Author Topic: Native American Culturalist  (Read 24737 times)

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Native American Culturalist
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 02:32:38 pm »
Yeah Ray, I can.

Joseph

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 08:28:21 am »
JosephSWM:
looks like this would be a interesting site to research too.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 02:45:35 pm »
Have you noticed that since that overly arrogant, mean spirited person by the name of Ray Whritenour has removed all his posts that other posts within a thread do not.

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 02:49:14 pm »
Lost Cherokee, I agree. Some research should be done on Medicine Crow as well as Ray W. Let's see what we can dig up.

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 12:43:39 am »
Im game if you are Joseph Let's see how many foot prints we can uncover...

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 12:50:05 am »
Here's the link to his web again since it got removed

www.medicinecrow.com.au

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 02:47:39 pm »
Just found this on a yahoo search of DMW. It was at Darren McCathern's site

"This is politics as usual in Indian-land folks. The Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma resisted the Eastern Band's federal recognition years ago, and now they are bosom buddies issuing joint resolutions against other Cherokee seeking State Recognition! Once they belonged to the same federal club, they ganged up on all the state recognized and unrecognized groups in a so-called "Joint Resolution" (of two completely separate Indian governments?) They named all kinds of groups... and right at the top of the list was one individual... David Michael Wolfe of the Echota Cherokees. Read why. "

Sad to say that when you click on the 'Read why' the page is not there anymore. I know I would have liked to have found out why. Here is the link to the entire page that the above paragraph was taken from.

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=%22David+Michael+Wolfe%22&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8&vm=r&fr=yfp-t-501&u=www.prophecykeepers.com/chickamaugacherokee/darrenmccathern.html&w=%22david+michael+wolfe%22&d=LVmZFkVuN0Di&icp=1&.intl=us

As for Medicine Crow, he has no prices listed at his site but you know he must charge for all of it. I especially would assume so after meeting him and getting to know his generally rude disposition. I'll tell ya, a Cherokee? Lenape? Indian doing Reiki in Australia, hmmm?

Joseph

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 03:32:54 pm »
I found this site which isn't much in the way of anything new. No new dirt on DMW and what he has written, or should I say copied from a million other websites, is nothing earth shattering. All the info there is all over the net. What I am curious about is somthing at the top of the page. This is what is at the top.

by David Michael Wolfe
Virginia Cherokee Descendent Inage.i AniYunwiya
Cherokee American Artist N.G.E.D. and Historian
Graphic also by David Michael Wolfe

What is a N.G.E.D. I know that he does not have a degree. He told me this himself. Four initials sound important so if someone could tell me just what they stand for (my guess is near-GED) it would be helpful.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.powersource.com/cocinc/ceremony/wolves.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.powersource.com/cocinc/ceremony/moons.htm&h=254&w=178&sz=5&hl=en&start=2&tbnid=bB1kRXsrqNDYoM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=78&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522David%2BMichael%2BWolfe%2522%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN

Joseph

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 05:58:44 pm »
One comment asked whether an individual, who is neither enrolled nor certified as an Indian artisan, is permitted under the Act to use the term ``Non-Government Enrolled Descendant'' or its abbreviation, ``NGED,'' in conjunction with the name of an Indian tribe to market his or her work. Considered as a whole, this phrase and its abbreviation are misleading. The capitalization implies some sort of official standing, and the word ``enrolled'' is positive. However, the truth is exactly the opposite: the individual is not officially recognized by, and is not enrolled in, the tribe named.

http://www.artnatam.com/law.html

but near-GED is  closer

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 09:51:13 pm »
So, if I understand this correctly, if DMW tries to sell his arts or crafts and say he is a Native Artist then he is in big trouble. Does the NGED act as a disclaimer. Even still, how is he allowed to call himself a Cherokee American Artist, which he does, and get away with it. Is that reportable? Can he be in trouble? Can we report him?

Joseph

PS. Lost Cherokee, sorry if it seems that I am asking you to do the work and come up with the answer. Just not enough hours in the day or minutes on a library computer. Thanks.

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:36 pm »
Is that reportable? Can he be in trouble? Can we report him?

Those are very tricky questions. Mostly depends on who has the better lawyer.
N.G.E.D is a disclaimer in a way,but if it is not made clear what N.G.E.D stands for then he is liable but only if tring to sell something.

All products must be marketed truthfully regarding the Indian heritage and tribal affiliation of the producers, so as not to mislead the consumer. It is illegal to market an art or craft item using the name of a tribe if a member, or certified Indian artisan, of that tribe did not actually create the art or craft item.
http://www.doi.gov/iacb/act.html

With him just calling or claiming to be would be hard to doanything with.Other than maybe getting him to drop some of the titles he is claiming..

But  it wouldnt hurt to ask somethat knows a little more about law than me....

Offline lostcherokee

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 11:13:52 pm »
Its been stated that medicine crow charges around $650 a person for his womens weekend retreats or what ever you want to call them.

frederica

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2007, 12:09:22 am »
Joseph, He has to put Indian, or Cherokee Style on what he sells. He cannot sell as a Cherokee Craftman unless he is enrolled in a Federal or State Recognized Nation or Tribe. That's why a lot of people join the State Tribes, in order to sell. frederica

Offline Moma_porcupine

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2007, 04:29:51 pm »
Joseph
You have brought up DMW in a number of threads , but , to someone reading through this , it isn't entirely clear what your concern is , except the guy is said to have a personanlity many people find offensive .

It has been mentioned that DMW is the cousin of the Chief of the Sand Hill Band who is enrolled in the CNO , which seems to suggest DMW likely has some Cherokee heritage - or are they cousins because of a shared non native ancestor ?   

In the Nuyagi Keetoowah thread , you seemed to think it was OK for unenrolled people of questionable BQ , to advertise themselves as Cherokee , so I am guessing that is not your main concern here .  ?

It has been mentioned in the Nuyagi Keetoowah thread , and in thread deleted by Ray Whritenour ( which I still have ) that DMW was apprenticed to the same person , as was your friend Ray Harrell , and they both were laying claim to the same territory and there was some bad feelings between them .

IS DMW selling ceremonies or mixing Cherokee with New Age nonsense ? Does he present himself as a traditional Spiritual leader and mislead people who are too ignorant to know better ? Have you seen things in his personality that could make him dangerous physically or physcologically , if he is trusted in the role he publicly presents himself in ?

It would help if you could explain more about why you are concerned .
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 05:03:35 pm by Moma_porcupine »

Offline JosephSWM

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007, 05:30:10 pm »
Yes, have I have mentioned DMW in other threads, some of those threads are gone because of Ray W. some have been extensivley been edited, etc.

DMW does not sell ceremonies, as far as I know, but is a fraud and in many ways politically and socially a threat to other Indians. There is not a single group, tribe, organization here in MD that he has not lied or cheated to. I will be posting much more about him. He is a thief and he did steal ceremonial items and this is a fact. He holds no claim on any title with any group.

First he claimed to be Virginia Cherokee, and then he was Keetowah, and then he became Echota Cherokee.

Joseph