Author Topic: "Chief Standing Cloud"  (Read 32808 times)

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
Re: Bill Stover AKA Chief Standing Cloud
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 02:47:43 pm »
That video doesn't have the best sound. Does he or his interviewer say in it he is Stover? The video and Gower's photo seem to show different men with different eyes and skin tone. Gower's photo shows a middle aged tanned man, while the video shows an elderly pale heavier bearded one.

ETA: I stand corrected. Could be he's in better health, been out in the sun, or even used tanning makeup. Threads are now merged.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 12:31:09 am »
Does he or his interviewer say in it he is Stover?

Yes, the interviewer identified him in the same blog as where there is a link to the video:

I found some references to Bill Stover as "Standing Cloud" referring to a YouTube video where we see him:

[…] Then Bill Stover (Mahpia Naijin – Standing Cloud), a Lakota elder, shared some of his many experiences, insights and Tribal traditions. […]

Offline kitekite

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 04:01:31 pm »
Oh boy! This cracks me up! Bill Stover aka Standing Cloud is my grandfather!

Bill Stover is a * real Indian * . He lives on Pine Ridge. He is well respected and many people come to him for medicine inside and outside of the local community. My cousin and I were actually pretty sad to see this on here. It breaks my heart to imagine people thinking ill of an elder who wants to make the world a better place, while unable to be paid for his service. It is a hard life. He takes donations for gas and tobacco, and last time I sweat with him in California, he was collecting money for a new water heater for his home.

He says over and over these days "I am not a medicine man". He wants to give medicine and healing to the people, not through ego.

Where to start with this thread, jeez.
First of all, that photo up there is not him, it is him in the videos. He has lost a lot of weight since then, has been very sick for a while. I wanted to address this "chief" stuff. I am not my grandfather's keeper, but I will say that we must love and protect our elders, because this woman in the UK is definitely full of shit, so my main concern he actually is taken care of when he goes places. He would never call himself chief. I have my doubts that he is the one she is referring to for this weird event in August. Many people try to scam our elders.

"Standing cloud" is his spiritual name, based on a dream. If you have a chance to meet Bill Stover, I bet he would be happy to share this dream with you. It is one of my favorite stories. No relation to the other standing cloud.

Offline kitekite

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 04:03:39 pm »
Also, to the person who says we don't eat lunch after a sweat: wtf

Offline kitekite

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2018, 06:07:01 pm »
Okay and on a final note, just confirmed it's not him in the UK. I wonder if someone is impersonating him  :-X

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 02:16:01 pm »
Did some searching and confirmed Kitekite is who she says she is. I also wonder if there's deliberate impersonation or lineage stealing going on. Also, Bill Stover is not that unusual a name.

Offline loudcrow

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 11:51:02 pm »
The man who appears in this photograph is the one who will be appearing in the UK. He calls himself "Chief
Standing Cloud" and claims to be from the Pine Ridge reservation. The man in the youtube video is not the same man. I am concerned there might be some identity theft going on here.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 02:01:05 am »
The man who appears in this photograph is the one who will be appearing in the UK. He calls himself "Chief
Standing Cloud" and claims to be from the Pine Ridge reservation.

I did a Google Image search with that photo. This is what I found (my bolding in quote):

KCCA’s ‘East Meets West’ Showcases Sino-American Friendship

June 25th was a typical hot summer day, but far beyond usual for one eastern Kansas town. But the sound of Chinese drums, gongs, and singing electrified the city of Ottawa, Kansas, located about 45 minutes southwest of the Kansas City metropolitan area. It was a novel and exciting experience for the well-attended cultural event that ensued in the centrally-located City Park.

Photos provided by Song Guocai

The occasion for this celebratory activity was to mark the end of a month-long artistic presentation entitled ‘East Meets West: Artistic Crossroads of Asia and America'. The art show showcased the works of local painter and graphic designer Hongli Xu and was held at the Carnegie Cultural Center. She is an artist whose work combines a formal background in traditional Chinese art along with the influence of Western and Native American schools of representation.

The Kansas City Chinese Association (KCCA) supported the show and sponsored the closing gala as a means of furthering awareness of and appreciation for intercultural exchange between China and America. Over 250 people in attendance enjoyed the festivities. The result was atremendous success in meeting organizational objectives of engagement.

KCCA’s involvement included fielding a large number of dedicated volunteers to organize the event as well as provisioning the event with needed organizational guidance and material help. Chinese businesses also were intimately involved in supporting the event. KC Granite and 888 Market provided a presence, while restaurants KC Buffet of Shawnee and Tryyaki of Lawrence brought a large amount of delicious Chinese food to render a taste of Asia to the festival goers. Local business leader Benny Lee also turned out to show support for the event.

From start to finish, the day-long celebration was an unforgettable exposé of the close relationship that has developed between China and America. A concert of traditional Chinese zheng music preceded the actual start of the festivities. KCCA President David Cheng and Carnegie Center Curator Randy Endicott opened the event with remarks heralding the long historical bonds between the peoples of the two nations. Local dignitaries included Mayor Sara Caylor of Ottawa who offered laudatory comments to the crowd, as well as City Manager Rick Nienstedt and City Commissioner Mike Skidmore. Chief Standing Cloud of Osage City was a special honoree and offered the introductory blessing to the event.

The KC Drumrollers, a community group from the Kansas City area that plays traditional Chinese percussion instruments, greatly inspired the attendees with their thrilling play of large drums as well as the iracrobatic Lion Dance routine. A The Lawrence Dancing Friends Group of the Lawrence Chinese School and the Jasmine Dance Group gave several awe-inspiring performances of Zhang and Mongolianminority folk dances. A tea ceremony as well as a calligraphic dance also occurred, and singer Liu Na offered a beautiful rendition in song of homeland praise. Native American chants and dancing also gave a multicultural cast to the event.

A high point of the day was a stunning fashion show and fan dance performed by KCCA’s own Traditional Cheongsam Dance Team. Over two dozen lovely ladies exhibited beautiful qipao silk Chinese dresses in a myriad of striking colors while performing in a choreographed and precision manner. It was truly a remarkable site to behold.

At the end of the performances, dignitaries as well as the general public were invited to come forward and sign a friendship wall that hadbeen erected. The works of many children also were displayed to echo the theme of friendship and peace. Last, a kite festival began, and beautifully painted kites flown by families could be seen flying for hours thereafter.

The ‘East Meets West’ show was an astoundingly successful event in terms of bringing together two disparate cultures. It highlighted the friendship links that have existed been Asian and American societies. Through its support to this art exhibit and gala performance, KCCA played a strong role in spreading a sense of amity and positive cultural relations in Kansas.

"Chief Standing Cloud" can be seen in several photos, one is identical to the one shown in previous post, although some Chinese text at bottom of photo has been removed before being reposted by Diane Gower:

So look further for "Chief Standing Cloud" of Osage City, Kansas.

Piff

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2018, 01:27:43 pm »
The Ottawa Herald
April 23, 1994

Pomona Earth Day explores cultures.

"One guest speaker was Leroy Standing Cloud, Lyndon, who told the students about recently becoming a Chief in the Lakota Sioux Tribe."

-----------
Uploaded here is a 1987 photo from The Ottawa Herald. He regularly did Thanksgiving events at a local elementary school.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2018, 03:15:57 pm »
"One guest speaker was Leroy Standing Cloud, Lyndon, who told the students about recently becoming a Chief in the Lakota Sioux Tribe."

Same Leroy as this one?

I am the maintainer of the website http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com, and I can tell you that the Chief Standing Cloud that I have met is not Bill Stover, but Leroy Standingcloud.  He is a wonderful man and is not a fraud.

~Kyle Klipowicz

Piff

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 03:53:07 pm »
Sparks, that does sound like the same person.

Kyle Klipowicz's blog is currently on invite only. Some of the blog was captured on Wayback Machine https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://perhapsidid.blogspot.com/ but I've not yet seen any mention of Leroy Standing Cloud.

---------

There are several people named Leroy Standing Cloud. Also sometimes online people searches mash up multiple people by the same name and present the data as if it is one person.

Piff

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 04:08:34 pm »
Born on Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, South Dakota and named by family member Brave Hawk, Brule. Chief Standing Cloud from, Oglala Lakota tribe (Sioux) carries his tradition and culture proudly with dignity and honour used by the Lakota ways today.

http://www.dianegower-simplydivine.com/chief-standing-cloud

-------------

The above somewhat matches this story in Tribune and News, Sept 12, 1974, in the Parmelee News section, by Violet Neck:

When Leroy Standing Cloud enrolled at an out of state college after his graduation from TCHS last spring, he was indeed determined. He left last week from Valentine for Muskogee, Oklahoma. Mrs. Marcelline Elk Looks Back is his mother. Standing Cloud is the Lakota name given to him by my late grandfather, Benton B. Brave Hawk, thus making Leroy his grandson in the Indian way.

Piff

Re: "Chief Standing Cloud"
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2018, 05:39:50 pm »
Tribune and News
Thursday, August 1, 1974
in Parmelee News by Violet Neck

Among participants at Crow Dog's Sundance this week were Leroy Standing Cloud, son of Mrs. Marceline Elk Looks Back and Joe Chief Bear from Hisle, S. Dak.

----------
The Ottawa Herald
Nov 21, 1990

Chief Leroy Standing Cloud (of Ottawa) came to talk to them in full Indian dress.
Standing Cloud has been a Sioux chief since last December. He spent the morning speaking about his lifestyle as a modern Indian and explained the symbolic meaning of much of his outfit as well as other 'props' he brought along.
On Thanksgiving, the chief, explained, he will smoke his peace pipe and thank God for all good things in his life.

------------
In 2014 "Chief Standing Cloud of the Sioux Tribe" was part of a Native American art exhibit in Ottawa, Kansas. He did a smudging ritual to bless the art reception.

Offline educatedindian

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2018, 09:35:49 pm »
LCS on FB. Hasn't used it since 2014 when he was posting some online gambling games.

https://www.facebook.com/leroy.standingcloud.1
Worked at Disabled   Went to He Dog School   Lives in Osage City, Kansas   From Parmelee, South Dakota

People on Twitter and Youtube with the same name don't appear to be him, much younger.
From what I see, he's being misused by Gower and doesn't realize how.

ETA: He's used to general cultural presentations for kids, or in foreign countries. He doesn't seem to know that Gower sells fake ceremony. I'd say our focus should be on either trying to contact him, or making sure Gower does donate the money as claimed.

Offline Sparks

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 03:55:57 pm »
LCS on FB. Hasn't used it since 2014 when he was posting some online gambling games. https://www.facebook.com/leroy.standingcloud.1

By now, since 2014, a few posts have been added in 2020.