Author Topic: Hi, I'm Unegv Waya and I'm new here  (Read 16478 times)

Offline Unegv Waya

Re: Hi, I'm Unegv Waya and I'm new here
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 04:53:19 am »
Wado, Bls926.  hi tsalagis?
nvwatohiyadv

Offline bls926

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 06:08:41 am »
I'm a Cherokee descendant, not enrolled.

Edit to add: I'm also a German, Scots-Irish, English descendant.
Families have been here for a very long time.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 06:14:28 am by bls926 »

Offline Unegv Waya

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 12:56:50 pm »
Likewise, I'm not enrolled and there is definite Italian and Scots/Irish.  My father was FBI - Full Blood Italian.  My mother was a mix of native and Scots/Irish.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:33:55 am by Unegv Waya »
nvwatohiyadv

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 07:19:03 pm »
Just wanted to know are part of the United Cherokee nation of Florida? I do know You belong or belonged to a group or band, I could be wrong. This Yona means Chief, who is he Chief of? Thanks

Flyaway, the Yona we're talking about is enrolled with the EB and tradtional.  He's on a drum called the All Nations Warrior Drum and is sometimes Head Drum in some of the Florida powwows. 

There are a few fakes in Florida who also go by the name Yona. Not to be confused with Yona from the EB.  I think there's a guy in central Florida somewhere who claims to be a Cherokee story teller ( and wrote books) and calls  himself Yona, and another guy in Georgia somewhere. 
There's also a guy who calls himself Principle Chief of the United Cherokee Nation and has been around a few places in Florida.  Not to be confused with the real "Cherokee Nation"
http://www.myspace.com/chief_stone_bear

As far as I know, Yona Taylor is the only real Cherokee who goes by Yona in Floirda and performs there.  Although I could be wrong because Yona is somewhat common among Cherokees. 

Offline Unegv Waya

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2010, 08:15:51 pm »
I've come across quite a few story tellers in north and central Florida but haven't met one using the name Yona.  There was one man that many called Stone Bear (no relation to the url you listed, Black Wolf) but that was because he sort of looked like a bear and worked with all sorts of precious and semi-precious stones.  He never made any tribal claims like the one in AZ is doing.

There have been a couple of groups that sort of went underground after their leadership was exposed for what they are and who the are not. 
One of them may be using the name Yona if they've come out of hiding.
nvwatohiyadv

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2010, 09:26:01 pm »
We sort of cross posted.  OMG, I know of whom you speak regarding the moon ceremonies.  Please, what can you tell me about this?

He's trying to replicate some of the Cherokee Moon Festivals such as the First New Moon Festival, the Green Corn Festival, and the Great New Moon Festival, etc.  As far as I know, these festivals don’t take place in Florida. Some of these festivals are each held over a few days and aren't something that could just be done in a few hours.   Some involve proper food preparation, the preparation of the ceremonial grounds, religious dances, etc.  Money shouldn't be paid for these services either nor should they be advertised at Powwows and on the Internet.

There are still Cherokee traditional people that actually do still observe these festivals and some observed at some of the Ceremonial Grounds in Oklahoma.  There are a few full blood traditional people who have already denounced the man that we are speaking of. 

The Cherokee man in question that performs these so called “moon ceremonies” for one isn't a medicine man nor is he a traditionalist.  Being fluent in the Cherokee language is one good sign of this, which he is not.  And I don’t mean just knowing a few words and expressions, I mean was he fluent in the language growing up, and was he raised in Traditional ways and is he known at some of the Ceremonial Grounds in Oklahoma as a Medicine Man or Traditionalist. 

He’s not.  And even if he was a Traditionalist, it still wouldn’t be right what he’s doing.  Ceremonial people don’t advertise their services on the internet.  They don’t put maps on the internet showing where their so called Moon Ceremonies take place and how to get there. He’s done this.

He might be Cherokee, but in my book he’s no better then all the fakes and Plastic Medicine Men out there.  Indians like him are part of the problem.  He’s taken advantage of a lot of people who don’t know any better and he’s using his status as a Cherokee to legitimize himself and his so called “Moon Ceremonies”.  He knows what he’s doing is wrong. There’s no doubt about it.    He’s also disgraced his family name and is part of the reason why he hasn’t been publically denounced.

And speaking of Florida, he’s not the only Indian that makes money from catering to the Wannabees and selling out their heritage.  A man from the Winnebago Tribe was out there a few years ago teaching people how to sweat and wrote a fairly accurate book that he was selling on the internet.  There’s also a woman Sun Dancer from Pine Ridge who comes out to Florida from time to time to teach the Wannabees how to build a Sweat Lodge and Sweat in her “Sweat Lodge 101 Classes”.

In my book these people are no better then all the fakes.  Probably even worse.  Their all exploiters in my book.  Anybody that sells out their heritage for a buck doesn’t deserve an ounce of respect. 

Offline flyaway

• "Your mind is your strongest weapon"
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 09:34:21 pm »
Just wanted to know are part of the United Cherokee nation of Florida? I do know You belong or belonged to a group or band, I could be wrong. This Yona means Chief, who is he Chief of? Thanks

Flyaway, the Yona we're talking about is enrolled with the EB and tradtional.  He's on a drum called the All Nations Warrior Drum and is sometimes Head Drum in some of the Florida powwows. 

There are a few fakes in Florida who also go by the name Yona. Not to be confused with Yona from the EB.  I think there's a guy in central Florida somewhere who claims to be a Cherokee story teller ( and wrote books) and calls  himself Yona, and another guy in Georgia somewhere. 
There's also a guy who calls himself Principle Chief of the United Cherokee Nation and has been around a few places in Florida.  Not to be confused with the real "Cherokee Nation"
http://www.myspace.com/chief_stone_bear

As far as I know, Yona Taylor is the only real Cherokee who goes by Yona in Floirda and performs there.  Although I could be wrong because Yona is somewhat common among Cherokees. 

yes I must admit that I was playing rabitt here. YONA is Bear and yes Yona Taylor travels all over and performs. Forgive me but I am an old Cherokee/chocktow Elise who likes to check things out.
I would also like to say to White Wolve that I love your music and you and Silver Wolf are excellent writers and musicians. I do pray I have not offened you.   
As far as the fake tribes/bands/groups Cherokee of Florida there are many, as you know the task force of the CNO are working hard at exposing them. The Job is endless.
Walk with the Sun; Dance with the Moon; Sing with the Stars; But always...Run with the Wind. -
Snow Owl, Nevada. December 8, 2001

Offline Unegv Waya

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 12:02:32 am »
Wado, Flyaway.  I wasn't aware that anyone here had ever heard the music you mentioned.  I won't go into that here as I think that would violate the terms and purpose of this board but wado none the less.  And there's no need to apologize for being a rabbit as you put it.  No offense was taken.  I have done something similar on occasion. ;)

Thanks for the 411, Black Wolf.  I think I know who you are speaking about.  There are only 3 people down here whose name has come up involving a "moon ceremony" and only one of them is said to be from Oklahoma or an enrolled member.

I had some people ask me about it a few years ago.  All I could tell them was that I had no knowledge of such a ceremony and that the only ones I knew to be real Cherokee festivals were the ones you have mentioned.  So, I took a little time and looked into it.

FWIW, the man involved does not charge people to attend or participate in this moon ceremony.  I know that doesn't justify anything and I do not mean to imply that it does in any sense but at least he doesn't collect $$ for it.  So, what ever he gets from this it's not wealth in the monetary sense nor does it appear there is a large following or anything like that.  

I come across him on occasion at some of the gatherings down here.  To talk to him one would have the impression that he is genuine but then some who are not what they represent themselves to be will seem genuine initially.  He doesn't do much to promote himself or what he does so, I have no idea what his reasons are for conducting these gatherings.  I do know that the map you mentioned is old and that the place indicated is no longer used and hasn't been for a couple of years.

This is just sad.  This is also in part why I was here for a decade before I ever popped my head up and indicated I had anything to do with anything native.  The moment I did it didn't take long before people were asking me for ceremony or to join their lodge.  Most of them could not understand why I would do neither.  I about went back underground but then I came across a few real McCoys so I stayed above ground.

This is only the top of the iceberg, so to speak.  Like I mentioned, if you have concerns about Florida just move down here and stay for a year.  Your level of concern will double or triple.  

nvwatohiyadv
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:05:05 am by Unegv Waya »
nvwatohiyadv

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 04:47:40 am »
FWIW, the man involved does not charge people to attend or participate in this moon ceremony.  I know that doesn't justify anything and I do not mean to imply that it does in any sense but at least he doesn't collect $$ for it.  So, what ever he gets from this it's not wealth in the monetary sense nor does it appear there is a large following or anything like that.

I don't see on his website that he is charging money for the moon ceramonies.  Your right.  But he is selling tapes and videos on things such as hypnosis and guided imagery. He also does group workshops and Cherokee weddings.   You might be right that he's not charging money for his moon ceramonies, but I'm going to look into it.  I don't know his motives but its not a good thing what he's doing.  He also offers guidance on Native American Spritualty and Walking the Red Road.  I'm not sure what that means. As far as his following goes. I'm sure he doesn't have thousands of followers or anything, but he is pretty well known on the Florida powow Trail.  I know he at least has dozens of followers.  Maybe more. But your right, IT DOESNT JUSTIFY it.