Author Topic: A Civil Rights Leader Has Disguised Herself As Black For Years, Her Parents Say  (Read 30785 times)

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
According to her parents, she's white. We see this all the time with pretendians, but white people this committed to passing as Black are kind of rare. I mean, lots of people who aren't Black misappropriate Black culture and style, but this is much more extreme. While her parents say it's possible they have a tiny bit of distant Native heritage, this woman is telling people she grew up in a tipi, hunting for food with a bow and arrows.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/a-civil-rights-leader-has-disguised-herself-as-black-for-yea#

"Rachel Dolezal is president of the Spokane, Washington, chapter of the NAACP and also chairs a city police oversight commission. Her parents also told BuzzFeed News that she is passing off her younger adopted black brother as her own son." 

Autumn

What a mentally disturbed person she is to carry on that kind of pretense (I can't imagine what she goes through to get her hair to go from straight blonde to kinky dark!)  When she is questioned about it, she acts as all pretendians do, by saying "I don't give a s**t what you think".

Even though she has two white parents, she still says "I consider myself Black" (she doesn't like the term African American -- maybe because she has never been near Africa).  What a wacko!

Offline AClockworkWhite

I live for days like these. :D
I came here for the popcorn and stayed for the slaying of pretenders.

Epiphany

Rachel Dolezal took real opportunity away from real black folks when she said that she was black (and Native American) in her application to be Chair of the city of Spokane’s Office of Police Ombudsman Commission and also when she applied to be part-time professor at Eastern Washington University.

That’s stealing.  That’s not influence.  That’s not inspiration.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/06/12/fake-black-folks-fake-indians-and-allies-native-roots-rachel-dolezal-saga-160715

Rachel also claims to be native, although she has not stated from what Tribal Nation she hails. In an interview with The Easterner, she says she was born in a Montana tipi in 1977, and that her family hunted for food with bows and arrows.

http://lastrealindians.com/rachel-dolezal-blackface-and-pretendians-by-ruth-hopkins/ (Above quote includes link to http://easterneronline.com/35006/eagle-life/a-life-to-be-heard/#sthash.1aUk3liU.u3KZkx5A.dpbs)

All this info via http://americanindiansinchildrensliterature.blogspot.com/2015/06/nobody-went-huh-when-rachel-dolezal.html

Offline Diana

• I Love YaBB 2!
She just stepped down as the Director of NAACP.

Offline AClockworkWhite

VICTORY. And the truth shall set you free...

Autumn

VICTORY. And the truth shall set you free...

But she seems to have a huge problem with truth, so I don't know if it will set her free.

In one of her interviews, she admitted she had not been born in a teepee, saying that she really does not know where she was born and she has no proof her parents are her biological parents.  She also admitted she had used "creative non-fiction" to explain discrepancies in her stories over the years.  Now that's a new one -- creative non-fiction -- what in the heck is that?

She also said that when she took custody of her Black brother, that meant she needed to be Black, so does that mean that everyone who adopts a Black child (although from my understanding she is a "guardian" to the child, not an adoptive parent), that everyone who takes in a Black child to raise must become Black? 

IMHO, people who have "identity" issues, like people who claim Native American heritage where there is none, have some mental problems and should get therapy.  Just MHO!

Offline AClockworkWhite

Usually, the truth is freedom... and the truth can be really ugly sometimes. And yes, she and the countless multitudes of pretendians and "transracial" people in this world need some serious help.

Offline kahtboosted

I've read a couple of the news articles about this woman, and it seems like she had an interest in trying to 'help' black people throughout promoting certain causes and advocating for civil rights. But personally, I think someone may have an easier time fighting the white power structure as a white woman than as a black woman.
In many settings, especially academic, when you talk about supremacy, colonial tendencies, prejudice, or even something as simple as racist stereotypes, it has been my experience that there is often some clueless modern white woman around, who worships political-correct doctrine and will leap on any chance to try to call you 'racist' over something stupid. Many white men and women are so unreasonable they feel personally attacked if you even point something out about the power structure, etc. Well, at least whites would probably listen and respect her more advocating for the same things as a white woman. Just a thought on that.

One article also clarified that the term 'transracial' Doleval is trying to use is not a real term the way she tries to use it, because 'transracial' apparently is a term already reserved for people who were born/raised into a race different from their own (being raised by parents of the race and usually raised within said culture also). With the version Doleval is trying to invent, people could just basically say they are any race they want to be. Then ofcourse, the real experiences of such races will become meaningless and risk becoming misrepresented as something they arent. It'd be a big circus.

Offline kahtboosted

edit for the previous post, I was referring to 'adoptive parents' ofcourse. Apparently there is already a term of 'transracial' which has been used to refer to people raised by adoptive parents of a culture different from their own ethnicity's. So they are raised in the certain culture, and that includes even their home/family life, so naturally some of these people authentically feel like that is their own culture, even being verified by their family and the cultural community they were brought up in. The ones who feel that complete identification with the foreign culture/family they were raised in are the 'transracials' by a real meaning already used.
So, when Doleval said 'transracial', it is like she is now associating the word in the popular mind with something which it is not, with a delusional thing that is not a real term. All the while, authentic 'transracial' experiences are quite worth reading and hearing about, as they can show us alot about different cultural communities and provide various insights, etc.

Offline ShadowDancer

Rachel Dolezal is in the news again. The Guardian has an interview with her on the eve of publication of her book,  In Full Color: Finding My Place In A Black And White World.

Rachel Dolezal: ‘I’m not going to stoop and apologise and grovel’

The journalist, Decca Aitkenhead, seems a bit apologetic for her.  Not objective. Especially when noted at the bottom of the article the news site is selling the book.  Here are some quotes by the journalist.

Dolezal finds herself in a curious catch-22. Nowadays we would not call someone who presents as a woman, but was registered a boy at birth, a liar. We would not blame her for any subterfuges she might have felt compelled to commit, or cite them as proof of her untrustworthiness. But because Dolezal is seen to have lied about her race, her credibility has been undermined in the eyes of the law. Her book contains many details about her family which she says help make sense of her story; but they have not been corroborated by them, so cannot be repeated here for fear that a libel court would reject them as the claims of a self-confessed liar.

It’s possible that Dolezal’s story isn’t really about race at all. When Larry and Ruthanne exposed her, the humiliation and rejection “felt like reliving my childhood trauma on a global scale”, she says. Sometimes I wonder whether Dolezal is locked into a family psychodrama being played out through faith and race. Her description of the decision to begin a new life as a black woman sounds uncannily like being born again; her sons have been raised to regard white society with the same fearful suspicion she was taught to feel for the godless, in the bunker mentality of her Christian childhood.