Author Topic: One Nation and the Western Cherokee  (Read 9601 times)

Offline Mo

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
One Nation and the Western Cherokee
« on: February 28, 2006, 03:39:00 pm »
i just found this concerning the anti indian hate group One Nation. seems one of their ring leaders is claiming to be Cherokee. you know how it goes "i hate indians but hey i'm part indian too so i can say that". but is this western cherokee nation legit? and whats this non profit they talk about getting their records and enrolling people?
mo

Subject: Barbara Lindsay of One Nation
One Nation is not recognized nor supported by the Western Cherokee nor will it ever have any support from the
Western Cherokee. The anti Native American approach of One Nation should be questioned by all people, these
actions only seem to be designed to create an unfounded fear in people, in a time that healing needs to take place.
Due to a November 2002 Federal Court order that awarded the Western Cherokee tribal records to a Non-Profit
Corporation, a corporation that was never approved by the Tribal Council, and that our tribal records are in the
process of being rebuilt, the Western Cherokee, Department of Enrollment can not find any record of Ms. Lindsay
in our files.
Ms. Lindsay was sent a letter by the Western Cherokee Executive Office in July of 2004 to appear at the August
14th, 2004 Council meeting to show proof of enrollment with the Western Cherokee and explain her involvement
with One Nation. Ms. Lindsay did not appear at the August 14th Council meeting nor has Ms. Lindsay responded
to the letter at this time.
October of 2001 the Western Cherokee officially separated itself from this non-profit corporation due to the lack
of accountability and cooperation with the tribal government, however this corporation seems to continue
enrolling people into it. Ms. Barbara Lindsay of One Nation may have joined the non-profit corporation after
March of 2001, in which eligibility of enrollment would then need to be verified with the Western Cherokee.
Principle Chief Jerry W. Summers
Western Cherokee
409 N. Main St. / PO Box 262
Salem, MO 65560
(573) 729-2233 www.westerncherokeenation.org
E-Mail office@westerncherokeenation.org

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: One Nation and the Western Cherokee
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:15:20 pm »
It's sure not easy trying to keep things straight with so many similar names. Here's my try:

Seems like for tax or legal purposes they have a nonprofit corp. The WCN used to be the WCNAM. They still have the old website up.

They also used to be run by a notorious huckster and power hungry woman named Lola Scholl. She got kicked out, appointed her own council and refused to leave, and then even her own appointed council kicked her out. She still has legal possession of the tribal "rolls" and other records, backed up by a court decision. So the WCN blames the nonprofit for the One Nation member possibly being enrolled.

Even with Scholl gone, the WCN has loads of problems. How many of them are actually Cherokees I don't know. But they seem to have many PODIAs in charge, judging by their website.
They list the Amonsoquath, who claim Pocahontas was Cherokee, as a "sister tribe" along with the "Cherokees of California." Their book list also is full of Nuage or false history.
http://www.westerncherokeenation.org/store.html
"Medicine of the Cherokee: The Way of Right Relationship"

There's a thread in here that discuesses what's wrong with this book by JT Garrett.

"The Cherokee Full Circle: A Practical Guide to Ceremonies and Traditions"

Don't know if it's accurate, but it's appalling to have a how to do ceremonies book.

"Voices of Our Ancestors: Cherokee Teachings from the Wisdom Fire"

This is Nuage cult leader Diane Fisher's ("Dhyani Yawahoo") book, claiming Cherokees come from Atlantis and believe in reincarnation.

"History, Myths, and Sacred Formulas of the Cherokees"

James Mooney's book, which many consider filled with falsehoods.

"Meditations with the Cherokee: Prayers, Songs, and Stories of Healing and Harmony"

Another of Garrett's books.

"Cherokee Herbal: Native Plant Medicine from the Four Directions"

Also Garrett.

"Walking on the Wind: Cherokee Teachings for Harmony and Balance"

Garrett again.

"Education of Little Tree"

The most bizarre case, written by a KKK leader who posed as Cherokee, this is almost like holocaust denial, laying the blame on the fed govt for the Trail of Tears and away from Southern whites, and softening how bad the boarding schools were.

And that's just the things that I can spot wrong. I'm sure the Cherokee members can spot plenty of things I don't know about.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:28:44 pm »
Here's the Cherokee Elder's Society on Scholl.
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:1AfcjTbkspwJ:cherokeeeldersociety.org/frauds.html+%22western+cherokee%22+fraud&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=9
"Lola Scholl  
Lola Scholl aka Lola Smith aka Lola Smith Scholl is best known as the only Chief of a Cherokee band to have a parody website devoted to her (Ironically the site does not stray to far from the truth). In addition to this distinction, it is also estimated that Ms. Scholl recieves the highest salary of any Chief of a Cherokee band with the exception of Chad Smith Principle Chief of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. According to findings of an Elder's Trial conducted in Pocahontas, Arkansas (the first such trial of a Cherokee in North Central Arkansas in the past seventy years), this salary is made possible by a combination of misuse of grant money provided by the Administration for Native Americans (ANA) and the massive number of applications for tribal membership she processes annually ($25/applicant processing fee). According to Ms. Scholl, she processed 10,000 plus applications during a year period between March 2001 and February 19, 2002.
Although Ms. Scholl has been extremely successful in padding  her pockets with application fees and grant fraud, she has also misused her position as Chief of the Western Cherokee Nation of Arkansas and Missouri (WCNAM) as a way to develop other economic possibilities. To this end the Elder's Trial indictment found that there is evidence that she used her position to intervene in Indian Child Welfare cases and then sell the Cherokee children she was given custody of to the highest bidder. All this was done behind the backs of the tribal councils who were unaware of her activities on behalf of the tribe. Ironically after all of this, the Elder's Trial determined that Ms Scholl had faked her own geneology and that of her family in order to give the appearance that she was indeed Cherokee. As a non-Cherokee, Ms Scholl was removed from office and as a member of the tribe. Unfortunately, even following the Elder's Trial, Ms Scholl has failed to step down and continues to conduct business representing herself as the Chief of the WCNAM. In the meantime, she has dismissed two tribal councils."

Joseph

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 07:19:06 pm »
Well, the book list leaves something to be desired. The Garretts seem to have turned one book into a major campaign to confuse, baffle, and blurr what is truly Cherokee belief. Personally I don't think Mooney is full of falsehoods (seems there was a site mentioned here maybe the Elder's Society, that said he was full of lies) but he seems to be more incomplete than anything else.

I recall a while back someone questioned who the Cherokee Elder Society was, who constitutes their membership, and who created thier website. If there was an answer that I missed could someone please direct me to it.

Joseph

frederica

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 07:14:37 am »
Barb Lindsay belongs to the Western Cherokee Nation of Arkansas and Missouri, Lola Scholl's group.There was an article in Native Times last week where they interviewed Scholl last summer. She stated Lindsay joined about 3 years ago. She went on to say she did not agree with Lindsay's ideas and she didn't want her, but failed to say she had booted her out of her tribe. This bunch is in Arkansas, the other Western Cherokee of Arkansas and Missouri is in Missouri.  frederica