Author Topic: canadian sweepstakes  (Read 3739 times)

Offline sapa

canadian sweepstakes
« on: October 06, 2007, 09:03:10 am »

I know this is way off subject base but we need your help. My husband was just notified he won a sweepstakes based in canada. the money prizes are held in an account in cancun. They want our banking info to make a draft deposit into our acct. This is problably a hoaz but as we have recently found out I have advanced liver failure and must have a transplant immediately and the mmedicare system says it will be sometime before they can get the paperwork done ( 1 plus years) we are praying this isnt a cruel joke. Anyone heard of something like this?
sapa

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

Re: canadian sweepstakes
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 01:42:35 pm »
we have recently found out I have advanced liver failure and must have a transplant immediately

I'm really sorry to hear that, Sapa. It's not a cruel joke, it's a cruel scam. If it was legit they'd just send your husband a cheque.

These slimeballs will talk a mile a minute to persuade you that there is some complicated reason why they can't do that, maybe something to do with helping you to avoid tax on the "winnings", or that taxes must be paid on them. Don't listen: they will empty your bank account if you let them. Inform the police.

A couple of links:

Bank clerk credited with thwarting scam

An alert, caring bank clerk in Alton prevented an 88-year-old man from clearing out his bank account last week and sending his money to scammers supposedly representing the "Canadian Sweepstakes."

Lottery Scam Targets Elderly

Every year, one out of three adults in the United States gets a call from a con man, and the very best in the business of telemarketing fraud are known in the con game as "the closers."
They are the smooth, persuasive talkers who convince people to send them millions of dollars based on a phone conversation.
Recently, the most talented closers in the business have been working something called the Canadian lottery scam, one of the largest, most successful cons ever.

Will you let us know how you are geting along?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 01:51:27 pm by Barnaby_McEwan »

Offline plz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: canadian sweepstakes
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:16:57 pm »

My husband was just notified he won a sweepstakes based in canada.  we are praying this isnt a cruel joke. Anyone heard of something like this?
sapa

PLEASE! don't fall for this horrible scam!  My elderly mother did and was bilked of $50,000.

Just this past week there was a large news story about this very thing.

With deep hope for a speedy positive resolution to your health crisis,
pattyz