Author Topic: Andrea Bernstein, conciousdestiny.org, Salt Lake City  (Read 5323 times)

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Andrea Bernstein, conciousdestiny.org, Salt Lake City
« on: May 06, 2018, 04:03:28 pm »
Andrea Bernstein of http://consciousdestiny.org/ was slated to perform a cacao ceremony this past weekend at Open Streets Salt Lake City 2018. Her prayerformance was cancelled and apology was made by organisers however she refused to accept responsibility and deflected blame https://m.facebook.com/events/145685296212306?view=permalink&id=209961933117975

In the past she has hosted 'Inipi Ceremony' advertised on meet-up and charges exorbitant fees for her 'shamanic' services and teachings.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 04:07:23 pm by not_ur_spirit_animal »

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Andrea Bernstein, shaman, Salt Lake City
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 04:05:38 pm »

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
Re: Andrea Bernstein, conciousdestiny.org, Salt Lake City
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 07:29:00 pm »
https://www.meetup.com/The-Salt-Lake-City-Shamanism-Meetup-Group/events/218624629/

"Reconnect to the Sacred Web
Traditional Inipi (Purification) Lodge
with Shen Airmet and Andrea Bernstein
November 22 & 23

Suggested Offering - $128 (nobody will be turned away for lack of funds, please contact [masked] should you need some financial assistance and are called to be with us)

1:00 - 6:00 Saturday (Bring Light Snacks)
Noon - 6:00 pm Sunday (Please bring Pot Luck Dinner for After Lodge on Sunday)

• Take Part in Building a Lodge

• Learn Lodge Symbolism, Smudging, Prayer Ties, Canupa (pipe ceremony)

• Honor Yourself and all your relations as you sit in the Womb of Earth Mother

• Experience a Re-birth

• Experience the Elements - Earth, Air, Fire, Water

• Reconnect to the Ancestors through sacred songs.

Learn More: http://consciousdestiny.org/inipi_ceremony.html"

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »
A Villoldo franchisee.

--------
https://2015springwildwomensymposium.sched.com/andrea117
Andrea received a Master certification in Shamanic Energy Medicine from The Four Winds Society, Light Body School and is a Sacred Activist and Yogini. Andrea has received initiation from the Q’ero shaman of Peru and deeply embodies this profound body of wisdom. Andrea is gifted and dynamic shaman, healer and teacher, dedicated to awakening the innate wisdom and authentic expression buried deep within our hearts. She has an international shamanic healing and shamanism mentorship practice and leads workshops and retreats for transformation and visioning of your highest Soul’s journey.
University of Utah – Lifelong Learning Instructor, Intro to Shamanism: 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2015;
Ritam Healing Arts, Business Manager & Assistant to Saul David Raye, Ritam Healing Arts 2013 & 2014; Four Winds Society, Light Body School, Master of Shamanic Energy Medicine, 2006;
Assistant to Alberto Villoldo, 2007 – 2009
Continuing Education Coordinator 2009 – 2012
International Munay-Ki Coordinator and Student Advisor 2010 – 2012;
Integrative Yoga Therapy, 2007;
Yoga + Meditation Teacher, 2004

----------
And really, really clueless and condescending.

http://livingconsciousdestiny.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-lakota-sundance-and-wounded-knee.html
Lakota Sundance and Wounded Knee – Period.

....I have accepted an invitation to join my sister Psalm Isadora on the Pine Ridge Reservation of South Dakota; to remember and honor the indigenous ways through the Sun Dance. Being in ceremony where the warriors make sacrifice to the Great Mystery and the Tree of Life by piercing and tearing off their skin as an offering for the good of the tribe - this is where I am being called to celebrate my “in deepened/deep end dance”.

The dance officially begins today with Tree Day, but since I started my moon a week early this full moon day – I have given myself permission to move slowly and tie up loose ends before I depart. I hear my mother’s voice in the back of my head knowing she would worry about me driving in the dark. But I have my own ceremony to prepare; a strong sense of urgency to bring to completion and honor to what has been in the recent months and leave the space open for a new chapter to emerge when I return.

The relaxed pace gives me the time to put in calls to my Medicine Women sisters – I check in for protocol, what to wear, offerings to bring any other important pieces that I should know before I head out....

As I turn the corner onto BIA Highway 2 and head down the Big Foot Trail, I am overcome with sorrow and loss. The land and the ancestors are screaming their story in the deafening silence. Those who have come before us, the forgotten wisdom calling, “See me, remember me. Hear me.” I pass the sign memorializing the Massacre at Wounded Knee. Ah, no wonder...

I continue to drive through what appeared to be a Ghost Town, the native people sitting on the door steps, drinking from bottles, waiting for something that has long since gone away – it appears to me that there is little hope of its return – whatever it is. My tears are flowing steadily now and I stop to gather myself at the Gas Station/Subway Restaurant before the last stretch to the Lakota Prairie Lodge. A young girl standing next to me at the sink in the restroom asks if I know anyone that would be interested in purchasing a size one white dress with a flower - she has one for sale. I immediately see the image of a baptism dress – the shadow of the Catholic church and it’s footprint on the reservation. As I leave, another native women calls for me to come see her wares – a single strand of plastic beads make up a bracelet. I am overcome once again with grief for the forgotten wisdom.

I pull into the Lodge at 10:08 and once again silently giving thanks for the slightest glimmer of grace. 108 energy meridians connect to the heart - walk in beauty. Thank you, for the reminder. Through the open window Psalm calls out, “that you ma?” and I walk in as if I saw her yesterday - my sister, my grappling hook to courage and strength. I recount my journey, the sadness, the tears, the sense of loss on the land. Psalm shares the message given by Medicine Man Mike in the pre-ceremonial sweat. “We are here to give sweat and give blood to keep our way of life alive. Pray hard." I think to myself, “hard is an understatement”...

We visit for a bit and prepare to head out for the day. I transfer my tampons into my day pack and everyone gasps at once. Oh no, you are on your cycle??!! You can’t go to the dance… In that first moment, I exclaim – you’ve got to be kidding me? You never told me?!! Everyone agrees that it is the first thing Psalm told them and can not believe I hadn’t heard! And yet, a deeper knowing inside my heart was present. I was called to be there for a reason, this much is clear. We say our goodbyes, Psalm assuring everyone that I would find a sacred spot to bust out my magic rocks and connect in ceremony, “a good witch she is, she’ll be guided”.

I lay down and fall into a deep, deep slumber and awaken hours later. The room, stifling – the windows still open, is like a sauna. I am soaked in sweat and feel so heavy I can barely move. I know I must go out and connect with the land so I close the windows, turn on the air conditioner and take a cold shower before heading out to explore the Badlands.

As I drive East on BIA 2, I pass a hand painted billboard that read, “Our 1st graders are drug free” Wow, what an accomplishment – so this is life on the reservation?! I consider what it must be like for these people and decide that I would probably drink and take drugs too. Who wouldn’t medicate when their Soul has been lost – or rather, stolen. Independence, hmmm.

I enter the park and find an obscure road off the beaten path where I park, open the hatch and climb in the back to fall into yet another deep slumber. I bake in the sun of the Badlands, my Medicine Bundle in my arms, I’m protected and held as lifetimes are released – dead to the world.

Later that evening, after Psalm and the others arrive back to the Lodge she tells me that this is where she comes to do her deep shadow work. Hearing this from the woman who hangs out with Kali on a regular basis, I now understand why I can barely lift my head off the pillow. I drift back to sleep and am awoken in the middle of the night by shooting pain in my left Knee. Wounded Knee…

Psalm is already gone when I rise the next morning. She has brought the matriarch of the medicine man’s family into Sioux Fall’s to pickup more supplies for all of her guests. I hear my own lineage calling me home. I know it is time for me turn around and go back. The week ahead will be full and I can not justify staying. I will continue my ceremony back in Salt Lake. I drive 24 hours to be on the reservation for the same – I cry in the wonder of it all, still knowing this adventure is part of my initiation and connection to this great land with much history to share. I know that I will return another time.

I head west and stop for Ceremony at the overlook above Wounded Knee and then at the Memorial gravesite where the bodies were piled en masse. I leave a prayer tie on the fence, an offering – a promise, a tobacco tie to send a smoke signal to the ancestors of the land. I hear you and I will share your message....

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:05 pm »
Bernstein's friend and mentor, "Psalm Isadora", mentioned above, was a newage appropriator who committed suicide after selling awful, fake, sexploitation "tantra" to bored, mainstream white people as "sex therapy".

A web search will turn up a range of articles, from the gushing newage "How could such a beautiful soul do this?!" sort to more level-headed ones about how common it is for these self-made newage "gurus" to have a false, glossy, public persona that hides inner turmoil, and how she just swapped one addiction for another throughout life. But even in the more accurate journalism, it's hard to find any coverage that isn't full of offensive misinformation about the cultures "Psalm Isadora" exploited.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/lonely-death-of-tantric-sex-guru-and-yogi-psalm-isadora-leaves-disciples-with-unanswered/news-story/7b912114630bfe48e5488257c44b76bb

Offline Smart Mule

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 04:36:49 pm »
Andrea is currently among the continuing education faculty at University of Utah https://continue.utah.edu/lifelong/instructor/588454

Andrea Bernstein is a master's level graduate and former staff member of The Four Winds Society, Healing the Light Body School. Andrea has been initiated by the Q'ero Shaman as an Earthkeeper and is dedicated to sharing this ancient wisdom with others. A gifted and dynamic healer and teacher, Andrea's passion is to provide the tangible tools for her students to express their innate gifts and live the life they were born to live.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 06:22:52 pm »
Not really faculty. It's adult education classes.

"Lifelong Learning is part of Continuing Education at the University of Utah. We offer noncredit personal enrichment classes for adults in art, crafts, business, food/wine, healthy living, home and garden, language, recreation, writing, and more. Classes vary from a one night food and wine class to a 6 or 8 week language or writing class, and are designed to give students an opportunity to explore/learn something new or to expand existing skills. There are no exams, required homework, or grades."

She gets paid $25 for a session. She might be using this to promote or sell her shame on ceremony, which is against university rules at any public or legit school I've ever heard of. I sent an inquiry asking if she is.

---------
Hello, I'm a history professor at Northern Virginia Community College and longtime member of New Age Frauds Plastic Shamans at NewAgeFraud.org. We are a human rights watchdog group protecting American Indian spiritual traditions from New Age and faux shaman abusers, exploiters, and imposters.

One of your instructors, Andrea Bernstein, is such an imposter. She conducts fake, offensive, and potentially dangerous versions of Lakota and Quechua ceremonies. She is non-Native and trained by Albert Villoldo, also a non-Native and the founder of the cult Munay Ki, which passes off Buddhism and Taoism as Native traditions.

Bernstein does her version of a sweatlodge, which when done by the improperly trained (as she is) frequently results in scarring, asphyxiation, heart attacks, psychotic episodes or relived trauma, and deaths as happened in the James Ray case in Sedona.

Is she conducting such fraudulent and dangerous ceremony on the University of Utah campus, her course fees paid for by UU? Is she using her classes to promote the Munay Ki cult and sell her faux ceremonny? If so, that leaves the school open to liability and other legal issues. It also would be disturbing if UU knowingly allowed such cultural appropriation and spiritual colonialism on its campus and website.
Thank you,
Al Carroll

Offline Sparks

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 10:53:04 pm »
Andrea Bernstein of http://consciousdestiny.org/ was slated to perform a cacao ceremony this past weekend at Open Streets Salt Lake City 2018. Her prayerformance was cancelled and apology was made by organisers however she refused to accept responsibility and deflected blame https://m.facebook.com/events/145685296212306?view=permalink&id=209961933117975

For those of us who don't have Facebook connected to our mobile devices, this is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/events/145685296212306/permalink/209961933117975/

There are by now 32 main comments and several hundred replies in sub-threads.

Interesting links from the discussion:

https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2015/08/04/whose-culture-is-it-anyhow/consider-historical-and-political-context-when-appropriating-others-culture
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/4/21/1758866/-Amazon-rainforest-defender-and-Shaman-Olivia-Ar-valo-Lomas-assassinated-in-Peru
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sebastian-woodroffe-1.4648195