General > Frauds

Passing as Native Musicians

<< < (2/25) > >>

Unegv Waya:
Hm . . .

What he posted about how the award is given to the producers if no one artist on a release has at least 51% of the credit is correct.  That is how the industry does things.  He is also correct about the requirements, or lack thereof, to record, produce and submit music in any genre.  For example, one does not have to have black ancestry to be in the Soul genre.  The same is true for any of the indigenous or World genre music.  If a native artist wanted to record and produce a Reggae release there would be nothing to prevent his/her doing so or prevent the artist from being nominated for or receiving an award in that genre.  Those are the industry standards.

This is why I've advised some young native artists to look hard at the industry standards and the contractual obligations that even touring as a front group entails.  Some of the things that are SOP in the industry do not quite complement some traditions.

I don't know DSE.  Never met him either but those who I know in the industry who have worked with him have always said he never claims to be native by blood.  Thus, I still don't see where he is misrepresenting himself.

You see, when I saw this topic I thought he may have switched his format and was claiming he was native or was getting involved with endorsing some sort of wannbe ceremonial group or something like that.  Unless I've missed something, I don't see where he is making the claims that earmark a fraud.

tawodi:
Douglas Wallentine (Douglas Spotted Eagle) has only been honest about having no blood in the last few years since his claim of "Lakota" was disproved.  When I first met him, he claimed Lakota but said his BQ was too low to enroll.  If you have ever seen him perform, he blatantly tries to give the impression that he is NDN to his audiences.  Now, he claims "adopted" and "raised" as Lakota.  Believe me, he was raised white and Mormon.  Many real Indians have worked with him over the years and he sucks credibility off them.  Some are still his friends and supporters.  Many are not.

bls926:
I agree with Waya; if Douglas Spotted Eagle doesn't claim to be Native, why is he being called a fraud? Anyone, any race and/or ethnicity, can sing any type of music. These awards aren't given for the race/ethnicity of the performer, but for the type of music.

Was he adopted by a Lakota family twenty-six years ago? Was he dancing at powwows when he was thirteen? Is he married to a Dine woman? Seems like he's accepted by many Native people.

Switching "subjects" . . . John Two-Hawks . . . Does anyone know for a fact that he is not Lakota? Before we label him a fraud, I think more investigation is needed. I know there's a thread on Two-Hawks in Research Needed, but now he's been called a fraud on this thread. It seems that Two-Hawks has been doing what he does for quite a few years and has been accepted by many. He performed some of the music in HBO's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. There's pictures of Two-Hawks with Adam Beach on his website, as well as pictures with Lakota and Mvskoke. This doesn't necessarily prove he's Native, but it's something to think about. Yes, he conducts seminars and has written some questionable books, but that doesn't make him a fraud either. I know of enrolled Lakota who aren't above selling a ceremony or two from time to time. It isn't right, but it doesn't make them frauds. I think we should know, without a doubt, that someone is lying about who and what they are before we call them a fraud.

Unegv Waya:
If he made that claim to you then that does put a different light on it, Tawodi.  I never knew that he had ever claimed to be native; only that he was raised in a native community.  As we have discussed here in other topics, being adopted by a native family does not mean one is a member of that tribe.

BlackWolf:
If people want to present their music as Native inspired, then that’s all well and good.  But by people identifying as Native American Musicians, when from what’s know, they probably aren’t, this is nothing more then CULTURAL THEFT and they are STEALING one of the only things that Native people have left that they can claim. These people and people like them can win all the Nammys they want and identify as Indians all they want, but that’s NEVER going to make them Indian.  INDIAN BLOOD makes you Indian, not Nammy awards, not dressing up in buckskin, and not learning to speak Native languages.

bls926 said

--- Quote ---It seems that Two-Hawks has been doing what he does for quite a few years and has been accepted by many. He performed some of the music in HBO's Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. There's pictures of Two-Hawks with Adam Beach on his website, as well as pictures with Lakota and Mvskoke. This doesn't necessarily prove he's Native, but it's something to think about.
--- End quote ---

For me its not really something to think about.  All thats never going to make them Indian.  Just because he's accepted, is a talented musician, and has taken pictures with Indians doesn't really mean much as far as being Indian goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version