General > Frauds

kunsikeya.org / Beverly Little Thunder & "Wimmin's Sun Dance"

<< < (3/8) > >>

frederica:
Only seen that magazine a few times and it definately class orientated, with no empathy for Indian or Hispanic women. Since I didn't follow it much always wondered if I missed something. I guess not.      frederica

Defend the Sacred:
Ms. is very mainstream.  Their politics are liberal, not radical. 

I think in general white Americans are incredibly dense when it comes to most of these issues.  I used to believe that being a minority in some way (lesbian, etc) would make people more sensitive to interlinked forms of oppression.  I'm not so confident about that anymore. 

When I was first attending lesbian and feminist events in the late seventies and eighties, it was a given that we had to fight racism, classism, etc.  Now, it seems like most just want to assimilate.  I feel like a dinosaur sometimes. 

I've also seen former radicals sell out and go mainstream, and people I thought had good politics turn out to have a hidden agenda and not be trustworthy or honorable at all.  Live and learn....

earthw7:
I printed out the articles and showed it to our tribal people here.
Everyone was pretty shocked.
Beverly Little Thunder is an enolled member here on Standing Rock.
We can find no one who know of this event happened that she talkls about.

The Standing Rock Sioux does not support this type of activity.

educatedindian:
For a long time Huhanna Hickey, a Maori gay woman and disabled rights activist, was a dedicated member here. Her health and obligations ot other issues finally kept her from taking part. There have also been at least three or four other gay members of NAFPS that I recall.

Moma_porcupine:
Earth7

--- Quote ---The Standing Rock Sioux does not support this type of activity.
--- End quote ---

I have heard of women being Sundancers , even to the point of being pierced . But then I've also heard the woman just being support to the men who danced , mainly by seeing to the practical running of the camp and seeing everyone had what they need .

Were these woman, who were talked about in the first article , disrespecting some important protocols in doing what they did ?

Do most Lakota believe there are parts of the Sundance that should be restricted to men ?

At what point is a woman participating in a Sundance crossing a line and being disrespectful ?

I don't know if this is something people feel comfortable to explain , but it is something I have wondered about .

I'm guessing proper respect for traditional protocols , would be what's most important. But I have heard so many different things I'm not sure what they are .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version