Author Topic: Mark Robert Lumaye AKA Shaman Swadwa AKA Gothi Thorbjorn (Central Oregon Coast)  (Read 45246 times)

Epiphany

Re: Mark Robert Lumaye AKA Shaman 'Swadwa' (Central Oregon Coast)
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 02:16:51 am »
Looking over his website further - he writes that he uses rattles, drums, talismans, and stones (including crystals).  A lot of his stuff sounds like nuage core shamanism now with an overlay of Asatru. Although he has changed his persona - a lot of the language is the same, including the "paranormal services" he offers.

His illogical equation of:

Njord is the god of sea, seafaring, wind, fishing, wealth, and crop fertility AND local people of the Oregon coast are concerned with sea, seafaring, wind, fishing, wealth, and crop fertility SO they are obviously exactly the same AND therefore Njord is the most influential god up on the lives of the people of the Oregon coast

.......is really disturbing.  Pure b.s.

Please feel free to comment and share (traditional) stuff here. Also feel free to ask me questions about what I do, about spiritual things, and those seeking help with spiritual matters.

Quote inviting comment is on his Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NoaidiThorbjorn (link now down)

But beware, he'd like to be your Leader:

The Gothi (Goði in the traditional Old Norse) is the spiritual leader of his people. Did you know that the old Norse looked to their spiritual leader for all their leadership?

New site: http://heathen.spruz.com/

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:33:20 am by Epiphany »

Epiphany

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2012, 02:35:18 am »
Name tally so far:

Shaman Swadwa (Etaminua)
Shadow of Man
Robert LuMaye
R.J. LuMaye
M. Robert LuMaye
Mark Robert Lumaye
Shaman_Cougar
Spirit Cougar
Gothi Thorbjorn
Noaidi Thorbjorn
Thorbjorn of Dane
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:44:57 am by Epiphany »

Offline catbus

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:54 am »
Another name he used was Noaidi Thorbjorn. He had another weebly site under that name, and pretty much everything was cut and pasted from the shaman swadwa site, but instead it just said Noaidi rather than shaman swadwa.

Thorbjorn is a traditional Scandinavian shaman called a noaidi (pronounced noid-eh). The noaidi’s roots stem back to the original native inhabitants of Scandinavia (i.e.the Sámi peoples). These people’s shamanistic beliefs predated the Vikings. The Norse did not have shamans, but would often hire a noaidi to provide shamanic services for them; for their beliefs often overlapped as did their gods.

He sure makes a lot of claims about being traditional spiritual leader of this or that culture. These are lies though. Based on what facts have been gathered, he is neither a 'traditional Scandinavian shaman', nor is he a 'traditionally-apprenticed Chinook/Tsinuk shaman/etaminua/Chief/Elder', etc.

Thorbjorn is also a firm believer in traditional apprenticeships and does not believe in modern shamanic paid education or the practice of Core Shamanism and does not offer such educational training.

He opposes the non-traditionals, while claiming to be traditional. Yet he basically peddles the same thing that alot of the harneristic and fake-ndn pseudo-shamans peddle. He's advertising a bunch of services all over the web, offensively stereotypical and bogus services such as 'spirit animal introduction', etc... all of these factors are white new age fraud 'red flags'.
And why the need for different names and personas? Why not just be honest and upfront? If one supposedly hails representing a traditional culture, there should be no need to hide and make up personas, that person should be proud of who they are and not have a psychological need to advertise supposedly sacred services all over the web, attempting to draw in more students and clients. He does all of this because he is not actually a spiritual leader of any traditional community, he's simply doing the new-agey 'reconstructionist mystic' roleplaying. It is sad, and it is actually pretty similar to what many appropriationist and offensive (colonialistic) anthropologists have done.

What Lumaye fails to realize, just like the anthros also usually fail to realize, is that social context and community are very important parts of the sacred traditions of many traditional cultures. One does not just research a bunch of information, mix that with an apprenticeship in a dubious lineage, and then claim it is authentic and traditional. If one presents it as anything other than a reconstructionist roleplay divorced from cultural context, that is being outright dishonest and manipulative.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:48:21 am by catbus »

Epiphany

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2012, 12:02:47 am »
Catbus have you seen this yet?:

Chinook Indian Spirits
Date: 3/15/2002
The following is a list of many of the Chinook Spirits:

Talapas
Talapas is the Creator Spirit. He is also known as the "Converter of Skookums". He is the Great Spirit. Talapas appears in the form of an elder or a coyote.
Illahee
Illahee is the Earth Mother. She appears in the form of an elder or a great sea turtle.
Otelagh
Otelagh is Grandfather Sun. He appears in the form of an elder.
Illchee
Illchee is Grandmother Moon. She appears in the form of an elder.
T'soona
T'soona is the "Spirit Bird of Fire and Lightning"; the Thunderbird.
Echanie
Echanie is the "Good Spirit of the Water". She is a benevolent spirit who "opened man's eyes" and "given motion to his hands and feet" because Talapas made man imperfect. She also taught man how to make canoes, paddles, nets, and all other tools to survive.
Madsu
Madsu is the Thunderer; a semi-supernatural being who is able to control the elements and has supernatural strength.
Tahmanawas
Tahmanawas is a totem spirit.
Blue Jay
Blue Jay is a semi-supernatural, shape-changing being who is a mischievous trickster spirit. Blue Jay most often appears in human form.
Tia
Tia is the Spirit of Death. When on is about to die, he is seen running through the village with his severed head in his hands and covered in blood.
Tsiatko
Tsiatko is a night roving demon.
Skookum
Skookum is a malevalent evil spirit.
Sasquatch
Sasquatch is a demon that is known to terrorize wandering travelers and small villages. He is proceeded by his horrid stench.
Shadowland People
A supernatural race from the shadowland where during the night time they come to life in human form, and during the day they rest as bones. They are known to torment mortals from time to time by using their supernatural prowess. They most often arrive in a heavy mist or fog.
Tlchachie
Tlchachie are the "spirits of the dead" or ghosts that roam the earth.

http://www.chinookindian.com/Talk/_disc1/00000058.htm

Also this from 2009 Shaman_Cougar:

Speaking as a part-blood Chinook Indian, and as a traditionally apprenticed shaman, I have to say this about the subject…

1. I only agree with the argument against non-natives practicing Native American beliefs when the are claiming a particular tribes approach, such as some saying they are practicing Lakota or Salish when they are not affiliated or associated with that tribe. When someone claims in general that they are practicing Native American ways, they are not hurting anyone and they are giving strength to the numbers of those who are practicing such beliefs because as we all know, the dominate religions of the world, such as Christianity had learned one thing that the Native cultures didn’t – ORGANIZATION. The more numbers behind you the stronger the voice in this world. If shamanic believers would come together, perhaps some of our federally recognized holidays could be other than Christian.
2. A religion or spiritual belief system is an ideal not a race. Is their a race requirement to be a Christian, or a Catholic, or even a Buddhist? I feel that if one feels in their soul they are a Christian, or a Buddhist or a Native American, then they should have the freedom to practice that belief. After all, in Native American history many non-natives joined tribes and worked their way up to being, chiefs, shamans, and medicine people – and they were not even born members of that tribe.

In conclusion, if they are not stepping on anyone’s toes and claiming to be a practitioner of a particular tribe’s shamanism without being of that tribe then let them. They are not hurting anyone, and they are increasing the voice of shamanism in Western Society.

http://shamanportal.org/forum/shamanism-f1/shamanism-and-nafps-t183-15.html (my bolding)

"traditionally apprenticed shaman" is a good phrase to google on when researching him

Offline catbus

A religion or spiritual belief system is an ideal not a race. Is their a race requirement to be a Christian, or a Catholic, or even a Buddhist? I feel that if one feels in their soul they are a Christian, or a Buddhist or a Native American, then they should have the freedom to practice that belief.

We are each free to express our views I guess, but what he preaches here is exactly what the new agers want to hear: that anyone should be able to 'practice Native American' if they 'feel Native American in their soul'. This type of teaching, is what colonialist- and consumerist- minded white people will use to justify the further exploitation, mockery and appropriation of Native traditions. More importantly, 'Native American' is not a religion. Christianity and Buddhism are both religions and they also have written scriptures, temples open to the public, and even both have long histories of sending missionaries out to get other people in other cultures to give up their indigenous beliefs and practices. Another crucial difference is that the concept of localized community is not an important element to the teachings of those religions, but in the sacred traditions of NDN cultures, it is very important (ie. social context is often the foundation for many ceremonies).
Yet another important difference is the fact that unlike religions, the traditions of Native cultures have rarely ever been seen as religious systems of thought that need to be imposed on others. In other words, evangelism is religious, but it is not Native. So considering all this, it is dangerous to declare that a non-NDN can 'practice Native American' anything unless they are a positive part of a Native community who is open to sharing their ways with them, and it is an authentic part of their life. Too many white people just start reading a bunch of bogus books or learning from fakes, holding bogus ceremonies, and before you know it, they are selling people workshops and offensive pseudo-'shaman' stuff.
Sure, in a better world in which there were decent people, it would be nice to be able to just say "yeah if someone wants to learn, let them learn. If white people want to go seek a vision in a humble way, who should stop them? That is between a person and the Spirits, no one else." In fact, there are a few authentic Elders who do share this kind of philosophy, and that is why I mention it. I respect it, but at least in this forum, I have to say that in this consumerist and ego-centric society, it isn't a realistic philosophy. White people will not just go humbly seek a vision, they will come back declaring that they have become a reincarnated cherokee medicine man or some kind of mayan mystic or something like that, and before you know it, they are misrepresenting some culture, and/or selling people workshops and offensive pseudo-'shaman' stuff.

After all, in Native American history many non-natives joined tribes and worked their way up to being, chiefs, shamans, and medicine people – and they were not even born members of that tribe.

This is true, and there is nothing wrong with that, but something that should seriously be emphasized is that these people became a part of those tribes by living with and being a part of the tribe. It was a matter of community, rather than just simply 'feeling it in their soul'. To be a part of any social community, there has to be at least some form of mutual understanding. I could see it very likely that newagers would encounter 'Swadwa's' teachings, and not really understand the difference. I'm also a little bit curious if he even really understands the difference.

Offline catbus

There may need to be a separate thread on the apprentice. A new update on her page:

Thornbjorn the Dane

Traditional Path

2009 – 2013 (expected)

Apprenticeship with traditional Shaman in traditional Norse Gythja path. Specialty - earth medicines, shamanic healing, sound healing.

I am an enrolled member in the Tsinuk Native American tribe, and spent three years learning the traditional Medicine Woman path before embarking on the Norse spiritual path.

My intuition tells me, prepare to watch this clueless shameon perpetuate a heap of new age learned from 'swadwa'/'thorbjorn'/rj/whatever.

Epiphany: Another one for the name list: 'Thorbjorn of Dane'.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 02:28:28 am by catbus »

Epiphany

http://www.beyondword.com/about/people Photo of the apprentice Rachel Hayward with bio
LinkedIn page http://www.linkedin.com/pub/rachel-hayward/3b/648/5a2

Her transition from "traditional Medicine Woman path" to "Norse spiritual path" sounds like it is regarded as casually as taking off one coat and putting on another. I wonder if her mentor Lumaye made this shift himself from convenience, thinking he will attract less criticism if he goes pseudo - Norse.

So in August Hayword's LinkedIn bio was:

"Rachel Hayward's Education
Shaman Swadwa Medicine Woman, Traditional Path
2009 – 2013 (expected)
Apprenticeship with traditional Tsinuk (Chinook) Shaman in traditional Tsinuk Medicine Woman path. I am an enrolled member in the Tsinuk tribe, and look to bring back this sacred path."

now:

Rachel Hayward's Education
Thornbjorn the Dane
Traditional Path

2009 – 2013 (expected)

Apprenticeship with traditional Shaman in traditional Norse Gythja path. Specialty - earth medicines, shamanic healing, sound healing.

I am an enrolled member in the Tsinuk Native American tribe, and spent three years learning the traditional Medicine Woman path before embarking on the Norse spiritual path.

LuMaye's most recent announcement of upcoming fiction writing project:

Saga of a Gothi Björn
The adventures of Björn, a modern Norse priest called a gothi and his adventures battling with hvethrungr such as trolls, demons, and the like.

back in September it was:

Coming Soon
Shaman of the Northlands
A brand new series of shaman stories involving a Scandinavian shaman named Bjorn.

Offline catbus

Epiphany: Exactly, taking off one coat, putting on another. If it is possible to cut and paste all the information in the above post, it may be good use that to start a new thread. We can put a link to this thread in there also. Because that will make it so people researching Hayward will hopefully find this info also.

Epiphany

Offline tsalagi43

Welllllll....lemme tell ya.  I did biz with this phony for a time.  What a JERK.  He claims to have been apprenticed by WHOM?  How many Chinook 'shamans' are there in Appleton, Wisconsin?  He pushed me to volunteer with 'his' tribe, because he was FAR too busy to do so himself.  I spent a lot of time with him PERSONALLY.  So, I volunteered, and one day the chairman comes up to me to ask me how I know him, how well I know him, etc.  Because he's blabbing to EVERYONE on the Long Beach Peninsula about how he is a Chinook Shaman!  (I was not raised in my culture, so I didn't know better at the time, but now I know we don't have 'shamans').  He pulled his ego trip one too many times on me while sitting at the tribal office with his mom and his soon-to-be-wife whom he met on the internet (while chastising someone else for meeting mates online, mind you), trying to tell them how lost they were, etc.  Well, finally, he got called to a council meeting.  He showed up, red in the face, saw me sitting there with the elders, and broke into hives.  We still laugh about it to this day.  He was told that unless he could PROVE he was Chinook (which he could NOT, and he was claiming as much as 1/4th, while being a big, gooney, Baby Huey looking character), he was NOT to call himself a "Chinook Shaman".  He went around telling everyone how backwards 'his' tribe was, etc.  He finally left the area, and ended up in Portland, making the same claims.  Well, Chief Snyder lived in Portland, and his family got word back to the tribe.  He took off again.  I thought he'd gone back to Appleton.  His brother does a comic strip about a Viking called Icy Shorts.  Had an awesome cat, though, called Komkomis.

Offline tsalagi43

My email to the tribe bounced back, so I'll either call them tomorrow (and a friend of mine is on the council), or I'll just drive right down there.  It's ten miles away.  (better than the 40 miles it was at the time Mark was living down there).  Oh, and he told me he was trained by Oneidas.  His mother is a very nice person, though.  She's put up with a lot from him.  Whomever put that pic up of him with the sun glasses and beard...yeah, that's him...much heavier.  Oh, and he did time in the military, so he's a 'veteran'...Navy.  Has some sort of damage to his legs from it.  Can't heal himself, I guess.  And his birthday is Feb. 29th, 1964...leap year baby.  What more would you like to know?

Offline tsalagi43

Just spoke to the tribal chairman...he is going to look into this, and I'll leave a phone message with the office (no one is in, despite it being their business hours...but isn't today President's Day?--would explain why NO ONE is getting back to me, I guess...), and he says the name Rachel Hayward doesn't sound familiar to him, either.

Offline catbus

Tsalagi43: thank you for stepping forth and sharing the information you have shared here. I truly hope that this white devil shaman-wannabe colonialist will be stopped, and people will quit buying into his obviously fabricated, new agey and bogus act.

Moderators: it seems that this thread and that of the apprentice, should be moved to the frauds section, as these figures are unquestionably frauds misrepresenting a tribal nation and culture, disrespectfully claiming medicine tradition and services they know nothing about, have no right to be claiming and advertising, etc.

Swadwa has changed his internet identity to that of the supposed gothi thorbjorn nordic mystic. But I wouldn't be surprised that if he meets people stupid enough to buy into that act, he will still play on the (I'm also a tsinuk shaman) act also. He does still have profiles on the 'shaman' websites, claiming to be a traditionally-apprenticed tsinuk 'shaman'.

With all the respect I have for local River tribes, I will say I hope that the word gets out more, because I have met too many, young and old, who don't know anything about their own ancestors or culture, and rather believe a bunch of stereotypical garbage that the enemy taught them to believe.

Offline tsalagi43

Oh, and his business started in downtown Long Beach, called "Cougar Tracks", with a 'totem' designed by some friend of his.  He lived in the back room until his mom moved to the area, then he moved in with her (I used to stay there all the time).  Then he moved the shop to a house north of downtown.  I and a lot of other people did a LOT of work to help him open that place.  He was taken in, himself, by a guy who claimed to be from Rosebud Rez.  I looked into this guy's prison record and there is no mention of being Native, so the taker got taken, as well.  I'm sure it was him, who broke into the shop and ONLY stole the most expensive items.  Including 'his own' works.  He sold CD's, jewelry, native items, herbs (provided by me), etc.