Author Topic: Do Elders, Tribes and People care about our culture. Or is it a giveaway?  (Read 9507 times)

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
Over the years here at NAFPS, many people have aked us? why we try and protect our various native cultures, when they do not see tribal councils, elders doing the same.

Well they do.

I am not going to go into naming anyone yet, until there is an outcome, and decision made.

However I have had news from my people, that one of our tribal members is facing disenrollment in a hearing before the tribal council, and may have already been removed because of a resolution passed in Oct 2007. Only one other person has been disenrolled from the tribe and it was because there was no direct blood relation as the person was adopted.

The reasons for justifying this latest disenrollment action are that the person " improperly disclosed, performed, exploited and / or disrespected Tribal culture, unwritten sacred laws, spiritual, religious, ceremonial traditions and practices".

The person facing the hearing, says he is a ceremonial leader for a dance called the " Naraya ", which he and others around the world have been doing " Under the Tree of Life ". But insists it is not the ghost dance.

Its funny though that a dance by the same name is our ghost dance, so let us await the outcome. As soon as I hear from the rez, I will let ya all know.
To Old To Die Young

Offline NanticokePiney

Re: Do Elders, Tribes and People care about our culture. Or is it a giveaway?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:57:38 am »
 I see several Lakota "Spiritual Leaders" throwing out the Sundance like it's a hobby. Letting people dance whose background they never checked. Tribes need to crackdown on this crap. It's good to hear that one is.

Offline piya

• I Love YaBB 2!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 06:37:07 pm »
Clyde Hall, a former tribal judge, has had his enrollment reinstated to the Shoshone & Bannock Tribes. After first a closed and then open to tribal members hearing which lasted 13 hours.

Apparently the council advised Hall to stay off the internet and respect the tribal elders wishes, to which he must have agreed.

To Old To Die Young

Offline Chaska

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 09:02:19 pm »
What I have seen over the decades is that in Traditional Ways, a agreement is made by the spiritual leader, with the Helpers (spirits) of Creator...to help all the two leggeds....once a Traditional Spiritual leaders helps and succeeds in the ceremony, then the two legged is awed by the Sacred Power and changes themselves for the better....many times it is the non indians who recieve help, when all else has failed......inturn as time goes on they mimic the spiritual leader, and confabulate in their own mind that the Helpers are helping them to help others.....that is the mistake...from that mistake they feel they are connected.....to become spiritual leader involves tremendous self discipline, involving FASTING (no food, no water, no sleep and continuious prayer to the Creator, a minimum of four days or more....to establish a spiritual connection where the Helpers appear and a blessing is given to help others....these non indians who mimic do not have a connection, have not been born into the Traditional Ways, by their bloodline.....their bloodline is where their ancestors come from, Europe, Asia, Africa or where ever....they must go back to where their ancestors originated, for Creator assigned helpers in that territory, and it is there that they should connect....just as in this country, Creator assigned helpers that connects with the Red Man......when the connection comes, it is in the Red Man language only....no english, no spanish, no african, no asian.....so over there in these other countries, that anceint language is the language the helpers will speak to a person seeking a spiritual connection....
So, traditionals who knows this and sees these non Indians who mimic the Ways, then they know the person is confused and in the end either hurt themselves, others or their family..........THAT will be the end result of what they mimic.......so we say "they are blinded"........  In this country, the power is placed in everything around us, how we use the power by our spiritual connection is in our DNA, our spirit....so we carry out the Will of the Creator in the Sacred Design of life.......we help all, even the animal nations.....always remembering that all creation was created before our own creation, therefore all creation is our grandfathers and grandmothers.......so traditionals humble themselves before all Creation and the Great Creator....

Offline PaxMan

Very thoughtful, insightful. Glad to see a few tribes developing their own policies. Does anyone know of other tribes/nations/communities doing the same? I worry about people going on a rampage against nuagers for not having their tribal sanction, when the rampagers clearly do not have the tribal sanction to do so either! What have the spokesmen for the tribes said about THAT? Has anyone thought to get a consensus from the tribes, nations, traditionals? I'd feel alot better quoting a consensus of Native Leaders rather than this game of 'someone said' and 'all Indians feel..." Since when did ALL Indians (or any other group) ever share the identical feelings/thoughts about ANY topic? If they had, Europeans would never have lasted here in the first place. Maybe now is the time to gather the tribes in one heart, one mind consensus? Anybody else interested in pursuing that option?

Offline Barnaby_McEwan

I'd feel alot better quoting a consensus of Native Leaders rather than this game of 'someone said' and 'all Indians feel..." Since when did ALL Indians (or any other group) ever share the identical feelings/thoughts about ANY topic? If they had, Europeans would never have lasted here in the first place. Maybe now is the time to gather the tribes in one heart, one mind consensus? Anybody else interested in pursuing that option?

Paxman, why not quote what the elders from your community have to say about it? By the way what is your community? You've posted in nearly every part of the forum but not posted anything about yourself in the intro section, which we ask everyone to do.

Offline earthw7

• Standing Rock Tourism
Very thoughtful, insightful. Glad to see a few tribes developing their own policies. Does anyone know of other tribes/nations/communities doing the same? I worry about people going on a rampage against nuagers for not having their tribal sanction, when the rampagers clearly do not have the tribal sanction to do so either! What have the spokesmen for the tribes said about THAT? Has anyone thought to get a consensus from the tribes, nations, traditionals? I'd feel alot better quoting a consensus of Native Leaders rather than this game of 'someone said' and 'all Indians feel..." Since when did ALL Indians (or any other group) ever share the identical feelings/thoughts about ANY topic? If they had, Europeans would never have lasted here in the first place. Maybe now is the time to gather the tribes in one heart, one mind consensus? Anybody else interested in pursuing that option?
what?? a person can only speak for their own tribe and all culutre do not related toone another.
In Spirit

Offline Defend the Sacred

• Global Moderator
I worry about people going on a rampage against nuagers for not having their tribal sanction, when the rampagers clearly do not have the tribal sanction to do so either!

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I know of no Nation that supports people from outside their communities posing as Native Americans or using parts of their ceremonies without permission.

What have the spokesmen for the tribes said about THAT?

Quite a lot, actually. Search the other threads for Declaration of War, Protection of Ceremonies, the statements from Cherokee officials, and all the NDNs of diverse nations coming forward about the Rachel Holzwarth fraud.