Odds and Ends > Etcetera

Talking to Wiccans about Cultural Appropriation

<< < (5/6) > >>

Atehequa:
"What are Native American Deities? We believe in one God so what are people talking about,
We dont have goddress nor do we have many gods what is wrong with people!"

Perhaps it was because of my own basic conversational skills that I misinterpreted this statement in reference of the OP. Now if this is a case of  I am questioning things that you as a mod feel should not be questioned here, then indeed accuse me of grilling someone, going against your authority and therefore the rules you enforce. I've experienced the same at new age sites while speaking up for real Indian people.

Aside from mentioning the name of Kukumthena, I've have not gone into believes, ceremonies or any other aspects of spirituality. I asked a question, but did not expect to be grilled myself.

earthw7:
i guess for me i am confused by your questions, I am real
I am Lakota and Dakota 7/8 Standing Rock 1/8 Oglala i live on the
Reservation among my people and live my ways. I know my language
but I am not fluent, I have been a part of my ceremonies for 35 years now
I have never heard of the Dene, Cree, Crow, Cheyenne, Pawnee ect.. having
them using the concept of gods and godess, Every Tribe has their own word for
God as i said it is the Great Mystery to the Lakota-Dakota-Nakota People. I have never
heard of Native from this land having more than one god or godress.
We have the White Buffalo Calf Woman but she is not a godress she is the woman who
gave us our pipe.

Defend the Sacred:
Atehequa, I have to repeat what I said above. I think this is a semantic argument. There is a language barrier here, even though we are all typing in English. The being you refer to in your post has been called a goddess in writings by non-Natives. I read that same story and think of her as a revered ancestor and Spirit Woman. Someone from another culture may call her something else. It's not about disrespect, it's about how one names these ideas based on what culture they come from. As long as you assume all the words mean the same thing to everyone in the conversation, I think you will keep having misunderstandings with people.

Also, speaking as a non-Native here, some cultures have a certain degree of ambiguity, punning, and multi-level naming about the spirits. In Gaelic lore, some think of our Creator spirit(s) as a deity or deities, others as ancestors, others as some other kind of spirit(s). It can also be argued whether one is talking about one spirit being or several. Or both. That paradox is part of the mindset and worldview of Gaelic tradition.

A monotheist, a henotheist, an animist and a polytheist all walk into a room with an elephant. They are all blindfolded. What do they say is in the room?  Then they relate their impressions to a traditional Lakota, a Cheyenne, a Cherokee, a Catholic, a Gaelic Polytheist, a Baptist, a Newager, a Mormon, and a Wiccan... whose version is correct?

I don't know...Maybe it helps to have done interfaith work. And to speak multiple languages.

earthw7:
Thank you so much Kathyn yousay so much btter than i do  ;D

Defend the Sacred:
*hugs Earth* Without your example, I would not know what was important to know, and what was important to say and not say. Thank you for all you've taught me.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version