Author Topic: OMG! What can one say  (Read 4881 times)

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
OMG! What can one say
« on: June 07, 2016, 05:02:53 pm »
OMG! This is the worst piece dreck I have ever read. I would have put it in the comedy forum if it wasn't so racist and stereotypical. I swear you can't make this stuff up.

Remember when
By Pat Russell Jun 2, 2016

Last week we discussed family life for the Indians. When I think of making deerskin clothing for a whole family, I wonder how they held it together. Perhaps bones were used for needles and strings of hide were used for thread to hold them together. But the Indians had to make a covering for their feet also. When we think about covering our feet, we go to a shoe store and try on shoes, but without stores, buckskin was the covering they used to make moccasins. They were durable, soft, pliable and even noiseless as the hunter tracked down his game.

In the winter when the snow covered the ground, a special broad surface shoe had to be built of a light wood frame, covered with a network of strings of hide. This was the only way they could walk on top of the snow or run down a deer.

A canoe was necessary to go down the waterways. Indians in some parts of the country hollowed out logs for their canoes, while others used birch bark to make theirs. These were light weight, strong, and easily moved on down the stream. The Indian could travel quickly, silently and with little effort as he traveled down the Ohio to the Gulf of Mexico or from the mouth of the St. Lawrence to the falls of the Niagara.

Each Indian tribe had a chief and you would think that they had all the power, but the chief had very little real power. If the matter was important it was settled by a council. The record was kept of their council meetings. Even though they couldn’t write, they made pictures that served that purpose. Every time a council was held, a belt was made to show what had been done. A belt was made of strings of beads called “wampum.” And every tribe had its “wampum” interpreters, just as city meetings have their secretaries today to keep records and read the minutes. They could tell what activity had been taken by examination of a belt even from the past. A belt was made of a string of beads to commemorate the treaty made by the Indians with William Penn. In a token of friendship an Indian and a white man clasping each other by the hand was recorded in the belt of beads that was the record of the peace established between the Indians and William Penn.

The arrangement of the beads and their colors had a meaning. Originally all “wampum” was made with white beads or colored shells strung on strings; after the Europeans came, they often used European glass beads. The beads of these “wampum” strings had another use also. It served as money, a certain number of them representing a certain fixed value. For instance, 100 white beads or 50 colored ones would buy a certain quantity of corn. However, the Indians rarely needed these beads for this purpose. He could depend on the forest to supply food, clothes and medicine for him and his family.

Each clan, which was made up of kinsmen or descendants of a common mother, had a “totem” or badge to designate it, which was usually the picture of some animal. The animal or object represented by the “totem” was held in reverence by the tribe. They believed that they descended from its spirit and that it watched over them and protected them.

Among the Iroquois the figures of the bear, turtle, and wolf were the coat-of-arms of the “first families” of the Indian aristocracy. The “totem” was also used as a mark on gravestones, and as a seal. Old land deeds given to Indians often had these marks, just as a grant of land was later made to the white man and had the U.S. government seal on it.

The Indian had very little liberty within his tribe. He was bound by customs handed down from his forefathers. He could not marry as he pleased. He could not sit in the seat he chose at a council. The color of paint he put on his face could not be chosen by him either. A young man who had not won honors in battle could not and would not dare decorate himself like a veteran warrior any more that a private soldier in the U. S. Army would appear in a parade in a major-general’s uniform.

Feelings were expressed with the color of paint on his face instead of words. Among the Indians, complaining or crying was looked on with scorn. Sometimes young Indian boys lined up and put live coals in their arm pits and pressed them close. The one who held out the longest became the leader. Even a mortally wounded young lad didn’t complain, but sang his “death song” and died like a veteran warrior.

The Indians either adopted their captives or tortured them. General Stark of New Hampshire was taken prisoner by the Indians in 1752. Two long rows of young warriors were formed. Each man had a club or stick to strike Stark as he passed down the row but Stark, just as he started, snatched a club out of the hands of the nearest Indian and knocked down the astonished warriors right and left, and escaped almost unhurt. The old men of the tribe roared with laughter as they looked at the warriors sprawled in the dust. Instead of torturing Stark, they treated him as a hero.

The Indian believed in a Great Spirit that was an all-powerful, wise and good Spirit, the one Omnipotent Power, of which they worshipped at least at times. But they also believed in many inferior spirits; some good, and some evil. He often worshipped the evil spirits most, reasoning that the Great Spirit will not hurt me, even if I do not pray to Him, for He is good; but if I neglect the evil spirits, they may do me harm.

The Indian looked for an afterlife, believing that a brave warrior who had taken many scalps would enter the happy hunting-grounds; but there, the coward would be flogged by demons and never-ending.

The Indian would not steal from his own tribe, nor lie to his friends and he did not become a drunkard ‘till the white man taught him.

Until another day, God Bless! Have a blessed week.

http://www.mcleansborotimesleader.com/opinion/remember-when/article_7680091f-c189-58ab-b4c9-c23bb66ca0a3.html

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Re: OMG! What can one say
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 09:08:39 pm »
who writes this stuff :o
In Spirit

Offline Sparks

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:43:11 pm »
Remember when
By Pat Russell Jun 2, 2016
Last week we discussed family life for the Indians.

"Last week" article reads:

Remember when
By PAT RUSSELL May 25, 2016
History was far from important to me as I sat in my fifth grade class at the Dale consolidated grade school.

Frank Johnson was my teacher. My book was open, but as he talked about our history lesson my focus turned to the picture there on the page. I heard a word here and there as he spoke, but I was more interested in seeing if I could draw that picture. Someone else had drawn it, so maybe I could too. I took out my pencil, but instead of taking notes, I began to draw on my paper.

I find as I age my interests change and I’ve gone through different phases in my life. As I look back through my past, that’s part of my history. So as I have a history, you have a history. Our memories of our family and stories we’ve been told about their families are all part of our history. While our families are living it’s the time to ask questions and learn more about our history.

Today I’d like to look back to some of the history that this country affords us. Back to where early peoples and islands were stepping stones to America’s shores. Back to the very first Americans, even before Christopher Columbus.

I’m privileged to have been given articles, and DVD’s and even an old American History book that was written and published in 1902. In this book I’ve found things I had never heard before, but maybe you have. But let’s start with these early Americans before or as they crossed to our shores. Some say their origin is of the Asian Mongolians who crossed from Siberia to Alaska on what was called a land bridge or a group of very small islands that now lies beneath the icy Bering Sea. They came in pursuit of the shaggy, straight-horned bison and other edible animals; some say about 1,500 or 2,000 years ago. One record I found said 20,000 years ago. They were the original Americans that eventually inhabited almost every region of North and South America and Canada, between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Some tribes never established permanent settlements, but traveled continuously in search of their food. Other tribes lived in small villages, and hunted game, fished and raised maize (corn), beans and squash.

These American Indians formed hundreds of tribes, with many different languages and their cultures, customs, and manners varied widely. Those of the northern part of the country were much more barbarous than those of the Southwest, so the 1902 book: “The Leading Facts of American History” states.

The most numerous body of Indians in the East was the Algonquins; the ablest and most ferocious was the Iroquois. They were a tall, well-made race, with a color usually resembling that of old copper. Their hair was like a hose’s mane, coarse, black and straight. Their eyes were small, black and deep-set. They had high cheek-bones and prominent noses.

Although the women let their hair grow long, the men cut theirs off close to the head, with the exception of a lock in the middle. It was called the “scalp-lock,” and was left as a point of honor. According to the 1902 book, that lock was the Indian’s flag of defiance. It waved above his head as the colors did over a fort, as if to say, “Take me if you can!” In a fight it could enable him to pull his enemies scalp off as a trophy of the battle. My thought is, why did he want to wear something that would, maybe give his enemy a possible hold against him? After all, he might not be the victor; his enemy might be, instead.

For weapons they had bows and arrows, hatchets made of flint and heavy clubs.

The Indian’s believed in a strict division of duties.

He did the hunting, the fighting and the scalping; his wife did the work. She built the wigwam or hut of bark.

The wigwams were of different kinds. Some for a single family; others, as among the Iroquois tribe, were long, low tenement-houses, large enough for a dozen or more families. Some wigwams were made of skins stretched on poles; in other parts of the country, they were built of logs. I’d hate to see one I’d have to build, even when I was young.

The wife also planted and hoed the corn, beans, squash and tobacco. She made deerskin clothes for her family. When they moved, she carried the furniture on her back.(Can you imagine? She must have been strong and there couldn’t have been much furniture.

Her housekeeping was simple. She kindled the fire on the ground by rubbing two dry sticks rapidly together, then she roasted the meat on the coals, or boiled it in an earthen pot. This always made for plenty of smoke and dirt; but house-cleaning was unknown and no one complained. I don’t know about you, but I can’t imagine a life like this. Of-course, later on life changed, even for the Indian.

We’ll check-in on more of the Indian’s lives next time. Until another day, God bless! Have a blessed week.

Offline milehighsalute

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 08:11:46 pm »
pretty much just looks like basic attempt to fit pan-ndn'ism in a one size fits all chapter in history for 4th graders.....or even high school kids the way the curriculum in this country goes