Author Topic: What Can Be Done: Practical Advice  (Read 10457 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
What Can Be Done: Practical Advice
« on: October 10, 2005, 06:42:55 pm »
educatedindian"  
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:50:16 -0000
Subject: [nafps_again] Don "Two Eagles": What Can Be Done

--- In nafps_again@yahoogroups.com, "Owl" <dusky_owl@y...> wrote:
> Hello Mchael..
> would you see      www.waterhawkcreations.com       this guy is down
> here in SW FL and we've been contacting various groups to see what can> be done.  He claims relation to various groups including Cherokee
and> we've contacted the various nations and of course we get laughter...
> But what can be done about neutralizing these phony people???  now he> has a book out on drumming....  he is in with the pagan community
here> big time.  Go here and really gag;;
> http://www.waterhawkcreations.com/waterhaw.htm   >
> Owl

Deborah, there are a number of things that can be done when you face an exploiter doing harm to people.

1) Hit them where they really live, in the pocketbook. Protest at the sites where they sell ceremonies and and hand out flyers explaining
why you are protesting.

2) Make the flyers as simple and explicit as possible. A flyer is no place for a subtle essay.
I've always used the numbered points approach- 1)Mr X is not who he says he is folowed by 2) Tribe X says he is NOT an elder 3) Native activists A, B, and C say this about him 4) Practices E, F, and G
have nothing to do wtih Natives 5) These practices could also be dangerous because... 6) This is offensive to Natives because... 7) We urge you to NOT give him money or take part in his phony ceremonies 8) For more info, you can contact...

3) Try to get as much media coverage as you can, both locally and by raising the issue with pagan magazines and websites too, since this is where he targets people.

For the pagan community, I'd suggest trying to appeal to their own sense of being misrepresented, stereotyped, and facing prejudice. I know there are many pagans who are appalled by spiritual exploiters of all kinds in their own communities, not just ones pretending to be
NDN.

4) Contact the police and DA if any laws are being broken, and urge them to investigate.

Does he sell crafts that are labeled Indian made?

Do his phony sweatlodges have practices in place to screen out people who could be injured, scarred, or even die? This is a very real concern. Take the time to search out older posts on the dnagers of
phony sweatlodges.

Does he exploit or abuse his followers for sex, such as claiming it's part of a ceremony, hitting on vulnerable people such as child abuse victims, or taking advatnage of passed out women in phony
sweatlodges? All of these happen far too often, and you should consider incorporating any wanrings into your flyers.

5) Feel free to invite any local pagans who would be open to what we have to say to this group, and we will do our best to try to explain why what  "waterhawk" does is wrong.

Any other suggestions, everyone?

> > > Thank you, thank you. I just found this list and joined, thank > > > goodness. I have been reading up on "plastic shamans" and just
> > wanted > > > to know if anyone has heard of this person, also, here are some of > > > his links: Your reply is greatly appreciated. He is:  
> > > Don "Two Eagles" Waterhawk is a Native American of > > Tsalagi/Mesquakie > > > heritage (Cherokee), and a Wolf Clan and Red Feather Clan
member. > > He > > > has been a student of Native
> > > American and Eastern spiritual ways for over 20 years, and is an> > > artist and creator of spiritual tools.
http://www.rosencomet.com/starwood/1997/STWDXVII_SPEAKERS.4.html
> > >
> > > He also has a site called "waterhawk Creations". Has anyone heard > > of > > > this "plastic Shaman". He is now in SW Fl, via Ohio and Kansas > > (last > > > I heard) and he's hanging around the SW FL pagans spewing his
> > > fakeness.
> > > Thank you,
> > > Respectfully,
> > > Deborah