General > Welcome & News

Mayans Say World WONT End in 2012

<< < (2/10) > >>

critter - a white non-ndn person:
LOL I still find it fun and interesting.  There's not much I take seriously.  Fun and interesting is well, more fun and interesting..  !  :)

E.P. Grondine:
As I deal with ancient catastrophic asteroid and comet impacts, I was asked about the 2012 scam all the time. I would tell them that it was a con, and explain to them why, but it was a good thing that I was able point people to NAFPS so they could find out from Maya for themselves, and it is good that the major media finally picked up on it.

As far as "fun" goes, yeah, the well organized ring of con artists who pull these cons have a lot of fun putting fear and confusion into people and then selling them their fears. They have "fun" laughing all the way to the bank when none of it happens.

Go to any Barnes and Nobles or Borders and you can see the imaginary NDN histories they come up with, and the imaginary European empires they set up in the Americas. You'll get a real chuckle - but remember that they manage to convince many people that this was what actually happened.

I thought it was all "fun" and "entertaining" as well... until the bodies started piling up.

PM me for a copy of "Amazing Stories", my guide inside the cult archaeology industry - you will be amazed.

critter - a white non-ndn person:
That's not my definition of fun and interesting. And I never said that it was. Some may find it profitable, and manipulate it and people..  and still others find it fearful. 

I put aside all the fanciful imaginings, and just enjoy for what it is.  But I"m not a doomsday type person either.  And have never believed the world would 'end'.  But the coming of a time, marked by an ancient people's, is to me, fun and interesting. 

The magnetic poles may or may not flip during my lifetime, or our great grandchildren's lifetimes.. great great grandchildren's or..   who knows?  But the magnetic poles do flip..  but I don't believe it would cause the end of the world..  and I don't 'attach' it to the 2012.  I find prophecy interesting, but I don't put a whole lot of stock into it because I just don't believe the 'future' can be predicted..  I don't believe the 'future' is 'tangible' in that sort of way.  The future hasn't been written yet.. it is still open.. and new.. to all possibilities. 

The doomsday sayers, well, they have their say.. and it's what they will believe whether there is a movie or not.  I will most likely enjoy the movie, if it's good, because I like good Sci Fi.. I liked the Lord of the Rings too.. 

Movies and whatnot, people have imaginations, and imagine what it would be like if the world did end.  Why it's 'attached' to 2012 I don't know, exactly, a mis interpretation of some archeologists..  The apocalypse movies attached to the Christian myths also have people in a fit, and many take advantage of that as well.. Millions of believers in that myth are just 'waiting' for it to happen.. and perhaps even 'intending' it..  Sad, but there it is. 

All I can say is People will be people, and some will always take everything way too seriously, and end their lives over it, or rake in the dough by exploiting such a thing.  But does that mean I or another cannot just enjoy an event for what it is without all the hoopla? 

educatedindian:
Now NASA is working to debunk the nonsense about 2012.

--------------------
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.d1a7d73018336ea872c383a980ddb006.5a1&show_article=1
NASA on a crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths
Nov 9 02:37 PM US/Eastern

The world is not coming to an end on December 21, 2012, the US space agency insisted Monday in a rare campaign to dispel widespread rumors fuelled by the Internet and a new Hollywood movie.

Sony Pictures's latest big screen offering "2012" arrives in theaters on Friday, with a 200-million-dollar production about the end of the world supposedly based on myths backed by the Mayan calendar.

The doomsday scenario revolves claims that the end of time will come as an obscure Planet X -- or Nibiru -- heads toward or collides into Earth.

The mysterious planet was supposedly discovered by the Sumerians, according to claims by pseudo-scientists, paranormal activity enthusiasts and Internet theorists.

Some websites accuse NASA of concealing the truth on the wayward planet's existence, but the US space agency denounced such stories as an "Internet hoax."

"There is no factual basis for these claims," NASA said in a question-and-answer posting on its website.

If such a collision were real "astronomers would have been tracking it for at least the past decade, and it would be visible by now to the naked eye," it added. "Obviously, it does not exist."

"Credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012," NASA insisted.

Initial theories set the disaster for May 2003, but when nothing happened the date was moved forward to the winter solstice in 2012 to coincide with the end of a cycle of the ancient Mayan calendar.

But NASA insisted the Mayan calendar in fact does not end on December 21, 2012, as another period begins immediately afterward. And it said there are no planetary alignments on the horizon for the next few decades.

And even if the planets were to line up as some have forecast, the effect on our planet would be "negligible," NASA said.

Among the other theories NASA has set out to debunk are that geomagnetic storms, a pole reversal or unsteadiness in the Earth's crustal plates might befall the planet.

And while comets and asteroids have always hit the Earth, "big hits are very rare," NASA noted. The last major impact was believed to be 65 million years ago, spurring the end of dinosaurs.

"We have already determined that there are no threatening asteroids as large as the one that killed the dinosaurs," the space agency said.

Defend the Sacred:
Can anyone say "Harmonic Convergence"?

I was one of many, many people who said, "Eh, why not." and trooped out at dawn to meditate and pray in the park. While it was cool to see a bunch of people out at dawn praying for peace, and most people were just doing their own thing, we also saw dubious, wannabe cult leaders taking advantage of people.

Some dude dressed in an approximation of "Mayan" gear showed up in the park. He looked the part, so all these people who were wandering around, wondering what to do, lined up and did whatever he told them. He had them lying on the ground, face down, in weird formations, repeating whatever he said. In retrospect it's sort of funny, but overall it's really creepy. I got bad vibes from the guy.

I don't recall the guy's name, or what became of him after the "Harmonica Virgins". Thankfully, some of the wanderers who were initially drawn to him, thinking it was some sort of official event, wandered away. Some of them wound up praying with us.

I foresee frauds like that dude coming out of the woodwork; and new frauds who are inventing their personas, costumes and backstories right now; all primed to take advantage of the scared and confused... the wanderers in the park. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version