Author Topic: Margaret Noodin, Professor  (Read 83635 times)

Offline Advanced Smite

Re: Margaret Noodin, Professor
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2022, 12:21:25 am »
Posted by WINative

Re: Margaret Noodin Ojibwe Professor
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2021, 05:25:30 pm »
With such thorough research done into all lines of her family tree is there any possibility left that she has enrolled family members at Grand Traverse Minnesota tribe or any band?

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2022, 12:23:10 am »
Posted by LittleSister

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2021, 07:03:05 pm »

There are so many Margaret O'Donnells pretending their heritage in higher education. Once upon a time they got away with it but thankfully with new ways to research their lines we can expose them. Another one I've always been suspicious of is Allison Hedge Coke. Looking through the information presented here and not finding any instance of Margaret saying she is adopted I can't imagine she is actually connected to any bands.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 12:26:12 am »
Posted by verity

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2021, 09:38:22 pm »

Quote from: WINative on April 28, 2021, 05:25:30 pm
With such thorough research done into all lines of her family tree is there any possibility left that she has enrolled family members at Grand Traverse Minnesota tribe or any band?

The family we're researching, all the work Diana has laid out, there isn't any possibility that Margaret has enrolled family members. Except maybe with special circumstances that we don't know about, but surely Margaret would be public about adoption etc.

Margaret is a story-teller, she would make use of family history such as adoption if it fit her own story of self.

Margaret doesn't talk about her parents and grandparents. She doesn't share photos of ancestors. She doesn't share any sense of community and place - it's as if she came into being as a young adult poet and then a college student.

I believe that we are also seeing signs of Margaret taking on other people's stories. I think she has shape shifted along the way.

She often describes herself as "of Anishinaabe descent". As if that is the end of the public story but I think it should be the beginning. Who are her people? What community is she grounded in now?

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 12:29:17 am »
Posted by advancedsmite

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2021, 05:20:47 pm »

After researching Margaret Noodin, it is impossible to believe that she has not been 100% intentional in her deception. I’ve created a timeline with name change/court records alongside how she was identifying herself in articles and published work. The word that kept coming to mind was “egregious”. I completed her genealogy and had similar findings to other posters. Her genealogy was easy to complete (after unraveling the numerous name changes) due to great records and a clear immigration event for each line of her family. Minnesota is unusual in that they publish a birth record index through the early 2000’s. Most states do not make a given year’s birth record index publicly available for 100 years. While her sister’s birth was in the index, I suspect Margaret was born out of state. Based on the information Margaret has given in interviews, it would be difficult for her to claim adoption or an unknown paternity event. As someone enrolled in a MN tribe and a University of Wisconsin system graduate, Margaret Noodin using a manufactured identity and stolen voice to contribute to UW diversity efforts is both infuriating and laughable.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2022, 12:31:43 am »
Posted by Cetan

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2021, 12:54:43 am »

I dont know her history but I did know her when she taught at University of Michigan. Hap McCue and Howard Kimewon, both Ojibway language instructors thought highly enough of Meg to allow her to teach the language

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2022, 12:33:53 am »
Posted by Diana

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2021, 06:48:29 am »

Margaret Noodin has taken this Ojibwe name from an Ojibwe chief of the same name.  It also means wind or windy.
I believe she legally had her name changed. I've been looking but just can't find the state she had it changed in. She is certainly a slippery one.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2022, 12:41:15 am »
Posted by Sparks

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2021, 02:53:27 pm »

Quote from: Diana on June 08, 2021, 06:48:29 am
Margaret Noodin has taken this Ojibwe name from an Ojibwe chief of the same name.  It also means wind or windy.

About Chief Noodin here: https://chequamegonhistory.wordpress.com/tag/noodin-of-saint-croix/

“No-tin” copied from 1824 Charles Bird King original by Henry Inman in 1832-33. Noodin (Wind) was a prominent Chippewa chief from the St. Croix country. ~ Commons.Wikimedia.org

There are images at these URLs:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q20880171
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:No-tin_Wellcome_L0021491.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:No-tin,_a_Chippewa_chief.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WLA_lacma_1832_Wind_No-Tin.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:WLA_lacma_1832_Wind_No-Tin_M2008_58_2.jpg

Dictionary entries, etc.:
https://ojibwe.lib.umn.edu/main-entry/noodin-vii
https://ojibwe.lib.umn.edu/main-entry/zhaawani-noodin-vii
https://www.translateojibwe.com/en/dictionary-ojibwe-english/Noodin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tQxwXfCCUA
[Ojibwe Word of the Day Gichi-noodin. ?? ???? 'It is very windy.']

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2022, 12:45:08 am »
Posted by verity

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:43 pm »

Quote from: Diana on June 08, 2021, 06:48:29 am
I believe she legally had her name changed. I've been looking but just can't find the state she had it changed in. She is certainly a slippery one.

One possibility is that she legally changed her name in divorce proceedings. I don't know how universally available this is. In WA state a woman can change her name in divorce papers, new chosen surname doesn't have to be birth name. The only record of the name change then is only found in those divorce documents.

I did this myself. Judge approved after making sure that I was not name changing for criminal purposes. This is a totally different process than the usual name change request through courts. So there are not the usual name change records generated.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2022, 12:53:51 am »
Posted by Sparks

Re: Margaret Noodin — Ojibwe Professor [AKA Margaret Noori]
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2021, 06:48:58 pm »

Quote from: Sparks on April 23, 2021, 08:17:23 pm
I found her original surname (I hope) together with a different spelling of her first name, too:

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Noodin
Margaret A. Noodin (born Margeret Noori, 1965) is an American poet and Anishinaabemowin language teacher. She is a Professor of English and American Indian Studies at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.

I wonder if Margeret is a misspelling for Margaret? I find several publications both by Margaret Noodin and Margaret Noori, but none by Margeret Noori. Several websites repeat the wording I quoted from Wikipedia, it might be a misspelling, with one single source being quoted again and again. (Then again, she might have changed from Margeret to Margaret long before she changed her last name.)
Seems I didn't find her original surname, after all. The phrase "(born Margeret Noori", 1965)" was removed 3 days later:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Margaret_Noodin&action=history
"26 April 2021? Ssenier talk contribs?  …  (removed inaccurate and unsourced birth name)".

The person who removed the phrase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ssenier

I was inspired to join Wikipedia in part by the #tooFEW Feminist Takeover of Wikipedia on March 15, 2013. I teach Native American literature at the University of New Hampshire. I have assigned my students to add to the List of writers from peoples indigenous to the Americas, and I have presented with User:Vizjim at the Native American Literature Symposium on how to improve Wikipedia's indigenous content. You can see the archive for our 2015 meetup, and contribute.
This user lives in the U.S. State of New Hampshire. This user is a member of WikiProject Indigenous peoples of North America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Indigenous_peoples_of_North_America

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2022, 12:55:43 am »
Posted by Cetan

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2021, 06:57:11 pm »

Noori was her last name when she lived here in Ann Arbor, that is her now ex-husband's last name

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2022, 01:12:15 am »
Posted by Diana*

« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2021, 12:07:02 am »

Legal name change laws vary from state to state. She can also have her birth certificate legally changed to Noodin. Piff was the expert on name changes, I wish she was still here, we sure could use her help.

*Emoji removed by advancedsmite during reconstruction of thread due to html issue. See attached PNG file for reference.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2022, 01:14:19 am »
Posted by verity

« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2021, 02:22:59 am »

*waves* I'm here Diana, just with this new different name. I occasionally go through online burn out and disappear for awhile.

We have quite a bit here already. This whole thread is a great resource for anyone wondering about her claims. Maybe more leads will eventually churn up too.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2022, 01:16:22 am »
Posted by verity

« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2021, 02:26:53 am »

Quote from: advancedsmite on June 05, 2021, 05:20:47 pm
After researching Margaret Noodin, it is impossible to believe that she has not been 100% intentional in her deception. I’ve created a timeline with name change/court records alongside how she was identifying herself in articles and published work.

Can you share your timeline with us? I know these can be an immense amount of work to compile.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2022, 01:19:06 am »
Posted by Diana

« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2021, 04:46:34 am »

"Waves back" well it's good to know you didn't leave us. Happy to have you back.

Quote from: verity on June 09, 2021, 02:22:59 am
*waves* I'm here Diana, just with this new different name. I occasionally go through online burn out and disappear for awhile.

We have quite a bit here already. This whole thread is a great resource for anyone wondering about her claims. Maybe more leads will eventually churn up too.

Offline Advanced Smite

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2022, 01:21:50 am »
Posted by advancedsmite

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2021, 06:01:57 am »

Thanks for asking, Verity. I can share a high level timeline of early name changes which, in my opinion, is the key to everything. I'm still compiling and organizing a detailed timeline with everything. Some of the information below was shared earlier in the thread but the biggest breakthrough in my research was figuring out the Benda/Bodellan name situation.

1965 - Birth
Name: Margaret* Ann O'Donnell
Parents: Terrence & Ann (Orr) O'Donnell
*Used Peggy/Peg in childhood, used Meg in later years

12/30/1988 - Marriage
Spouse: James Bradley Benda
Name Used: Margaret Ann O'Donnell

1/4/1989 - Name Change (screen shot attached)
Petitioner(s): Margaret Ann O'Donnell & James Bradley Benda
Requested Name(s): Margaret Ann Bodellan & James Bradley Bodellan

10/2/1990 - Divorce from James Bradley Bodellan (aka James Bradley Benda)
Name Used: Margaret Ann Bodellan*
*Began using the name "Margaret Ann Aerol" after divorce. As Verity mentioned, it is possible that the name change was requested during divorce proceedings. It would be ideal to have official documentation of the name change but I have found multiple records that together make it clear that Margaret Ann Bodellan is Margaret Ann Aerol.

6/5/1991 - Marriage
Spouse: James Thomas Christensen
Name Used: Margaret Ann Aerol

3/22/1993 - Divorce from James Thomas Christensen
Name Used: Margaret Ann Aerol

Later Name Changes - Usage of her 2 most recent names (Noori and Noodin) is well documented through her faculty positions at the University of Michigan and UW-Milwaukee. It would be great to find official documentation of the Noodin name change but it may not be available. Either way, Noodin wasn't her maiden name or even a family name. All of this information was found in publicly available records. I have multiple sources that support each piece of information.

I genuinely kept hoping to find something that would substantiate her various claims of Ojibwe ancestry. I still hope to find something that will change how things look right now. There are no winners in this situation or situations like it.