstream till the '90s.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:05:12 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline Shasta RB

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 04:05:38 am »
For the record i did not say native sources arent credible, please do not filter out parts of what i said, What i did say was that giving me sources (from a news article) of people being quoted doesnt count as enough credibility for me, with the understanding that the person being quoted might also be misinformed about the origin of the term.....

Its ok if you are taken aback, that is my point exactly which even you confirmed, you even said yourself you dont know which individual first started using the term 2-spirit as a pan-indian term and that it has been adopted by native communities....again, i am almost positive the term does not originate from Native people, maybe adopted by what i would call Newage pan-native folks, which i would argue is again coming from a colonial mindset.

I would argue that rather than use the term, people who identify as native should learn the terminology of their respective ancestors, and to use the what you identify is a pan-indian term, again i would argue just perpetuates the same colonial mindset that deteriorates at our individual cultures.

Offline Shasta RB

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:04 am »

Did you read the history section on NativeOut?

Native people have the right to choose their own terminology, and I'm rather taken aback that you don't consider Native sources themselves "credible."

If you had read the history links on NativeOut you would see that while there has been discussion in academia, like most NDN issues, the academics are usually not NDN, and therefore not the experts.

If you research the field by listening to Native Elders, and Elders in the Two Spirit and related communities, you will find that the tribes and bands have historically had their own terminology, in their own languages. I don't know which individual first proposed "Two Spirit" as a pan-Indian term, but it is one that has been adopted by Native communities themselves.

What is your source that says it was created by non-Natives?

And I did see the Native Out "Historical" page which i would argue is not credible. it refers to Will Roscoe's website and books which lead to Harry Hay in which i have done years of research on and seems to be the origin of manufacturing the term "2-Spirit"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:06:38 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 03:50:04 pm »
 ;D anyone care for my opinion ;D
we call transgener people "Winkta" from the Lakota Language
We starting hearing two spirit in the last 20 years now where it came from
i dont know.
I grew up with Winkta as my family and friend i never knew there was a big
deal about being winkta until i started hearing about non native people making a big deal
about it. My grandma told me each person is born with a gift and winkta were born with a gift
so to me i just dont understand what is the big deal. What other cultures do seem strange to me at times.
In Spirit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:49 pm »
Thank you, Earth.    :)

Offline Shasta RB

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 04:02:18 am »
;D anyone care for my opinion ;D
we call transgener people "Winkta" from the Lakota Language
We starting hearing two spirit in the last 20 years now where it came from
i dont know.
I grew up with Winkta as my family and friend i never knew there was a big
deal about being winkta until i started hearing about non native people making a big deal
about it. My grandma told me each person is born with a gift and winkta were born with a gift
so to me i just dont understand what is the big deal. What other cultures do seem strange to me at times.

Awesome, thats what im talking about. My initial questions was to ask if there is any proof that the term "2-spirit" came from us natives because the point was made that it did and i argue that it does not, and that it is a term that comes from a colonized perspective, a term that natives did not create, but more so came from the Newage community which is what this entire forum is about. to expose and stop newage terminology and philosophy from seeping into our respective traditions, so with what you state eart, i ask to anyone reading this post,  is there any proof or evidence to show that the term 2-spirit came from and was derived from native communities?

And if so then where did it start? This type of ability to research this is important and i hope readers do not take it lightly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:07:25 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline Leilehua

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
For Kanaka Maoli (Native Hawaiians), the term is "mahu*." The specifics of defining mahu seem to vary a bit within various Maoli communities. The Pukui and Elbert dictionary says mahu are homosexuals of either gender, and hermaphrodites.

I was taught that mahu is more descriptive of the physical body than of the spirit or heart. That there are not clear-cut differences between male and female. It is more of an ombré. Mahu would be those people in the center of the band, expressing characteristics of both male and female.

Bonds of emotion and affection are in a different category.

I THINK that the inclusion of a broader concept of homosexuality is more modern usage than applying the term primarily to spectrum-center people, but I have not done the etymological research to confirm that.

But there are teachers in the Maoli community equally credible to mine who have a different take.

Malama,
Leilehua

* I have edited the word "mahu" with underlines to show the positions of the Hawaiian diacriticals. Where I have an underline, the letter should have a kahako (macron), which indicates that the vowel is extended. If we were to clap the rhythm of the word, "mahu" would be a two-beat word. Mahu would be a four-beat word.  Couldn't figure out how to put in the macron.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:30:22 pm by hapawoman »

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »
Thank you, Leilehua.

Shasta, I actually agree with you completely that it's a priority to preserve, and continue to use, the terms each culture has, in their own languages.  However if a multi-Nation Native group also adopts a modern term as a way of uniting across tribal lines, it's not my call as to whether they get to do that. 

I certainly hope people's adoption of pan-NDN terms for those purposes doesn't lead to the erasure or forgetting of the traditional terminology and concepts, but aside from continuing to speak up about language and cultural preservation, I'm not going to tell a Native group how to self-identify.

Harry Hay is definitely to blame for a great deal of misappropriation and misrepresentation of Native religions and cultures. If he, or someone like him, originated the term, I agree with you that needs to be uncovered, discussed and acted upon. I haven't seen evidence that he originated it, but I haven't read every work by or about him. I did find that he made claims that I found dubious, so even if he claimed to have originated it, I'd want to see proof that he didn't just steal that, too.

Peace.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:07:47 pm by NAFPS Housekeeping »

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 06:17:40 pm »
Interestingly, I just got the latest copy of "Native Peoples" (Magazine) and there is an article "Two Spirit The story of a movement unfolds" by Zachary Pullen (Chippewa Cree) who says that the term two spirit stems from an Ojibwe phrase "niizh manidoowag."  Th article is not online, so anyone interested would need to buy the magazine to read it.