Author Topic: Language  (Read 13445 times)

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
Language
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:53:00 pm »
Perhaps someone here can clear up the meanings, use and misunderstandings about some phrases that seem to be bandied about all over the place, even tied in together within a single post, but I understand that some are not even the same language.  

To my understanding the following are Lakota??  

Mitakuye oyasin----"Lakota Sioux for All My Relations"

Lakota phrase, Mitakuye Oyasin, meaning "We are all related,"

the way of Mitakuye Oyasin, a prayer for all my relations.

Osiyo?  a greeting??

Aho?    a greeting??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

and the following are Cherokee??

Wado- means "thank you". Wadoequais a "great thank you".

Donadagohvi means something like "see you later or until we meet again", when speaking to one person.

Dodadagohvi is the same except when speaking to several people at one time.

Wado, Dodadagohvi

Awanisgi, dohiyi dodadagohvi

Wado ale dodadagohvi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you.  
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

walking-soft

Re: Language
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 01:04:33 am »
I can answer some of

your question on the Cherokee and while I know a little Lakota I would rather someone else speak that.

Oginali> my friend
Osiyo> hello
Wado> thank you or so be it
do-'da-ga-g'hv-i> until we see each other again ..there is no word for good bye

I am not familiar with the other Cherokee words you used.
I hope this helps.

Offline debbieredbear

• Global Moderator
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 04:58:29 am »
Somewhere, I think on this site, there was a translation for Mitakuye oyasin. It means "All my relations..." As in, all my relations are __. Or I do this for all my relations. It does not, and never has, mean "We are all related" as the newage twinkies like to say.

Aho is used at the end of something. Like when you make a prayer or a speech You finish by sying "aho." Kind of like saying "It is finished."

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 05:09:55 pm »
This is from our late friend and longtime NAFPS member, Mike Two Horses, a Lakota professor at a university in Virginia.

http://users.pandora.be/gohiyuhi/nafps/articles/art04.htm

I'm not anywhere near being a fluent Lakota speaker, know maybe a few dozen words. But it's my understanding that the phrase, when used as Mike describes, is meant for use at certain times. You don't use it saying Hello or "Cool man!" the way Nuagers use it.

The Cherokee phrases are often used by non Cherokee in settings like a powwow, by the MC for example.

walking-soft

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 06:49:41 pm »
That is so true about the Cherokee words they are often heard at pow wow by all types of people including the MC I suppose because they are simple to learn, I remember that Jerry Edwards used these terms ,I'm sure he thought it gave him some creditability. I guess some think that if they can say a Cherokee "word" that makes them more cherokee hey??? A lot of new agers use all kinds of Native words out of context. They need to learn that just saying a word a American Indian  it does not make. My ears always perk up when someone starts by saying osiyo, it is good thing to speak your language but it needs to be from the heart and again with good intentions not for ones own purpose and personal gain... as many of the frauds and fake "chiefs" are doing.

Dianne Harris

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 02:12:59 am »
Quote:"That is so true about the Cherokee words they are often heard at pow wow by all types of people "

Yes,  like the term "Chuluaqui Quodoushka"?

What does that translate to?  

Joseph

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 11:31:36 am »
You can say Osiyo for "hello" and Siyo is like saying "hi."

There are many forms of saying "goodbye", depending on who you are saying goodbye to, and how many you are saying goodbye to. Donadagvhvi is saying goodbye to two or more. Dodadagvhvi is saying goodbye to just one.

All  the Cherokee I know when we say goodbye just say donada.

Wado is thank you but you do  not build up[on this root word to create different forms of thank you. There are other expressions used.

Joseph

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 01:18:56 pm »
however it is amusing to hear someone who claims one tribe and then use words from another. i'm always torn...do i correct them or not? geez i hate to be the one to help them tweak their scam to better fool people eh.
usually i do not bother as it is like wearing a sign to those who know, that says "fake".

Le Weaponnier

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 12:02:55 am »
however it is amusing to hear someone who claims one tribe and then use words from another. i'm always torn...do i correct them or not? geez i hate to be the one to help them tweak their scam to better fool people eh.
usually i do not bother as it is like wearing a sign to those who know, that says "fake".

Why not have the most fun you can?
Deliberately teach them either nonsense words or incorrect words so that they will seem even more of a dumb ass  to the next person.

Le Weaponnier

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 12:06:18 am »
Quote:"That is so true about the Cherokee words they are often heard at pow wow by all types of people "

Yes, ? like the term "Chuluaqui Quodoushka"?

? What does that translate to? ?

I believe it translates to "There's no such thing as sacred sex"

II don't think it has a real translation, somoene else on here made a comment about it.

Offline Ganieda

• Chaos, panic and disorder, my work here is done.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2006, 01:44:05 am »
Well, yes, Mo and Le Weaponnier...but there are also inter-married NA's who use two languages and often mix them together.  It would be prudent to ask before shouting "fake".  I just learned that lesson myself and had to make some apologies.  
*May the Sun warm your Heart, The Moon light your Path and Sacred Mother Earth embrace and protect you always.*

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2006, 11:48:57 am »
 i know what you are saying. but there are obvious cases where people are simply speaking "indian". i've heard all the words most non natives know in a span of about 5 minutes including cherokee, anishnabe and lakota. i mean its not hard to figure out if someone claims to be miqmaq and then greets you with osiyo and leaves you with a heartfelt meegwich and mitakuye oyasin...somethings not kosher. heh